Advice/help to see if EEO is applicable

MikeCr.

Want to preface this by saying I really don't want to cause any trouble. A lot of different people in different crafts are having similar issues to what I'm about to ask.

Long story short. OIC in our office the past couple of months. Is not meshing well with most office because of the iron fisted way of trying to run office. Not everything done is negative, but has really started being a bully with harassing tendencies. I'm going to post a couple of notes from my logs I've been keeping, and asking if there seems to be grounds for EEO needing to be invoked. Thank you for any replies or advice. Stay safe out there!

Apologies for format. Is in rough stages of putting it simply. And some info will be "edited" to avoid identifying individuals.

- Around 710-715 am. Was stopped by outgoing doors to go grab DPS by our rural route ??, and was confronted by OIC about not answering phone on unscheduled day earlier in the week, Monday. Was told a voicemail was left on my cell phone. I replied I had not received voicemail, and was looked at in dubious manner, and was asked again why I didn't answer. I apologized and said I did not receive a call or voicemail, and stated my phone will occasionally not get calls. Stated it will do that when others have called me sometimes, namely my spouse. Was told, "You are to be available for my calls." My contact in my employee file has been my landline as I didn't have a cell when I first was hired.

- 545pm. Called on cell phone by OIC on route and asked to estimate how much mail I had left. After my estimate of 45 mins. to an hour, I was told I didn't split route well enough, and shouldn't have taken more than others. Was on highway ?? delivering 2 days worth of mail on a split after already servicing my primary route, going to RMPO, pull down said route's Friday and Saturday's cased mail that another RCA had cased that morning, loading truck and then waiting to split route between 4 other people. Was not told of time limit of 630pm until this call, around 5:45pm. Was also sent a text at 615pm instructing me not to return to RMPO, but to hub office immediately. See attached screen grabs.

MikeCr.

Never answer your cell phone! Unless the USPS pays your phone bill!
I usually don't, but I have a temp cell number at the moment. Phone is being repaired, and thought it was one of the other carriers unfamiliar with the route needing help. Quickly remedied that. Thanks for the reply.

btdtret

MikeCr. -- "Want to preface this by saying I really don't want to cause any trouble. "

-- It is your ( bully ) of an OIC that is causing the trouble!

-- Cell phone calls to carriers out on the route are for EMERGENCIES ( real ones like family matters or possible severe weather in the area ), not to find out how much mail a carrier has left to deliver. ( grievance #1 ) ( Ask for 1314-A time needed to pull of the road to respond to the call )

-- Same for scanner text messages. ( grievance #2 ) ( Ask for 1314-A time needed to pull of the road to read the text and if you answered )

-- RCA's are not on call! ( unfortunately made plain in a non-citable Step 3 decision ) ( grievance #3 )

-- On your next unscheduled day, make note of the time you sat by / near the phone but were not called. Give the OIC a 1314-A noting the date and times you waited by the phone. If the OIC refuses to pay, grievance #4! ( Some offices have an "understanding" with RCA's to be available until 9 am ( or other agreed upon time. ) If no calls, make the most of the rest of the day. But don't answer the phone later on unless you want the hours.

-- Up date your employee file!

-- Get a hold of your Assistant District Representative ( if you don't have an office steward ) with a head's up about multiple grievances.

"OIC in our office the past couple of months. Is not meshing well with most office because of the iron fisted way of trying to run office. Not everything done is negative, but has really started being a bully with harassing tendencies. "

-- Invite the OIC over to the office bullet board so you can point out / discuss the various postal policies regarding bullying and harassment. ( if no bulletin board - another grievance. )

-- You could be the next "Morty"!

MikeCr.

MikeCr. -- "Want to preface this by saying I really don't want to cause any trouble. "

-- It is your ( bully ) of an OIC that is causing the trouble!

-- Cell phone calls to carriers out on the route are for EMERGENCIES ( real ones like family matters or possible severe weather in the area ), not to find out how much mail a carrier has left to deliver. ( grievance #1 ) ( Ask for 1314-A time needed to pull of the road to respond to the call )

-- Same for scanner text messages. ( grievance #2 ) ( Ask for 1314-A time needed to pull of the road to read the text and if you answered )

-- RCA's are not on call! ( unfortunately made plain in a non-citable Step 3 decision ) ( grievance #3 )

-- On your next unscheduled day, make note of the time you sat by / near the phone but were not called. Give the OIC a 1314-A noting the date and times you waited by the phone. If the OIC refuses to pay, grievance #4! ( Some offices have an "understanding" with RCA's to be available until 9 am ( or other agreed upon time. ) If no calls, make the most of the rest of the day. But don't answer the phone later on unless you want the hours.

-- Up date your employee file!

-- Get a hold of your Assistant District Representative ( if you don't have an office steward ) with a head's up about multiple grievances.

"OIC in our office the past couple of months. Is not meshing well with most office because of the iron fisted way of trying to run office. Not everything done is negative, but has really started being a bully with harassing tendencies. "

-- Invite the OIC over to the office bullet board so you can point out / discuss the various postal policies regarding bullying and harassment. ( if no bulletin board - another grievance. )

-- You could be the next "Morty"!

Thank you for the information and reply. But is an EEO complaint for instances close to these posted a thing to do? I know that it could place a target on my back, and that they, the USPS, really don't like EEO complaints filed, but it continues to spiral downwards.

btdtret

MikeCr. -- "But is an EEO complaint for instances close to these posted a thing to do? I know that it could place a target on my back, and that they, the USPS, really don't like EEO complaints filed, but it continues to spiral downwards."

-- EEO complaints generally involve discrimination of some kind against you.

-- What you have listed ( IMHO ) is more like contract violations.

MikeCr.

MikeCr. -- "But is an EEO complaint for instances close to these posted a thing to do? I know that it could place a target on my back, and that they, the USPS, really don't like EEO complaints filed, but it continues to spiral downwards."

-- EEO complaints generally involve discrimination of some kind against you.

-- What you have listed ( IMHO ) is more like contract violations.
Okay fair enough. So some stuff may fall into "bullying or harassing" territory, would that comply? Such as being spoken down to while on the work floor? Or being told I don't care about my job because my vehicle broke down on the route, and I had no way of finishing? Also done on work floor. And thank you for the reply. I really appreciate any information.

btdtret

MikeCr. -- "So some stuff may fall into "bullying or harassing" territory, would that comply? Such as being spoken down to while on the work floor? Or being told I don't care about my job because my vehicle broke down on the route, and I had no way of finishing? "

-- Things that you mentioned should be documented - date, time, location, what was said - preferably noting anyone within earshot.

-- Both examples are more like poor leadership skills or just outright stupidity on the OIC's part. ( manglement has every right to mis-manage and they seem to take every opportunity to do so )

-- If you seem to be the only one getting the OIC's attention, then document, document, document. Then consider grieving for "disparate" treatment. Meaning no one else in the office is getting such treatment.

-- Perhaps a meeting between the OIC and your Assistant District Representative could bring out the reason for the OIC's special attention towards you or at least let the OIC know someone else is watching the office situation, which unfortunately may make for a bigger target on your back.

-- In that case, do your job by the book - safely. No reason to give the OIC an opening.

Rt2mailman

Since you have this problem of "I really don't want to cause any trouble" that many carriers have, there is not a lot you can do because to clear up "trouble" you have to cause some.
For you it would be best to ask around and see if any other carrier is having the same problems with your manager. If there is one other, have that carrier call your steward along with you and have the steward file a class action. No names need to be mentioned and you would remain in that "lemming" state that your manager believes you to be in.

sinister minister

"I was told I didn't split route well enough..."

I've gotten this too. Shouldnt management split the route? It seems like double jeopardy to be told to split a route to make dispatch, then be held responsible for doing it incorrectly.

"-- RCA's are not on call! ( unfortunately made plain in a non-citable Step 3 decision ) ( grievance #3 )"

I really need this reference. This is practically written on the wall in our office.

Morty

Not EEO yet. I have grievance settlements as such that...

No calling or texting on route. No using my personal cell for anything postal related. No abuse of the scanner, emergency only. Regular rurals are not on call. Phone will be answered if the regular wants to work.

If violated after settlements. Get more settlements. If harassment continues, then you can start looking into eeo. Because then you'll have documentation that you tried and tried and tried. But you might want to say out loud on the work room floor...

"Im tired of you calling me with your sexual advances. Please stop. I am not interested"

Now the precedent will be that each time you are called, it's sexual in nature and unwanted. But you probably aren't the play dirty type 😅

Rt2mailman

During the Christmas overtime period I was being told by my manager how slow and pathetic I was as a carrier due to the speed I was working. I was then asked to set aside parcels or mail that would cause me to arrive back at a certain time. I sat down at his desk asked for my last count info, # of parcels, Dps, and flat measurement I recieved that day, and said, "IT will take me a little bit of time for me to do YOUR JOB, are you planning on giving me some of YOUR MONEY?" I was told to go back to my case. He then came and said, "I don't know your route, I need you to do this for me". "Me the pathetically slow carrier is needed? Nope you figure it out." I went home an hour before my evaluation that day, and never was talked to again in such a manner by that manager.

Last edited:

MikeCr.

Since you have this problem of "I really don't want to cause any trouble" that many carriers have, there is not a lot you can do because to clear up "trouble" you have to cause some.
For you it would be best to ask around and see if any other carrier is having the same problems with your manager. If there is one other, have that carrier call your steward along with you and have the steward file a class action. No names need to be mentioned and you would remain in that "lemming" state that your manager believes you to be in.
I may have stated that incorrectly. I mean no trouble as in not having a solid ground to file the EEO. Grievances are in the work, but this OIC basically has the attitude, "I don't care about grievances."

btdtret

Voglio-il- mio -- "I'm so glad that I started working for the PO, I can read upside down just as well as right-side up now! Ha ha!"

-- oooops!

-- Just figured mail carriers learned to read upside down. One of the few bonuses for working at the post office.

btdtret

sinister minister -- "This is going to be handy. It's always fun to watch Mr. Lazy get that puzzled, speechless look. "

-- Hopefully "Mr. Lazy" doesn't know what "non-citable" means.