• Please keep questions in the Questions forum to contract, procedures, and requests for documentation. Vehicle, TSP, retirement, etc questions please post in the regular forums. Thank you

3971 submitted on Saturday, returned on Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldPonyXpress

Was told that submitting 3971 on a Saturday does not count for date of submission but that IS when I submitted my leave request. Even with it being submitted on a Monday the response should be made on Thursday. The denied hard copy was dated/signed on Thursday but not given to me until Friday, with my being in an RMPO and the signed copy coming from APO is this just the way it goes or is there a grievance here? Clerk that is in my office accepted my hard copies on Saturday and gave me the denied request today, is on my side, I wasn’t notified in the 3 day window. And I will be doing leave requests online from now on before any of you jump on that-had never had a problem with requests until now. Does Saturday not count as date of submission or was manglement serving me a bs burger?

Solution
...from the knowledgebases 'Contract-Q-and-A';
6. When does the three-day time limit for management to approve or disapprove leave requests begin?
A. The time begins on the day you submit the 3971 and receive a signed copy back from management indicating they have received the request. The time expires at the close of business on day three afterward. The day the 3971 is submitted does not count towards the 3 days. The next day is day one. If day three is a Sunday or the carrier is not scheduled on that day, the time limit is extended until the carrier reports on their next scheduled day. EXAMPLE: 3971 submitted on Tuesday and carrier gets the receipt copy. Answer must be received in writing by COB on Friday. EXAMPLE: 3971 submitted on...

Twingrlie

I think the OP did say he learned his lesson to get it signed recieved.

But I'm not being argumentative, honestly.
But if the Q&A says the clock doesn't start until the carrier gets a copy signed by management acknowledging receipt of the leave slip, is this the way mgt can wiggle out of the 3 day rule if the request is done online or over the phone?
You can’t request future leave over the phone. When it’s done online, the leave slip is submitted electronically so they can’t say it wasn’t received. That’s the great thing about eLRA. No more he said/she said.

hunchback

You can’t request future leave over the phone. When it’s done online, the leave slip is submitted electronically so they can’t say it wasn’t received. That’s the great thing about eLRA. No more he said/she said.
Again not trying to be argumentative, never used eLRA. I take it you get a confirmation number or something but is the wording in the Q&A in the contract, the wording that essentially the 3 day clock starts AFTER management returns a SIGNED copy of the leave request acknowledging receipt of the leave slip.
As I read this the eLRA request alone would put you in essentially the same position the OP is in, with nothing signed by management acknowledging reciept

Twingrlie

Again not trying to be argumentative, never used eLRA. I take it you get a confirmation number or something but is the wording in the Q&A in the contract, the wording that essentially the 3 day clock starts AFTER management returns a SIGNED copy of the leave request acknowledging receipt of the leave slip.
As I read this the eLRA request alone would put you in essentially the same position the OP is in, with nothing signed by management acknowledging reciept
The Director of Labor Relations and Postal HQ held a zoom when the contract came out with DRs and ADRs. They went over all the new contractual language. Leave submissions were gone over and eLRA was mentioned and it was specifically stated that once it’s submitted, the confirmation number is the receipt that management received it.

Status
Not open for further replies.