AL DENIED 2 WEEKS IN ADVANCE

Jizymfly

My annual leave I requested for a doctors appointment is being denied 2 weeks in advance due to needs of service. Being mandated to work relief days at the drop of a hat (Moments Notice), what's a person to do but call in? Crazy how management cannot hire/keep RCA's, I feel like I'm being forced to be a POS employee.

FrozenToes

"Needs" is a copout.
As above grieve.
We don't know the staffing situation at your office.
All all subs scheduled? Don't need to be trained on your route if you want to push the issue.
Subs working too many days? Anyway to move people around?
Is it a relief day for another carrier? Can that carrier work? Again, if you want to push the issue. I won this as my PM was giving OT to grant leave to others but then denied me.
Try to get a sub from another office?

Shafted

Lesson learned in this situation is that if you have an important doctors appointment, and you think mgt will deny, call in sick instead. Don’t even ask for AL, or let anyone know you have an appt. Denying AL just for the fact that mgt expects others routes need to be covered while they call in sick is BS. For the first 25 years of my career I called in twice, both times being for emergency surgeries for my husband, and son. Last two years of my career were hellish. Mgt not hiring RCA’s, denying AL for this that and the other, so the conscientious dependable mindset that I always had went out the window. The day I was denied AL for a wedding because mgt wanted to use the RCA on the city side was the end of me playing nice in the sand box. Basically, if mgt wants to throw sand, they better put on goggles, cuz I’m gonna be throwing it right back. Sad what the USPS has become. Now I read that they are having hiring fairs because regulars are leaving in droves. You reap what you sow. I often think about how awful the usps is to work for right now, and how my rural friends are being mentally and physically abused. Take good care my brothers, and sisters. Practice self care, and do the little things to help you physically survive this job. Even if it’s a few minutes of stretching, or a quick back exercise while you’re getting dressed for work. Even something as small as being more hydrated helps muscles, and tendons stay happy. Stay safe

Rt2mailman

There is an Rca out there somewhere that wants to work, and can work for You. Call your local steward or any local union authorities/president. They might know of that Rca that would work actual hours on your route for overtime pay. I've seen offices called and asked to talk to the office steward/any carrier, and find out if any Rca was available, pm's often won't tell if they have someone to work because they are keeping their hours down. File a grievance and check around, if you find someone, you've won your grievance and can get a settlement that your pm will do the job that you just showed was possible for them to do.

neciat

Right off the bat, I see that in your post you stated " AL for a Dr. appointment ". Is that correct ? Annual leave and NOT sick leave for a DR. appointment ? Then , I see that you are being mandated to work your relief days as well. This would give you an X day unless you are on the list and take a code 5. Okay, this time of the year, beginning of guarantee period ( Oct. 10th ) through the end of the Christmas overtime period, any X day earned must be used that same pay period. If you work your relief day use the X day for your appointment. That takes care of making your appointment which is what is most important. Secondly, don't ever use your annual leave for a doctor appointment unless you are just flat out of sick leave. Use the sick leave as that is the reason for which sick leave is utilized. As Rt2mailmann stated, there is an RCA out there ready, willing and able to work as well as show his/her face in another office ( your office ) for perhaps another opportunity in the future to get some work because he/she did a good job. Also, there is that "50 mile" step 4 the NRLCA lost so someone from another office could be scheduled to work.

gotstamps

Right off the bat, I see that in your post you stated " AL for a Dr. appointment ". Is that correct ? Annual leave and NOT sick leave for a DR. appointment ? Then , I see that you are being mandated to work your relief days as well. This would give you an X day unless you are on the list and take a code 5. Okay, this time of the year, beginning of guarantee period ( Oct. 10th ) through the end of the Christmas overtime period, any X day earned must be used that same pay period. If you work your relief day use the X day for your appointment. That takes care of making your appointment which is what is most important. Secondly, don't ever use your annual leave for a doctor appointment unless you are just flat out of sick leave. Use the sick leave as that is the reason for which sick leave is utilized. As Rt2mailmann stated, there is an RCA out there ready, willing and able to work as well as show his/her face in another office ( your office ) for perhaps another opportunity in the future to get some work because he/she did a good job. Also, there is that "50 mile" step 4 the NRLCA lost so someone from another office could be scheduled to work.
Using an X-Day is up to mgmt, not the carrier. Mgmt schedules any Xs earned or they have to pay it out. It’s totally up to mgmt.
Reading the OPs post, it’s very doubtful that mgmt will allow an X.