Article 30 grievance

gotstamps

Best answers
Virus restrictions on sharing the same airspace have made trainings, and shadow days, ridiculously unproductive. Those RCA's who have come in under this mess and actually stay and try to carry a part of the route should be commended, encouraged, helped in any way possible, and given plenty of atta-boys by the regs who want a relief person to lean on. Yes, it's irritating when "I never got babied like this!" and "in my day, it was sink or swim, sweetheart, so suck it up!" is in the reg's bitter thoughts, but we don't have to EXPRESS those thoughts...c'mon, have a heart, help the little fledglings. NO disrespect intended to newbies or old, disgruntled regs!!!!
My new sub is smart as a whip! He came in under these COVID conditions & still gets it. Trained together (separate vehicles) for the maximum 5 days & ran it on his own 3 days later... no help at all & very few mistakes. Thrown on a different route Saturday due to my working RDWL & got a little bit of help but likely would have been back by 5 without it. Today, 2nd time on my route (Staycationing) & he was back at 3... on a Monday!
Just depends on the person as to whether they make it in these times or not.

HardearnedTan

Staff member
Best answers
My new sub is smart as a whip! He came in under these COVID conditions & still gets it. Trained together (separate vehicles) for the maximum 5 days & ran it on his own 3 days later... no help at all & very few mistakes. Thrown on a different route Saturday due to my working RDWL & got a little bit of help but likely would have been back by 5 without it. Today, 2nd time on my route (Staycationing) & he was back at 3... on a Monday!
Just depends on the person as to whether they make it in these times or not.
How fortunate for you to have found such a go-getter. Or unicorn. Others, not having that same good fortune experience, and having to coax the best out of more "average" candidates. Passing the screenings is more than half the battle for some--so when they walk through the door, all acceptable and stuff, we need to do as much as we can to keep the USPS from flushing that investment down the toilet in a week or two...js.

Skierstmoritz

Best answers
We wish they would walk thru the door! Been three years since our last one came, and that was a transfer! Been 5 years since we have been able to have someone to train. Last newbie, just before Amazon hit us hard! 2015...... Our office is on the verge of imploding. Clerks, carriers and pm.....overworked and no break! Can't even take vacation. Pm is running a route a week and pkgs most other days......no solution that we can see.

Twingrlie

Best answers
I don’t understand what the problem is with hiring people! I wish I had the job of doing the hiring! I think someone should be just steady sending people into offices not waiting on a postmaster to do it! R they just lazy? What’s the problem??
It’s no longer HR that hires people. Basically District sends a list of employees that HR needs to send a hired email to and the applicant has like five days to respond to the email. If they don’t respond, it’s essentially a denial.

Twingrlie

Best answers
Why would they need to post 17 PTFs? You would have to have a minimum of 34 K-routes without Primary RCAs to cover that many PTF positions.
To cover that many 120-Day letters, there could be as little as 4 PTFs to be Compliant & each would have 4 or 5 routes on each String. Much easier & better to get less PTFs with more routes than More PTFs with less routes.
We have 40K routes with no subs. No J or H routes in the office. We had 17 letters expire. I’m sure they won’t post that many PTF positions, but I basically just want all the RCAs we have right now to go career so my PM knows she can’t mess with me.

realroutecarrier

Best answers
As a local steward I filed an Class Action Art 30 grievance. I can’t remember if I settled it in the Step 1 discussion or it carried to the Step 1 meeting.

But through discussion with my postmaster we came to a settlement management wasn’t making the proper effort to hire. We worked out solutions of management doing a better effort to hire. At that moment in time I believe we had 5 subs. 2 5 & 1 aux carriers 3 RCAs available to cover the other 8 k routes in a 10 k route office.

The steps you want to make sure your office is doing are laid out in the requirements of hiring before an office can go formula.

Because of that settlement three months later when upper management said we were going formula we had a better negotiating platform in which to discuss because management had already admitted in writing they weren’t being efficient.

If your office has poor hiring record or you’re not able to keep subs an Art 30 grievance is worth your time. If mandated to go formula it can be helpful in the defense against formula.
We r on the formal and still can’t get a day off! I’m so exhausted I can hardly live! Why can’t we just hire some help?

Skierstmoritz

Best answers
When the usps/nrlca cut rca pay by $5/hr in 2012, the job became untenable. Add Amazon, evaluated time, covid Xmas and a pov? Forget it. I was hired as an rca in 2011 @ $19.64/hr. A starting rca today, 10 years later, still doesn't make that! Hence, no help. Btw, we have 1 sub for 6 k routes plus Amazon Sundays. You are not alone!

ATCBigE

Best answers
When the usps/nrlca cut rca pay by $5/hr in 2012, the job became untenable. Add Amazon, evaluated time, covid Xmas and a pov? Forget it. I was hired as an rca in 2011 @ $19.64/hr. A starting rca today, 10 years later, still doesn't make that! Hence, no help. Btw, we have 1 sub for 6 k routes plus Amazon Sundays. You are not alone!
Such a similar position. We have 6 routes. 4K 1J & Aux (No Amazon Sunday though) and I am the only sub as of now. They just file the paperwork to start this.

Problem like you said is #1 pay is low. Unless people are like me with a 2nd job (athletic trainer hence the user name( they will struggle especially house doesn't give them any hours.

Surprise!

Best answers
Thanks to our great negotiating efforts the Postal Service has again wiggled out of the agreement they have made with us.

They only have to hire a new sub every 120 days or 3 a year max for a route. They offer pay below the going rate in many areas. They may abuse the sub to their hearts content. If the sub walks because of this that is our problem.

These are difficulties of being in the freindly to management union. As we don't expect management to take advantage and they do again and again we have to deal with our issues the long hard way from scratch each and every time.

w2e2w2e

Best answers
It is hard as a Sub in a busy office. You can potentially work 7 days a week for months on end. None of the old timers had to deal with that.
Also starting out they are walking Into a cesp storm...the parcels are all big and endless. Again old times worked up to this level, lots of people at my office still remember triple the mail volume and it being all raw.
And to be required to use your POV, if they woulda said that st thr office I was first hired at. I may not have hired on.
Lastly is management, they do nothing to help new employees, I remember just 5 years ago my crappy ones walking around offering casing and loading tips...not now..maybe because of their extra reports?.. either way former clerks managing rural carriers really doesn't work well at my office

Voglio-il mio

Best answers
It is hard as a Sub in a busy office. You can potentially work 7 days a week for months on end. None of the old timers had to deal with that.
Also starting out they are walking Into a cesp storm...the parcels are all big and endless. Again old times worked up to this level, lots of people at my office still remember triple the mail volume and it being all raw.
And to be required to use your POV, if they woulda said that st thr office I was first hired at. I may not have hired on.
Lastly is management, they do nothing to help new employees, I remember just 5 years ago my crappy ones walking around offering casing and loading tips...not now..maybe because of their extra reports?.. either way former clerks managing rural carriers really doesn't work well at my office
If it were like it is now I never would have stayed when I first started. This was a Part time job for me and that was all I wanted at the time, I wouldn't be able to work as much as they expect RCA's to do now!