• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Another one bites the dust...

I have new RCA, just 6 weeks in. She's 50 and parcel count is ave 140. 40 large to door.
I skipped the training of markers cause it doesn't work with the Amazon load.
I've redundantly explained I use a dry erase chart for large package and tray all small.
I taught her this way cause in my opinion, it's faster than markers... Figured if she got this rt proficient, she could figure out the 1a,2b,3c way pretty easily, and she'll mostly be on just this rt.
I know y'all don't want to hear this, but I will work off the clock to help streamline her process of sorting... Few tips and she had the delivery part down pat. So it's just off the clock observations and helping her see the redundant things she was doing and few suggestions for streamlining her sort part...
If you leave your RCAs alone and don't help to give them some success, expect them to quit.
Commence the off the clock, OJI bashing in 3,2,1.....

They chase us out if we come in to help.

They do give them lots of help casing,aligning parcels and bumps.

Heard an Amazon ad on the radio today. They're saying $15 to 17 something an hour with
a $500 hiring bonus. That's for warehouse work.

If you leave your RCAs alone and don't help to give them some success, expect them to quit.

I see no beef at all. This is (sadly) what it takes to get some reliable relief. Try to follow the PO plan, and you'll be working 6 days a week the rest of your career. The PO plan being the ridiculous assumption someone can pick this up in 3 days, or whatever. You can't learn to read meters in 3 days, let alone deliver mail plus Amazon.

@flash... No wording in new contract regarding a FEB count.

Perhaps they know of the 52 week digitization thing starting then? This does fall in line with this accepted offer.

Our last hire has yet to run the entire rt himself, pm thinks he doesn’t need to learn the case, has another sub case then help him on street. Never seen so many split routes as I have this past couple years..that’s one way to ensure rcas are all getting actual time? One recent hire is doing pretty well, but she’s still trying to hurry all the time. Accidents waiting to happen this holiday season...

flash -- "I have new RCA....I know y'all don't want to hear this, but I will work off the clock to help streamline her process of sorting... Few tips and she had the delivery part down pat. So it's just off the clock observations and helping her see the redundant things she was doing and few suggestions for streamlining her sort part...If you leave your RCAs alone and don't help to give them some success, expect them to quit.

-- No "working off the clock" bashing from me -- as long as it is just observations and a helpful hint here or there. If manglement doesn't mind you being in on an off day, so be it. After all, you can "observe" count in a non-duty status.

-- Apparently the failure rate of new RCA's and the now estimated $10,000 cost to get someone from the street and on to a route hasn't gotten the attention of the bean counters at USPS HQ yet. Even if manglement complains, you can always toss out that your are trying to "protect the interests of the Postal Service! " Or "What if that $10,000 was coming out of YOUR budget?"

-- The good old "three days of OJT and you are on your own" does not work any more ( or hasn't for a l-o-n-g time ).

-- Keep on keeping on!

flash -- "I have new RCA....I know y'all don't want to hear this, but I will work off the clock to help streamline her process of sorting... Few tips and she had the delivery part down pat. So it's just off the clock observations and helping her see the redundant things she was doing and few suggestions for streamlining her sort part...If you leave your RCAs alone and don't help to give them some success, expect them to quit.

-- No "working off the clock" bashing from me -- as long as it is just observations and a helpful hint here or there. If manglement doesn't mind you being in on an off day, so be it. After all, you can "observe" count in a non-duty status.

-- Apparently the failure rate of new RCA's and the now estimated $10,000 cost to get someone from the street and on to a route hasn't gotten the attention of the bean counters at USPS HQ yet. Even if manglement complains, you can always toss out that your are trying to "protect the interests of the Postal Service! " Or "What if that $10,000 was coming out of YOUR budget?"

-- The good old "three days of OJT and you are on your own" does not work any more ( or hasn't for a l-o-n-g time ).

-- Keep on keeping on!
But in reality it's still working off the clock.

The idiots will spend $30,000 hiring 3 employees yet they whine about spending $300 to train them.

When they couldn't retain CCAs what did they do? They gave them benefits like holidays, leave, and career status to some.

I have new RCA, just 6 weeks in. She's 50 and parcel count is ave 140. 40 large to door.
I skipped the training of markers cause it doesn't work with the Amazon load.
I've redundantly explained I use a dry erase chart for large package and tray all small.
I taught her this way cause in my opinion, it's faster than markers... Figured if she got this rt proficient, she could figure out the 1a,2b,3c way pretty easily, and she'll mostly be on just this rt.
I know y'all don't want to hear this, but I will work off the clock to help streamline her process of sorting... Few tips and she had the delivery part down pat. So it's just off the clock observations and helping her see the redundant things she was doing and few suggestions for streamlining her sort part...
I find it commendable that you want your RCA to succeed. I want any RCA to succeed.
After years of donating time through training for free, lower standards, answering door/phone calls/questions, pitching in on emergencies , etc..
I'm done giving my time away.
Make management do their job.
Provide more help/training if the RCA isn't succeeding. I've been paid a full DACA 5 to work a partial relief day to help a new RCA out. Perhaps if you stopped donating your time, you would too. Maybe an experienced RCA lost hours when they could've been helping this new RCA out.

after having trained many over the years, and now with new management. we recently were asked if the office had any qualified trainers. no one raised their hand. then asked if any one wanted to become a qualified trainer. no one raised their hand again, now after getting a couple of candidates through drug testing. shadow day, and the training academy, theses two were sent 50 miles away to go through training with a qualified trainer.

had one of them back to ride the route, and train on there first route on saturday. not sure what good it does to train someone on a route that they will never see again, but we'll see how it works out. so apparently, they can't force you to go through the thirty pages of garbage to initial that you've trained someone properly.

This is why the smart thing to do would be to move towards an apprenticeship system. In that way, the union pays and evaluates the new people that they train, and then the union bills the employer for training time. This would take hiring of craft out of the hands of employer, and moves the keep or reject process of new people into the hands of experienced, skilled in training peers. Also, continued eduction concept for “certification” so we all can learn about new tools and process without relying on 5 minutes a week every week to get that information.

But to get to the immediate point, for 120 letters to work in that PTFs are created to either draw in outsiders to the office or lock down commitments from in office relief that is riding the crazy train and thinking of jumping off, everyone needs to file in the office; otherwise it’s a two step shuffle as someone with a heartbeat is brought in for the one route that filed. The new person needs lots of help so the crazy train riders say f it, and jump off, leaving an even worse situation.

This got me thinking of what would actually make someone sit up and notice that the training is not being done right. Somewhere, in Washington, an executive with an MBA realizes that training costs are horrible. Yet, due to this vast network, it is all lost on the people running the offices. They don't see the money being lost.

Maybe if each POOM (or maybe PM) were given a training budget for new employees, they'd see this. Ask the union if they want in. Keep the training local/regional and give them a reason to see that the revolving door is wasting more than a/c costs. Then, possibly the wasted time in a classroom would morph into more time on the case/route and handling mail. Make managers see that finding the right person and investing time in learning is better than the constant turnover.
Pay your regular carriers time and a half when training, it works well other places.

Funny how a new RCA is suppose to gain 20 years of my experience in 3 days and be expected to do this job in a made up time evaluated system with all the nic-picking things they have to try to remember. Makes me wonder how I get this job done everyday when a PM or super would take at least as twice as long on the route as a new RCA?

All -- Regarding "flash's" working off the clock to help a new sub, Of course working off the clock has hurt the carriers at the negotiation and arbitration tables, but don't forget -- there is no extra pay for training a sub. ( just the satisfaction that comes with having a sub stay the course and become a useful member of the post office )

-- Which is worse: Training a sub for no money or working off the clock for no money?

-- And wasn't the purpose of RRECS is to get paid for everything a carrier does during the workday? ( Although it is beginning to look like that won't be the answer either )?

Back