• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Am I being a dick or not?

Chwpakabra

After i left the office today i got a text from a co-worker stating that after i left, a tub of parcels(spr's) for no better word, showed up at my case. I said great. and continued on my route.

I got a scanner text asking me to come back because they found a tub or parcels for my route, i replied TRUCK FULL and continued on my route

2/3 done with my route a city carrier pulls up and gives me the tub with probably 20 or so parcels. I said you want to take the ones i already went by back with you, he said NO i was just told to give em to you. okay i took them

sorted the ones upcoming and delivered them, brought the ones i already went by back and scanned them as returned to office or something

upon return asked me what was up with the parcels at your case... i said they werent there when i left so apparently they were missorted and someone dropped them as they went by. (there truly wasnt anything at my case when i left, i do the small stuff first so i would have seen it) was told "well thats your story, was your truck full?' I said i replied with wahtever i wanted because you sent a message on the scanner thats for emergencies only, your clerks missorting parcels isnt an emergency so you are lucky i replied at all.

Chwpakabra et al -- [ mysterious tub of SPR's appears at the case after the carrier departs for the streets ]

-- May have to resort to what we did at my last post office when carriers began getting called to the office to explain a letter found in the case or under the bottom shelf -- we had a near by carrier look shelf by shelf to check for any "stragglers" We also propped up the bottom shelf with something to show nothing there.

-- Manglement "plant" something in the case? Never happen ( yeah, right! )

-- A just as mysteriously, the calls to the office stopped. Just another "postal" coincidence, no doubt!

-- Might file for disparate treatment. Carriers get dinged or threatened with a LOW for missed scans, but clerks never answer for mis-sorting parcels.

-- Same for the DPS machine operators. Oh, almost forgot, DPS gets a 2% pass for accuracy!

-- Might also file on that "non-emergency" text to the scanner.

Are you being a "jerk", no , a jerk would have called in sick the day after they "lost" your parcels.
Did you have "Withdrawal" credited to your route at the last count? If so they may make the claim that you failed to withdraw all of your parcels.
By the way, the city carrier is not your manager, and you did not have any requirements to stop or accept any thing from him. I would have said, "Yeah right, I think the supervisor sent those out with you for YOU to deliver ", and continued on.
I am a "jerk" when it comes to doing anything extra for the USPS, because I already give many hours to them for free.

I had a piece of crap coworker who’s little game was to take a few parcels out of my hamper, then sneak them back in after I marked everything. She knew that I would pull down, then go pee right before loading my truck. She used the opportunity to bury them back in my hamper knowing I wouldn’t know Ineven had them as I mark everything I can’t case. After I caught on, I returned the favor as she also marks packages. Nothing needed to be said. I stared her down with the “ this will continue as long as you want to play this shitty little game you created asshole”. Game ended right enter that. She’s a dirtbag, now delivery supervisor too. The sneaky, or con artist types usually leave for mgt.

If they were mis sorted or arrived on a later truck after you departed, the clerks have a scan to stop the clock. Therefore no reason for you to deliver unless mandated to after your run. 8127 time and EMA if applicable.

Since they were brought to you by a City Carrier on run and given no explanation of what to do ( Like I would listen to a City telling me what to do) you did the right thing by delivering the ones that were up and coming.

As to the text thing, you were correct in the emergency only use. As to your response, we only have limited phrases to reply so pick one.

In my offices and others nearby..., when the clerk mis sort is a common occurrence each parcel distribution clerk is issued their own highlighter color. As they scan and sort a dot or line is placed on the item to narrow down the possible suspect. Last time around with this procedure in my office the offending clerk was reading a pervious scan location for another route on the multiple split screens they view.

Heavens forbid a newer parcel distribution assigned clerk actually learn the scheme from the get go if it merits a scan. Rather than rely on a scanner tell sort location. It's all about getting you out the door ASAP and on the road and keeping clerk hours down.

Shafted -- "I had a piece of crap coworker who’s little game was to take a few parcels out of my hamper, then sneak them back in after I marked everything. She knew that I would pull down, then go pee right before loading my truck. She used the opportunity to bury them back in my hamper knowing I wouldn’t know Ineven had them as I mark everything I can’t case. After I caught on, I returned the favor as she also marks packages."

-- Should have "returned the favor" by removing some of her markers when she was away.

