Anyone else hearing about a new 10 day rule?

Mark Oliver

Boss says there was a teleconference last week and higher management said nobody will be worked more than 10 days in a row. Great news for AUX carriers. No more Amazon Sunday. He was off that day and wasn't on it so I'm waiting for confirmation. He did speak with another office and they said yes, it happened. I'm not getting too excited until POOM returns his email.

Dumbassclerksyndrome

I realize that everyone Is to do as directed by upper management, but per our contract there is nothing that states no individual can work X amount of days in a row. They always wanted to throw that seven day rule and it doesn’t exist. Yes I realize there are RCA’s that want to have some time off but there are RCA’s that really want to work a lot so we shall see. Either way it will be grievable

Mark Oliver

I realize that everyone Is to do as directed by upper management, but per our contract there is nothing that states no individual can work X amount of days in a row. They always wanted to throw that seven day rule and it doesn’t exist. Yes I realize there are RCA’s that want to have some time off but there are RCA’s that really want to work a lot so we shall see. Either way it will be grievable

Understandable, but I doubt most of them envision 30-35 days in a row as being cool or RCA's wouldn't be one of the hardest positions to keep fully staffed. Only the NRLCA would be dumb enough to grieve away basic working class rights, to not be abused like that, when they can't even fill all the positions.

Dumbassclerksyndrome

Really depends on offices, if it is a truly rural rte, meaning out in middle of nowhere, with no Amazon- such is the case in most of my surrounding rtes, RCAs don’t mind working a lot because most finish daily by 2/3. No Amazon Sunday, so I suppose there is that day off. I agree these huge offices with 30 plus rtes and shortage of RCAS it is quite a different story. My point, a blanket statement doesn’t fit all

Worve

Really want two, but I get my one day a week off at minimum. Already told boss if he schedules me 7 I'll just pick a day to call out, so better to take the most convenient one for you.
Never said I would call out but I have been putting in slips a month out every week for 1 day off a week Every week for a few months now. Let’s me actually plan oil changes taking car into shop and life in general. So far no issues and keeps me happy.

I always check with primary before hand just in case they have something planned that week. if they do or are taking a vacation I skip that week. Checks aren’t as nice but happy wife happy life for this guy.

Mark Oliver

Really depends on offices, if it is a truly rural rte, meaning out in middle of nowhere, with no Amazon- such is the case in most of my surrounding rtes, RCAs don’t mind working a lot because most finish daily by 2/3. No Amazon Sunday, so I suppose there is that day off. I agree these huge offices with 30 plus rtes and shortage of RCAS it is quite a different story. My point, a blanket statement doesn’t fit all

Exactly. Doing 90 miles and 2 LLV loads of Amazon on Sunday gets real old if you already worked 6 days. Back on Monday to get pounded and start the whole process over again.

Hopefully this 10 day is true. I think it will keep some RCA's, on the fence of quitting, to stay. Should help with hiring too. We are still talking about a hypothetical since I don't have hard confirmation yet.

Mark Oliver

Really want two, but I get my one day a week off at minimum. Already told boss if he schedules me 7 I'll just pick a day to call out, so better to take the most convenient one for you.
That is how I feel. Just give me one day a week. No RCA is told during the hiring process that they are marrying the USPS. It is why so many quit when they figure it out. I've never worked for anybody that lies as much as the USPS does.

drakeME

That is how I feel. Just give me one day a week. No RCA is told during the hiring process that they are marrying the USPS. It is why so many quit when they figure it out. I've never worked for anybody that lies as much as the USPS does.
Demand it. Again, what's the worst that can happen?

gotstamps

Boss says there was a teleconference last week and higher management said nobody will be worked more than 10 days in a row. Great news for AUX carriers. No more Amazon Sunday. He was off that day and wasn't on it so I'm waiting for confirmation. He did speak with another office and they said yes, it happened. I'm not getting too excited until POOM returns his email.
Every district has their “magic #“ of days-in-a-row that carriers can’t work. It is not contractual & the Union does NOT back it up.
The Union is NOT going to put a limit on how many hours/days you can work.
I. E... What if Day 10 just happens to fall on a Wednesday that your Regular needs off? By contract, that work belongs to the Primary sub. Mgmt cannot bypass the Primary unless that sub has worked the full evaluation of the route ON THAT ROUTE. Other route work does not get applied to those hours. To place a “10-day rule” violates the rights of that sub.

Mark Oliver

Every district has their “magic #“ of days-in-a-row that carriers can’t work. It is not contractual & the Union does NOT back it up.
The Union is NOT going to put a limit on how many hours/days you can work.
I. E... What if Day 10 just happens to fall on a Wednesday that your Regular needs off? By contract, that work belongs to the Primary sub. Mgmt cannot bypass the Primary unless that sub has worked the full evaluation of the route ON THAT ROUTE. Other route work does not get applied to those hours. To place a “10-day rule” violates the rights of that sub.
They can find someone else to fulfill their needs. I've always known that it was Regulars fighting against RCA's being treated fairly.

Every time the work days in a row for RCA's comes up, we get the same BS responses. Let me explain something to Regulars. No RCA sees you as some kind of USPS god whose feet we need to wash.

Give me a break. Most of you are slower and bigger f up's than a lot of RCA's. Erase this Postal culture from your mind. RCA's are not begging you or the USPS for some right of passage. We don't care about your needs. In the real world, even in government, vacation days are denied all the time, based on coverage availability.

Old Fart

Every District has magic numbers that are geared toward ONE goal -- reduce overtime by RCA's. That's all they care about, their OT budgets.

Our brain surgeons just reduced RCA consecutive or weekly days to FIVE, with a goal of no more than 34 hours per RCA (they think if they're scheduled for a day's work when they're at 34 hrs they will go into OT, so it's a no-no now)

In our offices, it's never the luxury of whether an RCA "wants" to work or not. We are so thin staffed that every RCA typically works 7-10 in a row by necessity. I do wonder how the District is going to get the mail delivered without the RCA hours? Regulars are prohibited from working non scheduled days, even if they're on the RDWL in RMSS.

Rural Runner

It will only be enforced if your management enforces it. District will send out a list of carriers who have worked 10 days in a row. They will tell management that so and so needs a day off immediately. Management can oblige, or come up with an excuse and continue to schedule you.

I have won multiple grievances on this issue since our 7 day rule was put into effect, and been paid every time. They can only enforce it if your SDO does not interfere with 30.2.D. And yes, that means aux carriers will most likely get sundays off.

Mark Oliver

It will only be enforced if your management enforces it. District will send out a list of carriers who have worked 10 days in a row. They will tell management that so and so needs a day off immediately. Management can oblige, or come up with an excuse and continue to schedule you.

I have won multiple grievances on this issue since our 7 day rule was put into effect, and been paid every time. They can only enforce it if your SDO does not interfere with 30.2.D. And yes, that means aux carriers will most likely get sundays off.

Trust me, I will be enforcing it myself.

Mark Oliver

Every District has magic numbers that are geared toward ONE goal -- reduce overtime by RCA's. That's all they care about, their OT budgets.

Our brain surgeons just reduced RCA consecutive or weekly days to FIVE, with a goal of no more than 34 hours per RCA (they think if they're scheduled for a day's work when they're at 34 hrs they will go into OT, so it's a no-no now)

In our offices, it's never the luxury of whether an RCA "wants" to work or not. We are so thin staffed that every RCA typically works 7-10 in a row by necessity. I do wonder how the District is going to get the mail delivered without the RCA hours? Regulars are prohibited from working non scheduled days, even if they're on the RDWL in RMSS.

Did your offices show up and throw them in a van to force them to work? You make me laugh.

Old Fart

Management will follow whatever District says because they don't want to be hammered on the telecon. So they're enforcing the 5 day rule. We don't have anyone who "isn't working" as all RCA's in our offices are scheduled to the max, no ARC's. Just emailed union DR for position.

No Aux carriers or routes, no ARC's. All RCA.

Last edited:

Mark Oliver

Management will follow whatever District says because they don't want to be hammered on the telecon. So they're enforcing the 5 day rule. We don't have anyone who "isn't working" as all RCA's in our offices are scheduled to the max, no ARC's. Just emailed union DR for position.
I'll repeat. For us it is a 10 day rule. Waiting for confirmation. So my question is, why aren't your RCA's being told they can't be scheduled to the max? I hope they are reading this.

Old Fart

Did your offices show up and throw them in a van to force them to work? You make me laugh.
Who? The RCA's? They don't resist working extended weeks periodically. They know we are trying to hire.

The issue is with management limiting their work to 5 days per week. The RCA's are willing to work more. The limiting factor is the new management rule.

Last edited: