• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

am i alone on this?

03PostalPrison

I'm wondering if anyone has been feeling the way i have lately. I know the others in my small office feel the same.

Can I make it till retirement?

After 21 years should I find something new to do?

The feeling of being burnt out is an understatement. The packages are horrendous and we're not even in December.  My Jeep is filled to the roof daily.  I can see out the back of it an hour into the route.  Yes I know things have changed and not what they used to be for us rurals but damn!! And i know mail volume has dropped, but I still get a good share of it daily! Yes, I know its my job to deliver everything.  Maybe it wouldn't sting as much if they didn't give us amazon 2 weeks AFTER count! 

I guess i needed to vent! ughh!

Couldn't agree more.

I see posts saying if we ever go hourly Manglement will micro-manage us to death.

We are there already at our office, start 2 minutes early PM glares at you with daggers.  Show up 2 minutes get verbal and written warning.

Don't make your evaluation because of heavy packages = DPS to the street

Told lunch break should be taken same place/time just like City Routes.

Told not to leave route line of travel for lunch even though we have POV's.

The worst part is lack of subs and the realization that no one will want the RCA job or last through the first month on a POV route.

Face it, if they want Manglement to retire they offer early out incentives.  If they want older carriers to retire they make the job more difficult than neccesary so we retire, quit or drop dead, makes no difference to them which one

<blockquote class="spPostEmbedQuote"><strong>hunchback said </strong>
Couldn't agree more.

I see posts saying if we ever go hourly Manglement will micro-manage us to death.

We are there already at our office, start 2 minutes early PM glares at you with daggers.  Show up 2 minutes get verbal and written warning.

Don't make your evaluation because of heavy packages = DPS to the street

Told lunch break should be taken same place/time just like City Routes.

Told not to leave route line of travel for lunch even though we have POV's.

The worst part is lack of subs and the realization that no one will want the RCA job or last through the first month on a POV route.

Face it, if they want Manglement to retire they offer early out incentives.  If they want older carriers to retire they make the job more difficult than neccesary so we retire, quit or drop dead, makes no difference to them which one  </blockquote>

2.Lunch may be taken in segments of less than thirty (30) minutes, at the carrier’s option, provided the time taken does not exceed thirty (30) minutes. Segments may be taken in the office or on the route, provided the normal schedule is maintained to the extent possible. The parties agree that the lunch time taken by the carrier is not compensable.

3.Rural carrier craft employees may be permitted to travel a reasonable distance off their prescribed line of travel to and from an authorized lunch stop.

hunchback -- " start 2 minutes early PM glares at you with daggers.  Show up 2 minutes [ late ] get verbal and written warning."

--  You might want to contact the Assistant District Representative about that written warning.

--  There is the "5-minute Leeway Rule" mentioned in the F-21 ( Time and Attendance Handbook ), Subsection 145.12 and in the ELM ( Employee and Labor Relations Manual ), Subsection 432.46.   Both have the same wording:

Although each employee is required to clock in and clock out on time, congestion at time clocks or other conditions can sometimes cause clock time to vary slightly from the established work schedule.  Therefore, a deviation may be allowed from the scheduled time for each clock ring up to 0.08 hours ( 5 minutes ). ...The "5-minute leeway rule" applies only to full-time and part-time schedule employees.

--  Probably manglement will say it only applies to city carriers and clerks.  However, comma, I was in a post office in which the rural carriers swiped in and out with a card, so the 4240 was not used.   That lasted about 2-3 years before going back to signing in and out on the 4240.   Swiping in and out for a Stand-up lasted only one time -- it took several minutes for the entire office to swipe and get to where the Stand-Up was being held and even more time to swipe again and return to the cases.  More than doubled the actual Stand-Up presentation!

--  Manglement will also point out that it says "a deviation MAY be allowed".   Well, it's not allowed in this office!

--  Regarding that written warning.   Was there any time limit mentioned in which it would be taken out of your record?   With "progressive" discipline, you might get an LOW, but when manglement opens up your record -- oh, look you already have some discipline issues in here!   So you might end up with a higher level of discipline or be labeled a "chronic" problem.

I am beyond frustrated too. Wondering how I will make it through Christmas. I rarely make eval anymore. At last count I averaged 40 pkgs a day. One day this week I had 167. I average around 90-100 daily. My route continues to grow and I fear I will go to l status and make even less. As it is I am probably working 5-10 hrs for free a week! And no count until 2018.  

Welcome to my world! You can thank the idiots that negotiated our contract for that one! How could they have possibly agreed to that in the contract? The USPS is screwing us and the only method that we have to try and correct our evaluations is taken away from us. No count option in 2017. What were they thinking? The USPS has us on our backs with their foot on our throats and the ones we pay to protect us are cowering in the bushes as they watch. Unbelievable!

the last few years, we have gotten no grief on evaluation at Christmas; each morning when OT starts we are asked how much help we will need to stay within evaluation and it is given no questions; but PM retired, and the new sheriff is an OIC.  Wait and see.                                       

Back