Your manager probably saw her doing the hidden parcel trick and said "Sign her up, she is "management material".
We have a story line at our office. The restroom is often reffered to as the "Manager creation center" pull the handle and send another "potential manager" to the water treatment plant also known as the postal management training center.

I had a piece of crap coworker who’s little game was to take a few parcels out of my hamper, then sneak them back in after I marked everything. She knew that I would pull down, then go pee right before loading my truck. She used the opportunity to bury them back in my hamper knowing I wouldn’t know Ineven had them as I mark everything I can’t case. After I caught on, I returned the favor as she also marks packages. Nothing needed to be said. I stared her down with the “ this will continue as long as you want to play this shitty little game you created asshole”. Game ended right enter that. She’s a dirtbag, now delivery supervisor too. The sneaky, or con artist types usually leave for mgt.

You should have been nice and bring her DPS to her.

Then "accidentally" drop it all.

Whoopsie. Have fun putting all that back in order. :ROFLMAO:

I never mess with someone's work.

I do try to understand their psychology, and benefit from that.

Example: Worked next to a person who hated my guts. She was the passive aggressive narcissistic type. :rolleyes:
(I learned a lot from her that made me a better wife, but I digress.)

She loved to find my parcels in her hamper.
It appeared to me she was thinking,, less work for her, more for me.
(I didn't view it that way. I felt they were mine the whole time.)

But, if a little thing makes you happy, I'm willing to help.

So, I started making sure a few of my parcels were in her hamper every morning.
The biggest ones made her the happiest to hand over to me, so yes, I tried to make her happy.
?

No harm, no foul.

In our office anyway, clerks bring over to us the loose letters and the postal tubs of small packages, generally 2-4 a day, we go and get loose flats. When they are done sorting parcels they bring over the last tub and generally say to us all done with parcels, thats our key to go and get our pumpkins with the remainder. What i believe happened is that a clerk put the tub into the wrong pumpkin, so it wasnt discovered by another carrier till they grabbed their pumpkin and i was already gone.

That was all that happened so far, immediatley after this i was told i had a pdi upcoming because i didnt use my blinker or flashers in a culdsac,

on the other matters stated by other posters in this thread i try very hard to NOT ACCEPT anything from another carrier, i tell thm that they get paid to bring over flats/letters that arent thiers to the throwback case, not to me. and any missorted parcels go to the supervisor not to me. the other carriers understand and do not get mad at me for making this point. the only letters and packages i do accept from a carrier is the customer on my route who has 2 houses on 2 differwent routes, they actually live on my route so that carrier gives me all their stuff from the other house, customers are happy i do that, just doesnt happen on HIS day off as his sub doesnt do it.

Chwpakabra -- "after this i was told i had a pdi upcoming because i didnt use my blinker or flashers in a culdsac,"

-- Certainly never a dull moment for you at the post office!

-- Was the non-blinker / flasher use observered during an official Observation of Driving Practices or a "target of opportunity"?

-- In either case, resquest union rep be present.

-- Did you get a PS Form 4584 with the "offense(s)" marked?

-- The use of flashers is, at the least problematic as in some states, it is illegal to have the flashers on while vehicle is moving. Our VMF personnel say only use the flashers when stop along a road way.

-- Flashers also block the directional turn signal. Page 10 of the Grumman LLV manual: Hazard Light Switch -- operate switch to make ALL turn signals and side marker lights flash.

-- Never can tell what is on manglement's mind. One of our carriers got dinged for not using the directional signal in a left-hand turn only lane.

As an RCA, I have seen this happen often in the office. Biggest problem right now, clerks not knowing the office schemes. Missorts to the various routes has become unbearable! Didn't have to go through parcels at last mail count, but have to now. New RCAs don't know what to do with the packages that aren't on their routes, so they usually walk them to the cases, where the carriers have already left. If parcels are found after the fact, we aren't called back to the office, an available CCA, Supervisor or clerk takes them out for delivery. My understanding, we get paid for 1 trip with little to no deviations. Also know that some Regulars and Clerks (which have attitudes or issues) will "find" mail for the route once it is up and either, put it in my case in the wrong delivery point or put it up in the sorting case after I have done the final pull. They seem to be trying to cause problems, when they don't need to.

Last edited:
we have a blue tub for missorts found in office a yellow for found on dock and a apc for returned found on street never used the apc but the yellow is my go to after being told to check them on the dock make a show of looking for extra work and log it 2 min looking for parcels all onloading time on the scanner

Back