• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Anyone else office getting told they are getting flagged too many times (excessive back up acceleration or braking)

Thanks, beer just got spit on the iPad.....

All I can say is “you can’t fix stoopid”

Wait a minute, hold on a second...... wtf.....
There wasn’t a bear crossing sign where I saw momma and her 3 cubs....
Why the hejj was she crossing them over that road when there was no “bear crossing signs posted”???

Or, even the deer I see crossing my roads, in the middle of bfny that didn’t have “deer crossing” signs....
Ok, I give up.....
You can’t fix stupid....

Last edited:
Are you scanning flats (first), as requested by the SPM squawk??? I've never seen a flat shown in my Informed Delivery email.... if it's all about Informed Delivery, why are we even scanning flats???? :unsure:
We don't scan flats, they don't show on Informed Delivery, you're correct. We don't want to do work we don't need to do, these SPM scans are a pain in the butt to start with!

Hhhhhaaaaaaaa, this is the first I’ve heard this one, clerks marking through hot cased mail..... even IF I’d heard this before now, I’d still scan each and every thing the box is getting. Do we really have time at the box to pick and choose what is dps or raw? I don’t think so. If I get an spm, I’m scanning everything, wether it’s today’s, yesterday’s, last weeks, it’s getting scannned. Unless, of course, “already passsed” which is what I click most often. I’m sorrry, if mail is in the box already (which is most often when I get hit with spm), then so sowwery, I’m already passed.."......
Go right ahead! I scan all letters UNLESS they have a yellow slash, which isn't very often, because those are ONLY the previous day's misthrows that were brought back in the city carrier's mail. The Informed Delivery doesn't do flats, or parcels, so I don't do those either. DPS only, it's less scans, much faster, less hassle. Easier.

To @Old Fart 's point tho.... my old PM told me they get some sort of report that shows how many scans were expected, and how many were actually made... they said it almost never matched.... but, what the hey. .. not our problem to fix.... go figure, a USPS system with some glitches in it.... can anyone say lookahead.. . :rolleyes:
exactly! what we do results in matches for the scans vs expectations. The PO is all about reports and any deviation brings a hassle. So we figured out a way to make them match most of the time, so we're off the list and one less thing for the PM to sit on a useless telecon for.

Furthermore, since we don't scan flats, parcels, or the few letters with a yellow mark, we scan fewer pieces and that means it takes us less time. A win for rural carriers.

Apparently I've ruffled a whole bunch of feathers, so I suggest you just ignore my post and do what you've been doing, it apparently works for you guys. I'll keep doing what I'm doing, because to me, it's fewer scans and less wasted time. Everybody's happy! Just as if my posts on this topic never appeared!

Have a great evening.

There is absolutely no consistency in excessive backing up. Some who don't get flagged. Some who do don't get flagged. As I've stated in other posts a number of times, the data going into the PO system for the most part is inaccurate or inconsistent, and to discipline anyone based upon it is absurd. It's not evidence. I could quote numerous examples cited on telecons, but management continues to stand firm by it's corrupt data.

Excessive acceleration is supposed to alert when the vehicle in which the scanner isl

Several of you here have voiced frustration that the PO uses scanners to discipline carriers, instead of actually doing things that would provide ease of use and information for carriers and better customer service..
ive gotten 2 pdi's for backing already and just now received a letter of warning. of course i filed a grievance we shall see how this plays out

She sounds like all three brilliant drivers that rear ended me.
"I saw your flashy lights, but then I just hit you!"

She's hit deer THREE times, and yet still hasn't figured it out.
Apparently, you can't explain it to her, either.
Scary.
Scary to realize who's driving some of these other vehicles.

Apparently I've ruffled a whole bunch of feathers, so I suggest you just ignore my post and do what you've been doing, it apparently works for you guys. I'll keep doing what I'm doing, because to me, it's fewer scans and less wasted time. Everybody's happy! Just as if my posts on this topic never appeared!

Have a great evening.
I really want to do it your way.
I'd love to skip the flats entirely.:sneaky:

Have a great evening.
Your posts are interesting, though.
We all know offices do things differently and I think we can all learn and morf our ways into something better...
I wonder if you find paperwork on the SPMs if you find anything on “zero bundle” ???
It’s something to do with how these sampling’s actually get scanned from the start by mail in collection boxes.
I know it freaks out Dist when they get one and it MUST be cleared up with documentation ... just wondering

Also, just because someone arguing w a post doesn’t mean there aren’t a lot of us reading and getting good info from it,,, just not posting on it. J/S

Have a great evening.
Most people just skip them, or do an already passed.... I appreciate your posts, as for me, it helps confirm that we can do them however, so apparently they really don't matter anyways.. . Which is what I suspected all along.... (y)

Are you scanning flats (first), as requested by the SPM squawk??? I've never seen a flat shown in my Informed Delivery email.... if it's all about Informed Delivery, why are we even scanning flats???? :unsure:

Excellent point, flats are not in DPS so why according to "Olde Farts" direction from above does it tell us to scan them first? Another thing its been proven in my office that letters that are in Informed Delivery will show up a day or two later in the raw mail be cause it was sent to the wrong office in their DPS! I personally think that is the reason we do SPM's, to check the accuracy of the sorting machines.

I really want to do it your way.
I'd love to skip the flats entirely.:sneaky:

But it specifically says to do them first, I don't get it?

In any event this topic has been enjoyable, all that is asked of each of us is to follow our managements misdirection's, most don't even attempt to complete SPM's they just key already past box.

Last edited:
Official USPS Policy: Nothing can be done the same way twice, nor the same at different location.... total non-conformity and no standardization allowed, at all.... :oops: :rolleyes::unsure:

To avoid "oversampling" -- which means we scan more mail than the customer gets pictures of -- and therefore we fail the test -- we ONLY sample DPS from that CURRENT day, NOT anything from hot case, misthrows, leftovers etc. Again, that day's DPS ONLY is what we scan. Clerks mark up hot case mail with a yellow slash so we can identify it when out in the field. We created this process because we kept getting errors from district that we were scanning more than Informed Delivery showed.

Sorry, but not quite. “Oversampling” would be scanning the stuff already delivered the day before.
The scanner is quite clear on how to handle scanning for an SPM. You scan flats first, then LETTERS. Nothing is said about “DPS Only”. Flats First, then Letters that are received & delivered to that address.

Sorry, but not quite. “Oversampling” would be scanning the stuff already delivered the day before.
The scanner is quite clear on how to handle scanning for an SPM. You scan flats first, then LETTERS. Nothing is said about “DPS Only”. Flats First, then Letters that are received & delivered to that address.
Apparently the root of this is some over-ambitious mngt geek trying to get some extra brownie points for matching expected scans to actual scans.... sorta defeats the purpose of honest sampling, don't ya think.... tell them what they want to hear, rather than what is reality.... what could go wrong there??? :unsure: ??

Back