#101 2022 Mid-States Conference Day Two Recap

Gotrope

I think it is very disingenuous to say the 86 ppm does not include casing time. That misleads carriers into believing they will receive credit to case dps - they won't.
I can attest to watching filming of carriers pitch mail into boxes at the speeds notated. I can also attest the speeds mentioned were only capable by violating every delivery standard. Pre sorted, cased Mail, delivered by only occasionally verifying a top piece is total failure by our team. We should have demanded carriers be instructed on engineers reseach.

Last edited:

Morty

This test would've been simple for an engineer. In a controlled environment in a warehouse.

Poll the 10 most common pov and have a llv and metris. Vehicles are stationary. Have sensors on the steering wheel and gas/brake. Both hands must be on the wheel and foot on gas for driving. Brake must be depressed and foot off gas before both hands come off sensor.

A screen will be in front of the vehicle and flash the next address. There will be a tray of dps on a mail tray, and dps in a 1/2 tray in pov. You will then need to verify the address before putting in a box. The dps will have errors and cursive writing. A list of forwards and holds will be given the carrier to memorize for 2 minutes. This test will run a full tray of dps.

The controlled environment can replicate low morning light. Blinding light of morning and afternoon. Low, no light of evening. Every box made can be tested fully. Both at the correct height and at 30 inches. Both in good condition and poor condition. Normal tempos tested, but also 95 degrees and 40 degrees and 10 degrees and -30 degrees. They can make it calm, or windy. They can have a downpour.

The testers should be clueless engineers, green RCA, PTF, 1st year regular, 7 year regular, and 15 year regular. As well as all age groups with varying ailments. Poor vision, arthritis, fat fingers ect.

This is how engineers work. I know, because my brother is one. They create controlled environments as well as observe.

This controlled test would replicate everything we encounter and give a well rounded idea of what to expect for our standards.

But no, we picked sonic the ARC who's gotta go fast fast gotta go faster!

Dominator

1.00.07 - "And [handling grievances off the clock] isn't just with local stewards, it's also with ADRs, DRs, to a certain point, but DRs are salary, and full-time ADRs are salary."

Could someone ask the National Board which NSS positions are FLSA non-exempt?

(i.e., paid overtime after 40 actual workhours.)

Knowing that being a salary employee doesn't automatically make an employee FLSA non-exempt, I've been curious on whether NSS employees are properly paid for overtime hours. 🤔

Gotrope

for how many boxes? around the 25 th.... at that speed... fatigue would already be a factor....
The ones I saw were routes filmed in their entirety. But, yes, carriers did deliver at reckless speeds on plank boxes and in suburban cul-de-sacs where boxes are 80 feet apart. The routes I saw, all cased everything- including barcode spr's and accountables which is against usps training policy. Did you know...most carriers, nationwide, have no idea they are not compensated for casing DPS? And will continue to be uncompensated under rrecs. Cased or not, because of the failure of the experiment with engineers.

dark horse

This test would've been simple for an engineer. In a controlled environment in a warehouse.

Poll the 10 most common pov and have a llv and metris. Vehicles are stationary. Have sensors on the steering wheel and gas/brake. Both hands must be on the wheel and foot on gas for driving. Brake must be depressed and foot off gas before both hands come off sensor.

A screen will be in front of the vehicle and flash the next address. There will be a tray of dps on a mail tray, and dps in a 1/2 tray in pov. You will then need to verify the address before putting in a box. The dps will have errors and cursive writing. A list of forwards and holds will be given the carrier to memorize for 2 minutes. This test will run a full tray of dps.

The controlled environment can replicate low morning light. Blinding light of morning and afternoon. Low, no light of evening. Every box made can be tested fully. Both at the correct height and at 30 inches. Both in good condition and poor condition. Normal tempos tested, but also 95 degrees and 40 degrees and 10 degrees and -30 degrees. They can make it calm, or windy. They can have a downpour.

The testers should be clueless engineers, green RCA, PTF, 1st year regular, 7 year regular, and 15 year regular. As well as all age groups with varying ailments. Poor vision, arthritis, fat fingers ect.

This is how engineers work. I know, because my brother is one. They create controlled environments as well as observe.

This controlled test would replicate everything we encounter and give a well rounded idea of what to expect for our standards.

But no, we picked sonic the ARC who's gotta go fast fast gotta go faster!
Make use of those empty district buildings for these tests. Could be used to train for the Academy in safe controlled environments.