• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

21 New Scans Daily

As previously mentioned in another post;
Scan to clock in
Scan to load vehicle
Scan to indicate mileage (LLV)
Scan to begin route delivery
Scan for lunch
Scan back from lunch
Scan for deviation from route
Scan back to route from deviation
Scan if you talk to customer about postal products
Scan for SPM’s
Scan end of route
Scan to clock out

There are some scans that will pop up as needed, I only listed what I know of at this time.

Scan to clock in
Scan to load vehicle
Scan for lunch
Scan back from lunch
Scan for SPM’s
Scan end of route
Scan to clock out

There are some scans that will pop up as needed, I only listed what I know of at this time.
So, who is it that is doing these scans... not me, so far... :unsure:

Haven't heard anything about this yet. I am in favor of scanning to clock in and clock out. If this gets implemented there will be a half dozen carriers in my office that will have to decide when they will clock in...at their actual starting time 20 minutes early or 7:30? Hopefully they make us scan at the time clock where city carriers do it. Should be interesting.

Years ago, there were a very few rural units which were put on the time clock for testing. USPS had this bright idea the time clock would do all the time keeping accounting and payroll leaving x number of hours free in the office. As you can guess, it was an abject failure. More people at the time clock meant late clock rings had to be manually corrected. Rurals do not always take a lunch... necessitating more manual corrections. Sometimes rurals detour on the road...more manual corrections. Carriers can't swipe back to office before the dispatch truck if they are still on the road. If carriers worked over 12 hours, no hiding that by shifting a portion of the hours to another day. The list goes on but, mostly the USPS made the only truly successful team effort I've ever witnessed by sending around a guy who removed all but one office from time clocks. And the last one was only because their software would not except less than one as an acceptable entry.

Scan to clock in
Scan to load vehicle
Scan for lunch
Scan back from lunch
Scan for SPM’s
Scan end of route
Scan to clock out

Good, so when a customer opens their car door at my CBUs to check the mail I'll hit the "talk to customer about postal products" scan and get paid for the interuption. "Have any outgoing, how's your mail...any issues, sure is hot today, new car?, Caviar?"

Last edited:
The scanning mentioned above is being done by the study routes, and the extra time is figured into their evaluation and they are paid to do it.
Ok but just so y’all know, the scan the packages to load truck is an amazing function! It was on my scanner for a few days and I used it 2 days in a row, it tells u when u have a package to deliver! Then u don’t have to mark ur packages! I used it 2 days and didn’t mark my packages then the 3rd day I was going to use it but it wasn’t on there anymore! Because of that day I had to learn to deliver with out them being marked, now I haven’t marked packages in over a year now! Saves me about an hour a day!!

Ok but just so y’all know, the scan the packages to load truck is an amazing function! It was on my scanner for a few days and I used it 2 days in a row, it tells u when u have a package to deliver! Then u don’t have to mark ur packages! I used it 2 days and didn’t mark my packages then the 3rd day I was going to use it but it wasn’t on there anymore! Because of that day I had to learn to deliver with out them being marked, now I haven’t marked packages in over a year now! Saves me about an hour a day!!
not worth backtracking an hour for 1 missed package

I rarely take one either but I always write in 30 minutes, I figure I do enough gabbing to take up 30 minutes!
OMG... you know there are some peeps on here who will have an absolute COW over that statement... ? ?

I recall at one time there was a drug called PCP and it made peeps go bonkers... in the rural carrier world, we have a drug called OTC, and it makes peeps go bonkers as well... (OTC = Off The Clock)... ?

I rarely take one either but I always write in 30 minutes, I figure I do enough gabbing to take up 30 minutes!

I almost always record lunch time. Maybe I put my feet up for ten minutes before I hit the street, maybe I talked to a customer about gardening or I.F. (they ask me.) If I go get hot water to make green tea, that's part of my lunch.
I almost never take this time in a way that would result in only two daily scans.

This will be interesting. Will management complain when I have 8-10 lunch scans?

Back