• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Annual leave sell back....

DB.Cooper

Recently they announced peeps could sell back 65 days in 2021 due to the increased carryover limit.... so this was good news for those exiting in 2021....

I've read you get paid for all holidays during the sell back period, but, I've wondered if that period is also added to your service time... say, if you hit 20 years, and retire, and also sell back 55 or 65 days... does that increase your service time by 2 or 3 months??? I know the unused SL does, but not sure about AL being sold back.... anybody know???? :unsure:

I'm still not real clear on the NRLCA clarification about selling back 65 days during 2021.... from what I've read elsewhere, it seems there may be a requirement to be at 65 days max carryover at the beginning of the year.... so still not clear on this....

APWU Annual Leave Exchange for Leave Year 2021

The parties agree that APWU career employees will be allowed to sell back a maximum of
eighty (80) hours of annual leave prior to the beginning of leave year 2021 provided the
following two (2) criteria are met:

1. The employee must be at the maximum leave carryover ceiling at the start of the leave
year,
and

2. The employee must have used fewer than 75 sick leave hours (excluding emergency
sick leave taken under the Family First Coronavirus Response Act) in leave year 2020.

Recently they announced peeps could sell back 65 days in 2021 due to the increased carryover limit.... so this was good news for those exiting in 2021....

I've read you get paid for all holidays during the sell back period, but, I've wondered if that period is also added to your service time... say, if you hit 20 years, and retire, and also sell back 55 or 65 days... does that increase your service time by 2 or 3 months??? I know the unused SL does, but not sure about AL being sold back.... anybody know???? :unsure:
Do you have a link to this?
As Rural Carriers normally may not sell their leave and other Postal Employees may, I would like that double checked to make certian that it is not just a blank statement and that we really are not included.

Clarification on MOU Increasing Leave Carry-Over for Those Planning Retirement​

The NRLCA has received clarification on the Leave Carry Over MOU allowing rural carriers to carry over 65 days into the 2021 Leave Year and how it will affect payouts of annual leave at retirement. It is very important that rural carriers understand this if they intend to retire close to the end of the year.
If the carrier retires before January 2, 2021 (the beginning of the new leave year) they will be able to cash out a maximum of 55 days of annual leave-just like always.
If the carrier retires between January 2, 2021 and December 31, 2021 and carries over up to 65 days of annual leave into the 2021 Leave Year, then they would be eligible for a cash out of up to 65 days of annual leave at retirement. Of course, this is all dependent on how many days they actually have credited as of the date of retirement.
So, in short, any rural carrier who retires before the 2021 Leave Year begins on January 2, 2021 will be limited to a cash out of 55 days of annual leave. If they work into the next leave year and take advantage of the MOU to carry over up to 65 days, then they would be eligible to cash out up to 65 days-as long as they retire before January 1, 2022.

Do you have a link to this?
As Rural Carriers normally may not sell their leave and other Postal Employees may, I would like that double checked to make certian that it is not just a blank statement and that we really are not included.
I'm referring to those being able to sell back 65 days in conjunction with retirement in 2021....

https://www.ruralmailtalk.com/threads/nrlca-–-clarification-on-mou-increasing-leave-carry-over-for-those-planning-retirement.8462/

Last edited:

Clarification on MOU Increasing Leave Carry-Over for Those Planning Retirement​

The NRLCA has received clarification on the Leave Carry Over MOU allowing rural carriers to carry over 65 days into the 2021 Leave Year and how it will affect payouts of annual leave at retirement. It is very important that rural carriers understand this if they intend to retire close to the end of the year.
If the carrier retires before January 2, 2021 (the beginning of the new leave year) they will be able to cash out a maximum of 55 days of annual leave-just like always.
If the carrier retires between January 2, 2021 and December 31, 2021 and carries over up to 65 days of annual leave into the 2021 Leave Year, then they would be eligible for a cash out of up to 65 days of annual leave at retirement. Of course, this is all dependent on how many days they actually have credited as of the date of retirement.
So, in short, any rural carrier who retires before the 2021 Leave Year begins on January 2, 2021 will be limited to a cash out of 55 days of annual leave. If they work into the next leave year and take advantage of the MOU to carry over up to 65 days, then they would be eligible to cash out up to 65 days-as long as they retire before January 1, 2022.
The last sentence in your post talks about the 65 days.... but, are you limited to only selling back what you carry over, or can you sell back 65, even if you carry over less than 65....

If they work into the next leave year and take advantage of the MOU to carry over up to 65 days, then they would be eligible to cash out up to 65 days-as long as they retire before January 1, 2022.

My interpretation would be if you had 55 at the end of 2020 and you have earned 10 more in 2021 and retire after that time you can cash out at 65. With anything that has been earned over the 65 being lost unless you use it before retiring.
Would have been nice, if they had just clearly stated, we can SELL up to 65 days if retiring in 2021...

Instead, they made that jumbled up statement that almost makes it sound like how much you carry over has something to do with how much you can SELL back.... and, if you look at the APWU statement, it seems clear that it also matters what you carry over as far as what you can SELL back....

Clear as mud.... glad they put out that statement, to clarify everything.... :rolleyes:

All -- Just trying to unmuddy the waters a bit.

-- "Sell back" is not / should not be part of the rural vocabulary.

-- Unlike the APWU, there is no provision for rural carriers to "sell back" annual leave.

-- It appears the NPMHU has to update the same provision to "sell back" up to 40 hours of annual leave in each contract.

-- Also apparently the NALC does not have the provision to sell back annual leave. ( how did they miss that! )

-- When rural carriers retire ( or leave the postal service ) they are PAID a lump-sum payment by the USPS for any unused annual leave. Period.

-- For 2021, you only get paid for unused annual leave you actually have EARNED. All the annual leave for the year is front-loaded in January of each year. Carefully monitor annual leave usage so one doesn't get into a "use it or lose it" situation.

-- Same of Sick Leave as the OPM only uses "whole" months in its calculations.

-- As for being "sold down the river", well that is a different matter!

From the NRLCA "clarification" memo... we can do "...payouts of annual leave at retirement..." or we can, "....cash out of up to 65 days of annual leave at retirement..."

So, maybe it's just semantics, or maybe "sell back" really is a lot different than "cash out" or "payouts" or "PAID a lump-sum".... :unsure:

Back