• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Amazon gone?

I was literally about to become a regular when we had our special count in September. I am not exaggerating by saying that Amazon literally left one week before the count. The auxiliary route lost an hour, and the two routes that were going to give up some big chunks ended up barely hanging on to them.
Now with the new count coming up in February, the other routes that didn't get the special count will probably be taking some chunks of the auxiliary. I assume it will at least lose 30 minutes, because there's one route in particular that now should probably be evaluated at around 7.5 - 8 hours. Don't really know what's going to happen.
I was not exactly happy about it, but somehow managed to take a stoic approach with this one. It's not in my control, so I am not going to be upset about something I can't do anything about.
Besides that, I have only been at the station after 5 maybe 3 times since September. 4 is pretty much the latest I have stayed 99% of the time. XMas will still be fun, but nothing like last year. We were there til after 9pm many days last year. I think 6pm will be the time during the peak, and probably a couple of days past 7. Amazon seriously rocked our faces off. It sucked, but if it didn't suck, I wouldn't have gotten hired at the beginning of last year. When I started, I immediately became the senior RCA. If things were as smooth sailing then as they are now, they probably wouldn't have ever needed to hire anyone.
I can see what a roller coaster ride you have been on but at least you are on the cuspid.....and you have a reasonable approach at the long haul.... you will be fine with this mentality....good luck..

1stSgt, absolutely. You'll take a pay cut and have to find boxes to eventually make up for some of it, but it's priceless. It's all as advertised and more...prolong your career, your health, your attitude,...your sanity. It's like swimming in the Fountain of Youth after lifting weights,a pardon from the Governor, a cure for a disease. Leave you buzzing for months...parcel withdrawl...totally surreal.

Last edited:
1stSgt, absolutely. You'll take a pay cut and have to find boxes to eventually make up for some it, but it's priceless. It's all as advertised and more...prolong your career, your health, your attitude,...your sanity. It's like swimming in the Fountain of Youth after lifting weights,
a pardon from the Governor, a cure for a disease. Leave you buzzing for months...parcel withdrawl...totally surreal.
So Wilco, it seems your experience has been unlike others have commented….they said that even though they LOST AZN, if AZN had a hitch in their system USPS was their go to guys...…….therefore still Azn showed up heavy, light based on their own needs? This is not happening in your PO?

Cliff Clavin et al -- "I want a quantity review, but I am told they won't do it this time of the year. "

-- Kindly ask for a reference.

-- From the July 2014 edition of the national magazine Question Box section: DPS Letter Formal Review Process.

- Q -- It there a limit to the number of formal review requests I can submit or a time in which I cannot submit a formal review request?

- A -- You may submit a request for a formal review ANYTIME you feel your overall DPS percentage has fallen below the level that was established during the last mail count. Remember, however, that eash mail count establishes a new "base" percentage. So the filing of a review immediately preceding or during a mail count has limited value.

Now with the new count coming up in February, the other routes that didn't get the special count will probably be taking some chunks of the auxiliary. I assume it will at least lose 30 minutes, because there's one route in particular that now should probably be evaluated at around 7.5 - 8 hours. Don't really know what's going to happen.

What new count in February? There’s none that is set in the Contract nor MOU’d.

I was literally about to become a regular when we had our special count in September. I am not exaggerating by saying that Amazon literally left one week before the count. The auxiliary route lost an hour, and the two routes that were going to give up some big chunks ended up barely hanging on to them.
I was not exactly happy about it, but somehow managed to take a stoic approach with this one. It's not in my control, so I am not going to be upset about something I can't do anything about.
Besides that, I have only been at the station after 5 maybe 3 times since September. 4 is pretty much the latest I have stayed 99% of the time. XMas will still be fun, but nothing like last year. We were there til after 9pm many days last year. I think 6pm will be the time during the peak, and probably a couple of days past 7. Amazon seriously rocked our faces off. It sucked, but if it didn't suck, I wouldn't have gotten hired at the beginning of last year. When I started, I immediately became the senior RCA. If things were as smooth sailing then as they are now, they probably wouldn't have ever needed to hire anyone.
MLB
Unless you know something we don't, I'm pretty sure there will be no count in February. I also don't think there will be one in September either. This coming year is the 4 year election cycle and there is heavy political mail in Sept. Can't see the po counting with all the political mail. Impossible to hide it, as it is treated as first class

So Wilco, it seems your experience has been unlike others have commented….they said that even though they LOST AZN, if AZN had a hitch in their system USPS was their go to guys...…….therefore still Azn showed up heavy, light based on their own needs? This is not happening in your PO?
We were getting Amazon during my first holiday in 2010. The total frenzy started in 2013 and my area was an early adopter in the rush and steamed along gaining more momentum in 2015 as one of the first Sunday delivery metros after Amazon's pilot program. By then, we were basically delivering Amazon, with mail as an afterthought. The clearing of scans was all about Amazon and accountables.

The last 3 national counts for sure, maybe another prior, we got hammered, no bleed off to other carriers. With growth and Amazon, 20 new routes in 4 years...more Table 2 regs than Table 1.

It's early in the Holidays, but don't expect much more from Amazon than the 2 1/2 pallets of oversized we've been getting since Feb. Whatever they're doing right, they can keep it up.

We were getting Amazon during my first holiday in 2010. The total frenzy started in 2013 and my area was an early adopter in the rush and steamed along gaining more momentum in 2015 as one of the first Sunday delivery metros after Amazon's pilot program. By then, we were basically delivering Amazon, with mail as an afterthought. The clearing of scans was all about Amazon and accountables.

The last 3 national counts for sure, maybe another prior, we got hammered, no bleed off to other carriers. With growth and Amazon, 20 new routes in 4 years...more Table 2 regs than Table 1.

It's early in the Holidays, but don't expect much more from Amazon than the 2 1/2 pallets of oversized we've been getting since Feb. Whatever they're doing right, they can keep it up.
Thank you for the detail..... seems as though after listening to all...…….we should hope to loose Amazon soon as well....20 new routes in 4 years, incredible..

Thank you for the detail..... seems as though after listening to all...…….we should hope to loose Amazon soon as well....20 new routes in 4 years, incredible..
And now it's a load of apartments to add to new homes as well. New boxes coupled wiith the inflated volume factors means routes will continue to be built until it comes to a screeching halt with gnashing of teeth when all are eventually counted. It's undertime city in my office, no wonder we have no RCA issues. I'm just waiting for evaluation "in lieu of national count" to rear its head.

What count in February? This contract has no formally scheduled counts other than the special September count which you had.

Is it fair to say our Amazon isnt going anywhere? There isn't an Amazon center within 4 hours of here. 3.5 with summer freeway driving. There really ienr a major city within a couple that I could see building one either.

Here is why some areas have amazon still and others dont.

Amazon is rolling out one day delivery slowly across the nation. This means its not compatible with the post office. When your office stops receiving heavy amazon parcels its a result of a Flex station being installed nearby that fills your zip codes amazon delivery requirements. You will see either people in their own cars or grey vans in your area running amazon stuff from now on.

Most offices will continue to get some small amounts of amazon parcels. These are items from from out of state warehouses and are not part of the one day time window. Typically they seem to be larger items such as safes or bed frames. Nevada and Kentucky warehouses seem to send out the most from out of state.

How will this impact count? Well it depends but most routes will lose 30-50 parcels a day that they were running before. Which to be honest is not that much time. I am more worried ad mail volume is going to collapse.

MLB
Unless you know something we don't, I'm pretty sure there will be no count in February. I also don't think there will be one in September either. This coming year is the 4 year election cycle and there is heavy political mail in Sept. Can't see the po counting with all the political mail. Impossible to hide it, as it is treated as first class

Yesssssss!!!! That’s awesome! Sorta.. if they don’t call for a national count that is. I had a DPS review and it failed. So I will definitely be counted in September.

We "lost" Amazon about a month ago. They still drop off pkgs, but 75% less than they used to. I had ONE today, and a TOTAL of 68 pkgs. Averaged 125-175 (200+ on Mondays) during the summer. Now I'm lucky to break 100 anymore. Merry Xmas to me!! :cool::cool: But man, I would get absolutely killed if we had to count!

We "lost" Amazon about a month ago. They still drop off pkgs, but 75% less than they used to. I had ONE today, and a TOTAL of 68 pkgs. Averaged 125-175 (200+ on Mondays) during the summer. Now I'm lucky to break 100 anymore. Merry Xmas to me!! :cool::cool: But man, I would get absolutely killed if we had to count!
you had amazon your last count? if you did not, what is down in volume that would get you "killed" in count.. i do duvers daily, don't have nor ever had amazon,, and my volumes (fall time) of flats are up 25%, packages are identical, i am up 14 houses, miles are the same, raw letters are up and dps is the same as my last mailcount, i believe i will fry with wrecks, but not another mail count

Back