• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

a customer has passed..

Lyra

A customer passed away 6 months ago. His wife passed away over a year ago. Family was moving into the home and I asked if I should continue delivering mail.. I did.. I delivered bills, checks all in the deceased name..  about a month ago she returned a few pieces and wrote deceased on them…

would you submit a customer desist form or just continue to deliver mail including: electric bill, checks not in customers name?

Say a customer picks and chooses which mail they want and some of them they write deceased.. but they keep certain things like checks

Last edited:
A customer passed away 6 months ago. His wife passed away over a year ago. Family was moving into the home and I asked if I should continue delivering mail.. I did.. I delivered bills, checks all in the deceased name..  about a month ago she returned a few pieces and wrote deceased on them…

would you submit a customer desist form or just continue to deliver mail including: electric bill, checks not in customers name?

Say a customer picks and chooses which mail they want and some of them they write deceased.. but they keep certain things like checks

I “pick & choose” when mail comes in my Spouses name. Still getting credit offers so I write deceased & send it back. A few bills are still in both of our names so I need those.
Since it is still “recent” for your deceased customer, there will likely still be tax papers & the like coming that the family will need. Let them decide what to send back. If you get a chance to speak with them, ask if they still want the mail delivered. I have 3 deceased people on my route but I let the spouses/family deal with the mail until they tell me otherwise.

I’ve have simple passings and news story passings (think less than natural causes).

if somebody still lives in the house, I continue delivery until they say otherwise. It’s really not our job to check the obituary section, or make judgments.

If nobody is left in the house, I leave a pink slip with a note stating all mail is being held for pick up. Gives them the chance to decide; keep, fwd, or return

the only time i had to put deceased on mail, was a case where a guy lived alone, the box filled up, even with ubbm removed. no one claimed anything or put in a fwd. after a few months, of unc. i filed mlnf, so i wouldn't have to write on each piece. owner just this last week, bulldozed the house down. this happened probably 5 years ago.

All these posts show again how caring mail carriers are... I'm retired and my wife passed away in October... I haven't put in a deceased because I'm still getting letters to her from old friends of hers who have not heard the news... You know they would rather hear it from me...So...Thank You....Let the family decide...If you suspect any hanky panky. It is not our business...They will eventually get caught... Acting on an assumption could get you in real trouble... again...Thanks for being awesome caring people.

Back