‘The Bump’ is it a positive or negative?

stillfirstclass

Rural Deviation -- "something that’s always boggled my mind of why management has never really used that Section 151 against our craft.."
How would the PO correct a route that is run under more than 3 hours every week?
At one time PMs were rewarded for "controlling" rural hours. The PO also likes to use the bump to continually push us. I see no motivation for management to take action.
As far as working harder and efficiently. I used to think that way.
There are many factors that affect how a carrier can finish under evaluation. Read the responses on this board.
An example: All of our directs( Businesses) were eliminated.
Two routes get 4 feet of presort. Route 1 has to case all of the flats to residential customers. Route 2 only cases 2 feet. The other 2 feet get sorted into tubs for those businesses.
Is route 2 working harder and more efficient?
We have talked about the problems with the evaluated system.
Hourly solves all. The only group upset would be the harder working & efficient carriers. :unsure:
Btw, I love evaluated. I usually work 35-38 on a 46K.
one mailcount with anal counters, anal district, corrupt managers and you'll be like me 45j working over all but 2 days a week and rushing to do that... that is what is wrong with evaluated, at least one of the top 10

FrozenToes

That's true but the route with the business probably has to dismount and go inside, probably more traffic to go thru too (takes more time on the street than the residential one)...I've been on my route for 15 yrs but was a sub for 6 before that so have done all kinds of routes...I am probably an average carrier as far as time goes, on most routes that I'm used to I pretty well always stayed within (or really close) to the evaluated times...I've always really been amazed at just how correct the times have been on most of the routes...I'm still sticking with the bump!
My point was each route gets the same time standard for the flats. The route with businesses can pitch the flats like a deck of cards. Fast! The route with businesses would get time for the dismount,etc..

DB.Cooper

I would do my best hourly or not. I always am giving it my all. Do not suggest the Craft drags the ball and chain like all the other Crafts appear to. Rural s will always rise to the occasion even when it hurts. Numbers show what a value we are they just take advantage and take and take
I'm in an all rural office.... the other day I had a dentist appt across the street from a city PO.... so as I waited in the parking lot, I watched the city peeps loading LLVs.... what a turtle race.... they'd take a parcel from their buggy, eyeball it for awhile, then individually place it in the LLV.... then stop and BS with the carrier beside them, then go back to the one at time parcel loading.... looked VERY SLOW.... I was sort of amazed at how slow they could go.... 🐢

K

Btdtret points out something that’s always boggled my mind of why management has never really used that Section 151 against our craft, but if you cut a carriers route from a 45k and they were running it on average at 36-40 hours a week and you cut it down to a 43k it is likely that carrier will still beat their evaluation by the same margin if not a larger margin.

Because it just plays into eventually screwing us. They are thinking..."Yeah, keep running that route that far under evaluation, it helps my office hours and when the next contract negotiation comes around, the arbitrator will side with us and you peons will lose again..."

We will eventually be sprinting from task to task if this keeps going the way it has been.

mwellis32

If only there was a way to apply Rural Mail Count Standards to City routes to see how it compares to hourly? Wonder how much mail would have to be cut daily on a city route if Rural Mail Count Standards were used?

mwellis32

Personally It's positive if you consistently work under and negative if consistently you work over and seen as the opposite if you are a postal manager or non-negotiating union officer. This way you keep us in a never ending confusion about our pay system and never really have to manage or be a bargaining negotiating union officer. Just hold a HIGH PAYING position.

curious

My point was each route gets the same time standard for the flats. The route with businesses can pitch the flats like a deck of cards. Fast! The route with businesses would get time for the dismount,etc..
Yes I understand what you mean about the time standards, both routes get the same standards...but the business route isn't getting hardly anything for a dismount so they would be screwed if they didn't have the same time standards...I was just pointing out that's where that time goes for them when their having to dismount/traffic and such....every 233 feet you get 1 minute a week for a dismount!

csparks

This is fascinating.
Yeah, just read thru the Piece Work Trap thing, too. Its what I call the basic "freeze-tag" scenario. That is, its like a kid's backyard game.
In the beginning, the game is fine, and all are happy. Then some bossy kid starts adding/altering rules. Its gets more complicated, but the kids will still play. This continues along like this, with more rule changes until all the kids get sick of it and just go home.

Right now, I'd guess the eval system looks so different and so complex the originators wouldn't recognize it.

mwellis32

There is just too many ways, management, plants can manipulate counts! And too many ways they can falsely call us cheaters or ass draggers! The clock will also not fix this. So how do we fix this and get treated and paid fairly? All I want is to do a job, feel like I'm appreciated and get paid fairly!

Last edited:

DB.Cooper

For me, the 800 pound Gorilla in the room is the pandemic.... how long will that stall off any kind of route evaluation actions.... route inspections, mail counts, RRECS, etc., etc.....

I've heard it speculated that 2021 could be worse than 2020.... if true, that's gonna keep a lot of stuff in a holding pattern.... js.... I'll be gone after 2021... :unsure: 🤷‍♂️😲