12 hours in a day

sinister minister

Best answers
In anticipation of next Monday's (7/6) mail/parcel avalanche, what is the consequence of working more than 12 hours in a day? Is this overtime eligible? Work your fingers to the bone and what do you get? Boney fingers.

Rcflyn

Best answers
Monday’s are my “k” days.
I already informed management “I’ve got a dr appointment , so don’t bother calling me”.
I do feel bad for my new sub though.

btdtret

Best answers
sinister minister -- Manglement is supposed to notify District whenever a rural carrier works more than 12 hours in a day.

-- Manglement does not like to draw District's attention to itself.

- Though many probably are on District's radar due to 2080 / 2240 issues, nanny scanner issues of backing, hard acceleration / deceleration, etc.

-- F-21 ( Time and Attendance handbook ). Section 545.2 - Recording Overtime in Excess of 12 Hours a Day:

- Any hours over 12 a day MUST be listed under the Daily Overtime block for that particular week ( see exhibit 545a = PS Form 1314 )

-- ELM Section 432.32 -- in part: employees may not be required to work more than 12 hours in one service day.

-- Article 9.2.A.1.i. -- ( short version ) regular carriers get OT when actually working over 12 hours in one day and / or over 56 hours in any one work week.

-- Boney fingers -- UNITE!!

w2e2w2e

Best answers
The time period between average daily evaluation and 12 hours goes into the endless abyss of free hours worked, but any time after 12 is paid I believe.
Yes this really sucks, have had several days when I was on a ridiculous 40k ( very recently) route that I would be 11.5 to 12.5 hours a day 3 times a week...and that .5 hour OT does NOT make up for the other 4 free hours!!

Voglio-il mio

Best answers
In anticipation of next Monday's (7/6) mail/parcel avalanche, what is the consequence of working more than 12 hours in a day? Is this overtime eligible? Work your fingers to the bone and what do you get? Boney fingers.
"May be things will get a little better in the morning"

Twingrlie

Best answers
Not “and”, it’s ”or”. Doesn’t have to be both.
Why does the contract and/or? This seems misleading. As a regular if I work one day at 12 hours and the rest at 8 hrs, will I get OT for that one day? So for the week I worked 44 hours total as an example.

psd181

Best answers
Why does the contract and/or? This seems misleading. As a regular if I work one day at 12 hours and the rest at 8 hrs, will I get OT for that one day? So for the week I worked 44 hours total as an example.
Contract is clear. Any time over 12 hours is paid as OT and any time over 56 in a week is paid as OT If you have a 40K (8 hours a day) you get to work 4 hours for free and then the 10 minutes you work over 12 is OT; unless you work over 56 in a week. Then the 12 hours is absorbed into the 56 and anything over 56 is OT..... So when you work 57 hours in a week, you get paid for 40 and then 1 hour of OT. 41 hours paid for 57 hours actual work. 16 free

Sprocket

Best answers
Yes this really sucks, have had several days when I was on a ridiculous 40k ( very recently) route that I would be 11.5 to 12.5 hours a day 3 times a week...and that .5 hour OT does NOT make up for the other 4 free hours!!
Or even more puzzling / irritating is if you work 12 hrs 1 minute.....how does the union even let these rules get written in?

40k free 4 hrs..............

RDruckus

Best answers
That's why the get so bent out of shape about 2080 and 2240.
They don't want to end up paying you for the free hours you've been working.
(If you hit 2240, they are required to pay you for all that free time between the evaluated hours and the 12hours, going back over the year.)

They try to scare you, or make it your problem.
They try to force carriers into LWOP, & etc.
If they can't give you help, or grant your leave requests or even let you use your J or K days, tough on them.
These are management failures, failure to hire, failure to schedule, failure to give needed auxiliary assistance.

I'll let them worry about doing their job, and just do my own.
If they can't do their job, I hear lots of places are trying to hire RCAs, perhaps they'd like to take a crack at that.

gotstamps

Best answers
That's why the get so bent out of shape about 2080 and 2240.
They don't want to end up paying you for the free hours you've been working.
(If you hit 2240, they are required to pay you for all that free time between the evaluated hours and the 12hours, going back over the year.)
Actually, working over the 2240 threshold changes the Carrier to hourly for that Guarantee period. Mgmt has to go back & recalculate the year per FLSA hourly standards.

Longtimer

Best answers
Or even more puzzling / irritating is if you work 12 hrs 1 minute.....how does the union even let these rules get written in?

40k free 4 hrs..............
The overtime for excess of 12 in a day or 56 in the week is labor law (FLSA) not a negotiated item!