a theory on new backing policy

MiddleOfNowhere

after another conversion on backing over 50 feet, my pm says we may have to have some people move their boxes. could this be, because the po is going to have to start paying for distance off the road, for some of these?

hockey94

Good Luck getting people to move their boxes. What reason do ya think the PO will give to people if your theory is correct ?

btdtret

Morty et al -- "And apparantly emergency placement for backing as well."

-- If manglement want to be crazy, carriers might as well go along.

-- I'm not backing my LLV up to the loading dock any more at the end of the day.

-- For those, like my last post office who pulled in nose first opposite the loading dock, refuse to back up to head to the route.

charlie

Oh my goodness... You must comply... I'm retired but an old customer asked what was going on. They got a note to move their mailbox across the street so the carrier would no longer make a left turn coming out of their driveway... Sounds logical but... It's a business... They get drop off and pick up every day. So the carrier will still have to make a left turn to get in their driveway and then a left turn to continue on the route... So instead of one semi safe left turns he now has to do 2... But that's ok because when upper dingdongs look at the route description it's ok... Wait till reccs and the carrier looks like he is going in circles and the idiot looking at his breadcrumbs has a fit... There is the right way, the wrong way and the usps nonsensical way... Ya gotta love it.

neciat

I'm with M.O.N. on this one . Think about how many years and even decades some of us have been delivering to these boxes, driveways, homes, etc. and now all of a sudden they want it to come to a screeching halt. Think about all the route inspections and the like and not one word was ever spoken about any of this. Even if you are a new employee or even if the customer had a different carrier every day, that same customer has been residing at that particular address for many years so the situation was the same for all this time and now it is an issue ? It's an issue alright ; one for which we must be compensated. The Postal Service has been formally addressed in the past on "cherry picking" and bench marking. The noise they will be hearing will be the sound of the thin ice beneath them giving way as they attempt to make people have 30 gallon trash can size mail receptacles so nothing goes to the door in a pathetic attempt to not compensate us. There will be many other "issues" coming to light. Count on it !!

DB.Cooper

One of the clerks made mention that where they check the # of backups and so forth daily... it shows if you were "over your mileage" for the day... so if you're going up and down a bunch of driveways, I assume this would put you over your routes evaluated mileage... so maybe they're worrying about RRECS requiring all miles to be paid...

Also, they've been talking a lot about walking parcels from the road rather than going up the driveways... so who knows... so far, I'm still doing stuff the way I've always done it... :unsure:

RDruckus

I missed a parcel and had to go a few extra miles to deliver it.
That is possibly to be compensated under RRECS???

Oi veh.

Staff member
I missed a parcel and had to go a few extra miles to deliver it.
That is possibly to be compensated under RRECS???
No.

I asked my union guy about this because I suffer from brain farts and he said that it will basically like it is now...you miss a parcel, you do the right thing and correct your mistake.

Blindfaith

No.

I asked my union guy about this because I suffer from brain farts and he said that it will basically like it is now...you miss a parcel, you do the right thing and correct your mistake.
I thought that's what carriers were supposed to do...been doing it my whole 22 year career; however, the rca's in our office bring them back to the office for next day delivery....management has been made aware of this...and nothing changes

UpNorth

I was put on Emergency Placement last week for backing. I had a " route inspection" but they were going to follow me?!? Something wasn't right and I knew it. I wasn't on the route for hour before they pulled me off. I was told I broke 3 safety violations.

Quick history, new OIC loves me, so all important discussions happen on my day off. I knew they had a backing standup a couple weeks ago because one of the carriers asked me a question and I asked where that came from, my day off. I was never made aware of this new policy or policy update.

My violations maybe already done in other offices but up North we have only been harped on about backing 50 feet. My first violation was pulling into a driveway that I was not sure I could turn around in. I pulled in half way so I would not need to back more than 50 ft and walked the package up the rest of the way. I was told I should have left a slip and not attempted. My second violation was not completely getting turned around in driveway before dismount. Lastly, I forgot my satchel, because they don't have a dog :( We continued a bit further when they abruptly stopped me for whatever the final straw was.

I will take the satchel hit, my bad. The other two I had not been told and told the inspector that. I was told to not play stupid with them because I should know the backing policy. I asked for options to leaving a slip for packages and they said I could walk it up. I said I thought my turn around was ok because I did a walk around to which they told me I did not. They were parked across the road at the stop sign we just left and heavily wooded. I do walk around my vehicle. I am guessing the part that sent them over the edge was when I had back to back turn around where the box is in the driveway and we back out to retrace. I just went regular 5 weeks ago, I just follow the 4003.

I was off one day and paid, partly because the OIC knew I was not made aware of this stuff, and mostly because another carrier was starting vacation the next day and we have only one sub. I was told there will be discipline coming.

I asked for clarification from OIC about how far we can walk for packages? They told me that I should not walk more than 2 car lengths? Is there something more in writing on this?

I am not perfect but I do know I am always aware of my surroundings and do take safety seriously, more so than others. To top it off, the customers get the raw end of the deal. But, that is just my opinion.

RDruckus

You were sand-bagged.
Your opinion is correct.
I'm dubious about the satchel thing, my abrasive PM gave up on that when I timed it and demanded a base hour change in writing.
Please, if you have a good steward, call them asap. Call DR.
Did they film you? Can't scanner data be used to prove they lied? Are they trying to give next sub your job?
There's a lot going on here. CYA.

RDruckus

We don't hear a peep about backing, except the standard precautions to do it safely that have always been emphasized. When digitization data for RRECS started coming in, we were told we were stopping and accelerating too quickly. (Were not told specifically who, just the "rurals.") I don't think I am.

Why are some offices being flogged with this backing BS, and others don't hear a peep?
Yes, there is backing built in to my 4003, in many places.

I don't see my Abrasive PM giving up a chance to come after me again.

Last edited:

hockey94

I was out for awhile, when I came back recently, my loser in charge brought up excessive backing and said "we would have a "discussion" based on "district" observing excessive backing, typical threat on part of mgt.

I have a very rural route, these ppl have no idea how much backing needs to be done when we drive up to these houses. Do they compare day to day amount of backing to see if there is a large difference.

Perhaps mgt could help us do our job instead of the constant nagging.

RDruckus

I thank customer who come to me with their concerns. I let them know if I can get it fixed or not.
If it's something I can't rectify, I explain that the most effective method is to
put in a cyber complaint at USPS.com.

If they do that, the managers can't blow it off. They must handle the complaint, then email district with disposition of same. ;)

Skierstmoritz

I was put on Emergency Placement last week for backing. I had a " route inspection" but they were going to follow me?!? Something wasn't right and I knew it. I wasn't on the route for hour before they pulled me off. I was told I broke 3 safety violations.

Quick history, new OIC loves me, so all important discussions happen on my day off. I knew they had a backing standup a couple weeks ago because one of the carriers asked me a question and I asked where that came from, my day off. I was never made aware of this new policy or policy update.

My violations maybe already done in other offices but up North we have only been harped on about backing 50 feet. My first violation was pulling into a driveway that I was not sure I could turn around in. I pulled in half way so I would not need to back more than 50 ft and walked the package up the rest of the way. I was told I should have left a slip and not attempted. My second violation was not completely getting turned around in driveway before dismount. Lastly, I forgot my satchel, because they don't have a dog :( We continued a bit further when they abruptly stopped me for whatever the final straw was.

I will take the satchel hit, my bad. The other two I had not been told and told the inspector that. I was told to not play stupid with them because I should know the backing policy. I asked for options to leaving a slip for packages and they said I could walk it up. I said I thought my turn around was ok because I did a walk around to which they told me I did not. They were parked across the road at the stop sign we just left and heavily wooded. I do walk around my vehicle. I am guessing the part that sent them over the edge was when I had back to back turn around where the box is in the driveway and we back out to retrace. I just went regular 5 weeks ago, I just follow the 4003.

I was off one day and paid, partly because the OIC knew I was not made aware of this stuff, and mostly because another carrier was starting vacation the next day and we have only one sub. I was told there will be discipline coming.

I asked for clarification from OIC about how far we can walk for packages? They told me that I should not walk more than 2 car lengths? Is there something more in writing on this?

I am not perfect but I do know I am always aware of my surroundings and do take safety seriously, more so than others. To top it off, the customers get the raw end of the deal. But, that is just my opinion.
Man, that is not good! We haven't heard a word about backing or any other scanner data other than scanning pkgs. All of you fellow carriers, watch out and cya. Apparently, big brother is watching!

DB.Cooper

You need to start filing grievances ASAP... sounds like you're being set up... sometimes the best defense is a good offense...

Disparate treatment... harassment... EP one day and then back to work the next day... I don't think so... that's completely bogus... again, you need to be on the phone with your ADR and/or DR... complete BS...

What about your last route inspection??? Were those backings okay then??? All things to discuss..,. just sayin'... 😳

Btw, who finished the route on the day you were placed on "EP"??? I didn't know you could be pulled off the route, and placed on EP, and then back to work the next day... what kinda $#!+ is that??? You need to be filing some grievances, and NOT have any discussions with anybody, unless there is a union rep present... Weingarten Rights... just sayin'... :whistle:

Last edited: