• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Aux route question...5 and 1

"After completion of the assigned auxiliary route or primary route assignment, a leave replacement assigned to serve the auxiliary route may be utilized on any other auxiliary route or may provide auxiliary assistance on any regular route."

also Article 30.2.Q Additional Duties
"Leave replacements may be required to perform duties in addition to the route assignment, such as auxiliary assistance on other routes, Priority Mail Express duties, etc."...

So last year I opted for the Designed 72 (5/1) position along with relief on a 42K route. Earlier this year I switched routes with another RCA, from a K to a J route. The regular I currently serve on the J route takes LWOP every Saturday, hence they have no "relief day" that I know of.

Any way for myself to switch from Designed 72 (5/1) to (6/0)? Can I deny the regulars' LWOP Saturday shift? Our office does have two other RCAs to support.

I am looking to branch out and assist other offices for more hours.

Thank you.
So you are a Substitute Rural Carrier and not an RCA? Wow, you been here for what 38 years as a substitute. Congrats for hanging in that long.

To answer your question, the RCA on a 5 and 1 is required to work their primary and someone else works the Aux.

The Matrix does not apply to an Aux. route. If the RCA takes it as 5 and 1 and the regular goes out on assignment (or prolonged sick leave) the RCA continues to keep the Aux. route even while they are only working their primary, until the 90th day. (calendar days) At 90 days the RCA must either decide to take the Aux. 6 days or give it up. As far as I understand this is because and on the 90th day the RCA goes into leave earning status and can only be on one route for that designation, if on Aux. a 79 or if on a regular route a 74, can't be both. Until the 90th day the Aux. route should be carried by the next senior sub available.

The RCA must select one or the other by the 90th day and yes this is all spelled out in the contract.
Can you point me to the place in the contract because I get told something different by the next person everyday?

In a non formula office the RCA selects either 5-1 or 6 day. On a 6 day Aux. the RCA is assigned only to the Aux. but may be used (after completing the Aux.) on any other route in the office. Either taking a part of a route in assistance or taking a whole route. On a 5-1 the RCA is assigned to both the Aux. and as primary replacement on a regular route. That RCA is entitled to work the regular route any time the regular is not available. In that case the Aux. should be carried by the most senior available RCA. If no other RCA's are available then you may be required to carry both the regular route and the Aux. (you should never be "scheduled" for both if the combined hours are more than 12) but you can be ordered to work more than 12 hours. Just not scheduled for more than 12. Also the same rule about providing assistance or carrying other routes after completing the Aux. still applies to RCA's that select 5-1 Most of the Aux. route info is under article 30 in the contract pages 48-49
Could you please explain to me how this changes in a formula office and where to find it in the contract? I am so confused and have read this contract several times.

BTW... if a sub takes an aux route as their primary, the 5/1 option is not allowed in formula offices. So if your office has carriers with K-days on Tuesday-Friday, you're in a formula office and can only choose 6-day. Also keep in mind, the day you are not running the aux on the 5/1 option, you are also NOT accruing SL/AL. Good luck!
Where do I find this in the contract? I just accepted a position on an aux route as 5/1 but we are going formula next month.

To answer your question, the RCA on a 5 and 1 is required to work their primary and someone else works the Aux.

The Matrix does not apply to an Aux. route. If the RCA takes it as 5 and 1 and the regular goes out on assignment (or prolonged sick leave) the RCA continues to keep the Aux. route even while they are only working their primary, until the 90th day. (calendar days) At 90 days the RCA must either decide to take the Aux. 6 days or give it up. As far as I understand this is because and on the 90th day the RCA goes into leave earning status and can only be on one route for that designation, if on Aux. a 79 or if on a regular route a 74, can't be both. Until the 90th day the Aux. route should be carried by the next senior sub available.

The RCA must select one or the other by the 90th day and yes this is all spelled out in the contract.
I started as a RCA Sub for a RCA who was running a vac route. Then move to aux route & 5/1 for another regular route thats 9 hours. I had to run my aux route 6 days, plus the K day of the regular i was assigned to. yes two routes, plus fill the other rca leave (9hr route) days and my route. When my 90 day reached, I elected to do 6/0. I am 79 now, but still have to fill in for the RCA who decides to take off constantly, plus my aux route. I have notice on paystub its mark K & 78.except my aux is marked 79, I'm still learning the ins & out. I have been with this office little over one year. If i state i have other things going on, the mandate word is used, basically leaving no choice, and honestly doing 6/0 made no difference. i can see in emergency or major short of peeps. Honestly I thought all rules applied to RCA across the board. How does a RCA get the perks of having a K day as a regular does, and other RCA's do not. There is times almost 40 to 60 hours are put in. I do not collect annual/sick from running the other rca route. nor get a day off, except sundays, not including holidays when it manditory season. Is this a norm in the postal?

I started as a RCA Sub for a RCA who was running a vac route. Then move to aux route & 5/1 for another regular route thats 9 hours. I had to run my aux route 6 days, plus the K day of the regular i was assigned to. yes two routes, plus fill the other rca leave (9hr route) days and my route. When my 90 day reached, I elected to do 6/0. I am 79 now, but still have to fill in for the RCA who decides to take off constantly, plus my aux route. I have notice on paystub its mark K & 78.except my aux is marked 79, I'm still learning the ins & out. I have been with this office little over one year. If i state i have other things going on, the mandate word is used, basically leaving no choice, and honestly doing 6/0 made no difference. i can see in emergency or major short of peeps. Honestly I thought all rules applied to RCA across the board. How does a RCA get the perks of having a K day as a regular does, and other RCA's do not. There is times almost 40 to 60 hours are put in. I do not collect annual/sick from running the other rca route. nor get a day off, except sundays, not including holidays when it manditory season. Is this a norm in the postal?
An aux is not a full route, even full routes do not necessarily mean regs get a day off during the work week. J routes get every other Saturday off, H routes get no days off work 6 days a week, K route get 1 day off a week.

subs can be scheduled 7 days a week for months on end if needed. Nothing in our contract prohibits it, or requires a sub to have a day off on the rural side.

As far as being forced to work aux and a full route as long as the evals do not combine to greater than 12 hrs. if They are combined greater then 12 hrs, contact local rep get them involved asap. If no local rep get in touch with ADR, DR and get the ball rolling.

An aux is not a full route, even full routes do not necessarily mean regs get a day off during the work week. J routes get every other Saturday off, H routes get no days off work 6 days a week, K route get 1 day off a week.

subs can be scheduled 7 days a week for months on end if needed. Nothing in our contract prohibits it, or requires a sub to have a day off on the rural side.

As far as being forced to work aux and a full route as long as the evals do not combine to greater than 12 hrs. if They are combined greater then 12 hrs, contact local rep get them involved asap. If no local rep get in touch with ADR, DR and get the ball rolling.
Adding to say, with the drastically lower evaluations of some routes, scheduling cannot exceed 12 hours evaluation.

But scheduling an 8.0 K and a 4.0 aux that combined would take more than 12 hours actual time (including a 1/2 lunch) doesn’t mean a sub would be required to work over the 11 1/2 + lunch

ELM 432.32

How does a RCA get the perks of having a K day as a regular does, and other RCA's do not.
If a sub is availabel then mgmt can give a “Relief Day“ to a sub. Aux Routes are 6-Day work weeks regardless of 6-0 or 5-1.
There is times almost 40 to 60 hours are put in. I do not collect annual/sick from running the other rca route. nor get a day off, except sundays, not including holidays when it manditory season. Is this a norm in the postal?
You do earn AL for all hours worked regardless of the task at hand. Again… Auxiliary routes are a 6-Day workweek.
Be grateful that you aren’t being forced in on Sundays… you are actually supposed to be in the Alphabetical Rotation with other RCAs. The only RCA that is considered “last resort” is a Des 74 Hold-down.

Back