• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

AAA Membership for towing

Shark

Hello. I know it might be a stupid question. Please bear with me. I have beater car. I wonder I could use AAA road assistant when I'm on my route and need to get towing.

One more question. Are they able to tow to your favorite mechanic/repair shop? or tow only their AAA contracted repair shop?

I usually have mine towed home as well... but I think they'll tow it to wherever you tell them to tow it... :unsure:

If you get the AAA plus, it's only a few more bucks per year, and that covers you for up to 100 miles of towing for free... if you have just the basic, then it's only like 15 miles for free, and then so much per mile after that... so, you should check that out as well... (y)

newbieABC -- "One more question. Are they able to tow to your favorite mechanic/repair shop? or tow only their AAA contracted repair shop?"

-- The AAA affiliated tow truck took my vehicle to the dealership I requested.

-- In your case, be sure to call the post office to have someone come get the mail, either out on the route or where ever your vehicle gets towed to. Sanctity of the mail.

-- The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Years of experience here at RI just waiting to respond, so ask away.

When they hauled my vehicle I was given the impression response time would be quicker if they would take my vehicle to their shop as opposed to taking it to my main mechanic. I always gave them both some business so I would be considered a regular at either shop. My spouse picked me up and we delivered the rest of the route together; with approval of the PM.

I have a backup vehicle, and what I try to do in the event of a breakdown, is call to get somebody to bring me my backup... then I call AAA for the tow... and then the person who brings me the backup rides back with the broke down car to my house... has worked so far... worst case scenario, I'd have to ride back with AAA and get the backup... :unsure:

Also, if you're interested, some car insurance policies include free towing. My policy, with State Farm, includes 3 free tows a year. I am not a AAA member (they ticked off my husband about 30-some years ago, he dropped his membership and we've never picked it up again! Guess you could say he can hold a grudge!) I know it can be a great service, but since we HAVE to have insurance but we don't have to have AAA, we go with the insurance company tows. I've used it a number of times now and it has definitely come in handy!

Back