Are our 1/2 ton LLV's large enough to do the job?

Old Fart

So now I'm curious as to just how much an average load weighs. All LLV office. I'm going to waste some time and take a survey and see what uneducated guesses we come up with. Will also ask our parcel delivery 18 wheeler if they weigh at any time to get an average, and ask Amazon if they have weight on their loads. I've read all your posts, and I can't come up with something I feel is accurate (and I'm a numbers guy too). Will let y'all know!

csparks

As to are they big enough:

According to Wiki, LLVs were built from 1987 to 1994.

In 1989, 15% of US households owned a computer. By 1994, it was about 24%.
Amazon was founded in 1994. Ebay, 1995.

So, the last LLVs were rolling out before any of us had even heard of Amazon, or considered buying something via the internet. The idea of a package coming via a USPS vehicle was completely foreign, unless Grandma sent you cookies. Mail order merchandise was the last thing on anyone's radar.

Still, USPS thinks those vehicles, or a POV are the best way to deliver the ecommerce model of 2020. Oh, and the routes are still the same size, too.

psd181

As to are they big enough:

According to Wiki, LLVs were built from 1987 to 1994.

In 1989, 15% of US households owned a computer. By 1994, it was about 24%.
Amazon was founded in 1994. Ebay, 1995.

So, the last LLVs were rolling out before any of us had even heard of Amazon, or considered buying something via the internet. The idea of a package coming via a USPS vehicle was completely foreign, unless Grandma sent you cookies. Mail order merchandise was the last thing on anyone's radar.

Still, USPS thinks those vehicles, or a POV are the best way to deliver the ecommerce model of 2020. Oh, and the routes are still the same size, too.

Did y'all not get Fingerhut packages starting around 1991? People would get comforters and gun racks for their 3 wheelers through Fingerhut and pay $5 a month for 2 years through FH's financing. Never had to use the car trunk until FH started. I had one gun rack I put trunk and carried around for over a month until I had to get air tank out to air up a tire........ "What the hell is this box in my trunk?" Oh hell it's that package the customer called about 3 weeks ago LOL

DB.Cooper

Did y'all not get Fingerhut packages starting around 1991? People would get comforters and gun racks for their 3 wheelers through Fingerhut and pay $5 a month for 2 years through FH's financing. Never had to use the car trunk until FH started. I had one gun rack I put trunk and carried around for over a month until I had to get air tank out to air up a tire........ "What the hell is this box in my trunk?" Oh hell it's that package the customer called about 3 weeks ago LOL
I did that once.... left a big parcel back there for a while.... oooppps.... can't do it anymore because we're cramming the trunk full everyday now... :whistle: