Are SPMS Unpaid Mapping?

Deer smearer

Seems like a lot more SPM scanning in the last month.

Not only more, but in interesting locations. They are at the last house on a street where you turn around. Or next to a crossroad where you turn. Or the end of a dirt road. Or at banks of many boxes.

All these locations seem like GPS mapping locations to me.

Are these increased SPM scans being used as an unpaid way to get the mapping data disguised as SPM scans?

Interesting locations, or is it just me?

DB.Cooper

Mine have been that way for quite a while.... last boxes before interesctions and so forth... I figure it has to do with mapping.... :unsure:

Last edited:

Deer smearer

From my experience delivering out in the country, its rare the SPM scanning locations are accurate. If its for mapping purposes the gps is very poor.
I don't think the gps itself is that inaccurate. I think where they say the address is now is the problem.

So instead of sitting down at a computer and mapping the locations they are just using BS scan prompts to get the info without compensation.

The_Postal_Void

I don't think the gps itself is that inaccurate. I think where they say the address is now is the problem.

So instead of sitting down at a computer and mapping the locations they are just using BS scan prompts to get the info without compensation.
Whoah there. With the current iteration, I can absolutely confirm it is very inaccurate.

Every day I have a dog warning alert about a quarter-mile away from a certain address. Then I get an SPM two houses away from that address. Why don't these two events happen at the same time if it's for the same address? Not only that, but when we were all gettings those (now disabled) alerts where it'd ask us if we were sure we wanted to deliver to an address even though we were XXX feet away. I saw the counter for that distance increase while stationary. For minutes.

This device, the technology and it's accuracy can not be trusted to determine our paychecks.

We all need to be diligent and help each other in the future to make us aware of where there are faults. It's going to be a long road going forward.

Deer smearer

Whoah there. With the current iteration, I can absolutely confirm it is very inaccurate.

Every day I have a dog warning alert about a quarter-mile away from a certain address. Then I get an SPM two houses away from that address. Why don't these two events happen at the same time if it's for the same address? Not only that, but when we were all gettings those (now disabled) alerts where it'd ask us if we were sure we wanted to deliver to an address even though we were XXX feet away. I saw the counter for that distance increase while stationary. For minutes.

This device, the technology and it's accuracy can not be trusted to determine our paychecks.

We all need to be diligent and help each other in the future to make us aware of where there are faults. It's going to be a long road going forward.
Again, the gps accuracy isn't necessarily the culprit.

Dog alert warnings are entered in RMMS. That location is entered seperate then where the assumed delivery location is, therefore often different. Package location alerts are also based on perceived delivery locations.

The points of the thread are those exact scenerios. SPMS is supposed to be tracking mail piece performance like ODIS.

Now, to me, it seems like the locations of the SPMS are efforts to plot the actual locations, NOT the travel of the mail.

In my opinion, now they are having us map these locations as an uncompensated job function.

Next we will have SPM for every box on the route. Is that SPMS, or uncompensated extra work? Simplified mapping my ass.

The_Postal_Void

So we agree the scanners are not accurately performing certain functions they were set out to. These are examples we can witness which leads to believe there are occurrences we can not witness. I don't trust it's accuracy for my pay at this point.

I haven't noticed an increase in SPMS. I very rarely have them trigger in time anyway. Almost always I'm already passed the box when I'm prompted. So I just continue to deliver and address the prompt next time I'm touching the scanner.

I wouldn't doubt they would try to get free work out of the rural craft. They have a long record of doing just that. Simplified mapping was supposed to begin in August. Instead, nothing happened and it's November without any sort of update.

Rt2mailman

Is the scanner being used as much as possible for mapping? Yes, but as we all know it's not very accurate, so they are not getting great value out of it.
Are we getting paid for the spm's? You should have had each Spm tallied and paid for at your last count, if you didn't count (unless you just lost Amazon, why any one wouldn't count is beyond me) those tallied spm's should have been added into your base pay. This should have happened in April 2018.

Windindaface

I have kept track of these pings before and still do. My ping tally average for the week has not increased. Hand out window I am past box.

If they increase with the new scanner deployment release I plan to file because I was not counted for these extras unless they will pay for them with my annotations with the new scanner deployment.

Upon recollection... Did they not try this a few years ago with a program called GEO Plotting? It was a brief period of 2-3 weeks when we were bombarded with 10+ prompts daily and the Association quashed it.

My latest spm prompts have been in areas where I retreat down a road or a cul de sac. They seem to be trying to figure out what side of the road is an even or odd number.

PastOThirty

I don’t think so. The breadcrumb tracking is giving them that information if they are using it.

Not last winter, but the winter before, I believe they were really hammering the scanner tracking, pushing the frequency of “pings” way too high, and that is why we had such terrible battery issues. Last winter, they didn’t hit it that hard, and batteries lasted better, even though it was often colder, a prime target of blame for the past poor performance.

Breadcrumbs from carrying the scanner, like a run tracker is how they are finding locations. And statistics/repetition. At most, SPM is to test their statistical model.

DB.Cooper

I was under the impression that the breadcrumb accuracy wasn't that great, but when you scan something (like a parcel or spm, or whatever) then the geolocation accuracy is much greater.... :unsure:

Sandygirl

Dog alert warnings are entered in RMMS. That location is entered seperate then where the assumed delivery location is, therefore often different. Package location alerts are also based on perceived delivery locations.

The points of the thread are those exact scenerios. SPMS is supposed to be tracking mail piece performance like ODIS.

Now, to me, it seems like the locations of the SPMS are efforts to plot the actual locations, NOT the travel of the mail.

In my opinion, now they are having us map these locations as an uncompensated job function.

Next we will have SPM for every box on the route. Is that SPMS, or uncompensated extra work? Simplified mapping my ass.
At end of day you can hit ESC D and see how many SCANS you have had, on that list what does GPS indicate?

Sandygirl

What I believe we all CAN agree on is that they are keeping us in the dark while using us to clear their fog...…. here we are trying to figure out by comparing notes with each other across our vast country what the HAIL they are doing ? Daddy said, Dogs chase their tails but rarely catch them.....

PastOThirty

I was under the impression that the breadcrumb accuracy wasn't that great, but when you scan something (like a parcel or spm, or whatever) then the geolocation accuracy is much greater.... :unsure:
It’s not great. At any given moment it can be very wrong. By design. However, after you go to the same spot 250 times a year, the clear errors are clear, and the close errors they can average against each other to get a somewhat safe correct even if very mildly inaccurate answer to the question of location.

So, at any given time, don’t trust the answer, but trust the trend to tell the story.

Can it predict and give a window of expectation? To a limited extent, yes. But daily circumstances dictate more than past averages. It takes what it takes.