• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

At end of rope

Tiredmailady

Hey everyone. Have a question. How do you handle a clerk that thinks they own the place? I feel harassed and bullied everyday. She was a carrier ,but guess she couldn't handle it, so she crossed over. Now, she intentionally slows the process so we can't get back at a reasonable time. She watches our every move and screams out at us if we get an extra buggy (guess she bought and paid for all the equipment), keeps postal forms in her office(3849, etc), will not let us touch the letter mail or flats before she is done working them( says she is measuring them which is a complete lie because we had a different clerk one day and she wanted to know why we weren't pulling the mail, and this clerk told us that was a lie, no measurements are being taken) . Why would anybody want to be that controlling?Just tired of all the screaming and abusive treatment. Management seems to not care. Told our union rep that if this keeps up there would be no carriers or RCAs left to carry the routes.Everyone is about over it. Any advise? Thanks!!!!!

You're entitled to all the equipment you need to complete your job. If it's not provided, file.

Additionally, if the clerk is delaying your day, let them. Record the time. You're to be paid for it. A few pay periods of that and some pencil pushing bean counter at district will discover a bug up their keister.

Tiredmailady -- -- Question #1 -- where is the PM or supervisor?

" How do you handle a clerk that thinks they own the place? I feel harassed and bullied everyday. "

-- Apparently that has led to your "handle"!

"She watches our every move and screams out at us if we get an extra buggy (guess she bought and paid for all the equipment), keeps postal forms in her office(3849, etc)

-- Dig out the PO-603 and tell the clerk: Since you are representing the USPS, please note Section 142.3 of the PO-603, which is otherwise known as the Rural Carrier Duties & Responsibilities, and it states that:

- The USPS ( apparently you ) supplies all additional necessary equipment, supplies, and forms. If you feel that an extra buggy or forms such as the 3849 are not really necessary, by all means please inform the PM. ( and if you want to toss some gas on the fire: "BTW, the PO-603 was drawn up by personnel in a much higher pay grade than you." )

"She watches our every move and screams out at us."

-- That probably qualifies as creating a hostile work environment.

-- Invite the PM to invite the clerk over to the office bulletin board to point out numerous USPS policy statements regarding:

- ZERO Tolerance - The Postal Service is committed to cultivating a positive and safe work environment that's free of THREATS, INTIMIDATION, BULLYING, and violence for ALL employees.

- Workplace Harassment - in part: The Postal Service's workplace must be one in which ALL employees are treated with DIGNITY and RESPECT by supervisors, subordinates, and COWORKERS.

- The ELM's Section 665.16 - Behavior and Personal Habits - in part: Employees are expected to maintain HARMONIOUS working relationships and not to do anything that would contribute to UNPLEASANT WORKING ENVIRONMENT. ( as a disclaimer -- that sentence has been REMOVED for later editions of the ELM!! for some reason )

-- If no bulletin board, that is a grievance.

-- Maybe a word with the PM that carriers might be able to get done earlier IF the mail was available earlier. ( If the clerk would concentrate on clerk work instead of supervisor work...... )

-- Put the onus on the PM to correct such behavior on the clerk's part or maybe someone will make an anonymous call to post authorities.

- Maybe asking the PM for the Postal Inspector's and Postal Police phone number may get things rolling.
- Or saying: "Let's see if anyone answers the 877-876-2455 or the 202-268-4566 phone numbers."
- Or maybe the Assistant District Representative could pay a visit to check up on the workplace atmosphere.

"will not let us touch the letter mail or flats before she is done working them( says she is measuring them which is a complete lie because we had a different clerk one day and she wanted to know why we weren't pulling the mail, and this clerk told us that was a lie, no measurements are being taken) ."

-- Apparently the clerk wasn't on the mail list for the RRECS Q&A. Dr. Mericle mentioned that DUVRS wasn't very accurate.

-- Good luck, but don't expect instant solutions and if manglement doesn't step up, expect an increase in "bad behavior".

Last edited:
You're entitled to all the equipment you need to complete your job. If it's not provided, file.

Additionally, if the clerk is delaying your day, let them. Record the time. You're to be paid for it. A few pay periods of that and some pencil pushing bean counter at district will discover a bug up their keister.
Thank you. They will just push up our time more, but I don't really care because I don't give a rat's butt anymore !

My goodness,thank you!!!!! As you might of known by now, we have no management. Our post master hasn't been in the office in over a year and an oIC is in charge. She stays in her office while a newly hired 204b (which is from our office, has alot less seniority than most of the carriers, but was hand picked by our invisible PM) handles the desk. I guess butt kissing pays off, anyway, both these individuals go along with this clerk. I now have fuel for the fire, thank you so very,very much!!!!!!

My goodness,thank you!!!!! As you might of known by now, we have no management. Our post master hasn't been in the office in over a year and an oIC is in charge. She stays in her office while a newly hired 204b (which is from our office, has alot less seniority than most of the carriers, but was hand picked by our invisible PM) handles the desk. I guess butt kissing pays off, anyway, both these individuals go along with this clerk. I now have fuel for the fire, thank you so very,very much!!!!!!
In addition to the good advice given up thread, you need to file a hostile workplace environment grievance to end the screaming and shouting and bullying. Document (dates/times, what occurred) every instance of the clerk’s inappropriate behavior. Contact your union rep for guidance. Good luck.

I was just talking to our office union rep. She is taking up for this clerk too. She told me once that we need to try to get along because this clerk has "mental issues". Our union rep just told me that the OIC will move our clock in time up one hour if we don't listen to her commands. Guess I'm fighting a loosing battle . Thanks!
In addition to the good advice given up thread, you need to file a hostile workplace environment grievance to end the screaming and shouting and bullying. Document (dates/times, what occurred) every instance of the clerk’s inappropriate behavior. Contact your union rep for guidance. Good luck.

I was just talking to our office union rep. She is taking up for this clerk too. She told me once that we need to try to get along because this clerk has "mental issues". Our union rep just told me that the OIC will move our clock in time up one hour if we don't listen to her commands. Guess I'm fighting a loosing battle . Thanks!
The NRLCA rep in your office cannot represent the clerk. As @Bleostic said, you need to contact your district representative if the local steward is attempting to represent the clerk.

Moving starting times later is the standard knee jerk manglement reaction. Notice I said "reaction" and NOT RESPONSE. Anyhow, when start times become later, so will "to the street times" become later as well as "return to office" times becoming later. You can tell manglement puts so much thought into this process. "Let's see, we are getting ready to LOSE an hour of daylight with the time change so let's bring the carriers in an hour later." Some of the return times on the routes MAY be AFTER the last dispatch truck has departed. Much is taken out on the rural craft because they can.

So, the office union rep, is that a national rural letter carrier union rep or a clerk craft steward or an city union steward? Stewards may only represent the craft they belong to. If it wasn't a rural union employee, they are not your steward. If it was your rural union steward, definitely call your district representative because that steward is representing the wrong craft.

This is scary. Real mental issues need treatment. Not enablers. While mental illness may be a reason for someone's obnoxious or hostile behavior, no one should have to stand back and accept that behavior.

Also, if this clerk really does have mental issues, carriers confronting her is probably making the problem worse. She obviously thinks she is in charge, so only someone who really is in charge can take her on. Since your supervision won't do anything then follow the advice of the others here and go over their heads.

Before the "mental issues" crack completely.

I've been thru this similar situation. I asked a friendly PM from another town what can be done.

Best advice he gave: That b*** isn't the boss. Don't listen to her and don't do anything she says. X is the boss, not her.

So, tell the b you're not the boss and you'll do whatever you damn well please😁

Back