Advice please

IHTJ

New pm started Monday. Stated today that he was making us a formula office. 11 ks, 1 aux, 8 rcas 1 Reg on the rdwl. Two regs have chosen Monday’s as their relief. He said they will keep those days. They have 6 years and 4 years in. The two senior regs will have Saturday’s and the rest of us (20 years to 8 years) will divide up tues through fri. Is this right? Is this how it’s done now? There has been no complaining and we all take turns working saturdays when needed. We talk to each other and coordinate week long vacations so everybody is covered. This has slapped us out of the blue. 120 day letters have been submitted and he said if he has to go with ptfs he will covert 2 rcas keep 1 rca and get rid of the rest.

jerrylann

Grieve this immediately! Management has to do everything they can do to try to hire subs. They can't just decide to go formula! They must advertise the positions in the newspaper, on tv and radio, send out boxholders, etc. Doesn't sound like yours has done this!

Rt2mailman

It sounds to me like your new pm is lying to "11 ks, 1 aux, 8 rcas" . First he has to establish that he has been working carrier (s) in the RDWL more than infrequently. Then he has to show he has taken "all steps" to hire new rca's, but was unsuccessful. Then he would have to give current regulars an opportunity to switch their current relief day to another day to ease the burden of too few rca's, if they would want to, many would, to avoid going to a formula office. This is all spelled out in R-95 (formula implementation guidelines) in the steward reference guide on the NRLCA website. Print it off and bring it to your new pm, and say " Being new I thought you may want to read this", that way we don't waste a lot of time on grievances.

i agree with rt2 above.especialy if all the routes are in a office that work together,give and take to cover each other.do any,and everything to prevent going formula,once you go that way its way too difficult to come back

Grieve this immediately! Management has to do everything they can do to try to hire subs. They can't just decide to go formula! They must advertise the positions in the newspaper, on tv and radio, send out boxholders, etc. Doesn't sound like yours has done this!
We did all that, contacted the ADR, etc. They went formula anyway, still formula five years later. You're screwed.

MiddleOfNowhere

you can delay this a little, but working with each other to cover time off isn't your job, nor should be, and since the person in charge of scheduling wants to become a formula office, i would guess, in a few months, you will be. all routes will get to pick relief days, based on seniority, and do so wisely. as a carrier with a monday relief day, i wouldn't trade it for any other day, and i have the chance as a new rca was recently assigned to my route. i will choose monday as long as i have a choice.

gotstamps

NO plus you shouldn't be going formula anyways, call district. Just to say if you were to go formula all days are back up and done by seniority since you don't have J routes.
The Monday Carriers were by mutual agreement from what the OP states. These carriers cannot be bumped off of Monday unless the Formula is implemented & more peeps need to move to Saturday K.