• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Begin mapping

The carrier that takes 3 hours to put up 500 flats will be paid the same as the one who only takes 30 minutes.
The carrier that takes 1 hour to pull down will get the same as the one who takes 15 minutes.
The carrier who takes 1 hour to mark their parcels and organize them will be paid the same that took 15 minutes.
Their are time standards for MOST things, you will be paid for that standard, nothing more or less.
I'm concerned with the drive matrix...this seems to be overlooked by many, but remains imho, just as important...can anyone expand on their understanding of the speed matrix? Thanks

The only comments I have on the drive matrix is that logically thinking (L route indicators are going away), so non L routes will probably take a big hit. This loss will be caused by now being evaluated by a high mph driving speed than before. On that same note tighter or more condensed neighborhood's may gain. This is just my opinion based on the old standard of 12 minutes per mile. I guess we just have to wait and see!

Way back when.... when all this study nonsense began... they used to say stuff like 80% or 90% of all carriers would be able to meet or beat these new standards....

Haven't heard any such talk recently.... :unsure:

I'm concerned with the drive matrix...this seems to be overlooked by many, but remains imho, just as important...can anyone expand on their understanding of the speed matrix? Thanks
Simply stated, if you can drive your route in less time than you are being paid for you will probably end up being paid less, depending more on the amount of difference. And if you are paid less than the time it takes to drive your route you will probably be paid more. Shorter routes will almost certainly gain, but not exactly bigly. Longer routes have more to lose, but a lot depends on spacing of boxes and stop signs and turns. Need to see the actual numbers to know for sure as is highly complex. If this ever comes about a poll should be taken, or 2. Are you being paid for more time than you can drive the route or less, and are you being paid for more time under RRECS or before it.
If you drive 30 or more miles at highest speed rating but can't drive 30 MPH or above, you can expect to lose.
Maximum possible loss is 33%. So 3 hours becomes 2 hours.
Should mean that every route can be driven in less time than they are being paid for, but does not consider weather conditions or speed limits, so bound to be a few that don't work that way.

Simply stated, if you can drive your route in less time than you are being paid for you will probably end up being paid less, depending more on the amount of difference. And if you are paid less than the time it takes to drive your route you will probably be paid more. Shorter routes will almost certainly gain, but not exactly bigly. Longer routes have more to lose, but a lot depends on spacing of boxes and stop signs and turns. Need to see the actual numbers to know for sure as is highly complex. If this ever comes about a poll should be taken, or 2. Are you being paid for more time than you can drive the route or less, and are you being paid for more time under RRECS or before it.
If you drive 30 or more miles at highest speed rating but can't drive 30 MPH or above, you can expect to lose.
Maximum possible loss is 33%. So 3 hours becomes 2 hours.
Should mean that every route can be driven in less time than they are being paid for, but does not consider weather conditions or speed limits, so bound to be a few that don't work that way.
if weather and road conditions aren't considered... mine will be the route no--body wants...:(

Yah, not to mention speed limits.

My sub may break land speed records, but I prefer to obey the law. Most of my route varies between 15, 25 and 35 mph limits. The lower ones are on 1 to 1 1/2 lane county roads.

Oi veh et al -- "not to mention speed limits."

-- From the August 2018 national magazine:

- The current pay system is based upon a single drive speed standard of 30 miles per hour or 2 minutes per mile.

- Under RRECS, the basic route is divided into interval based on route mapping results. In general, [ how come in it alway in "general", never in "private", but I digress ] back on track -- an interval is defined as the distance from one full stop to the next. RRECS has 47 ( that is FORTY SEVEN ) different drive time standards ranging from 4.57 mph for intervals of less than 15 feet to 39.45 mph for intervals greater than 5180 feet.. The RRECS standards are applied on an interval-by-interval basis.

-- Somehow those 47 drive time standards will apply to all 77,000+ rural routes?

-- The "smart" scanner will know which is the first and last mailbox? In such cases so when the vehicle is traveling from and to the route, it won't be limited to less than 40 MPH? Some carriers have posted they use the interstate to get to and from their routes.

-- Will those really, really rural routes with miles and miles between mail boxes be limited to less the 40 mph or face "speeding by scanner" accusations?

-- Going to be fun explaining new STOP signs the city or county puts up or encountered if required to detour from line of travel to make a timely Express Delivery.

I'm getting close to the end, so I've not been paying close attention, once RRECS is here, I will not...……...but I was wondering the other day, so when we add a new home to the route, how will be paid for it on RRECS? Now of course, we wait and wait and wait for the PO to update the 4003 and wait and wait...….. how will all that work?

Oi veh et al -- "not to mention speed limits."

-- The "smart" scanner will know which is the first and last mailbox? In such cases so when the vehicle is traveling from and to the route, it won't be limited to less than 40 MPH? Some carriers have posted they use the interstate to get to and from their routes.

-- Will those really, really rural routes with miles and miles between mail boxes be limited to less the 40 mph or face "speeding by scanner" accusations?

-- Going to be fun explaining new STOP signs the city or county puts up or encountered if required to detour from line of travel to make a timely Express Delivery.

Stop sign to stop sign or light will be the measurement plus all the turns & mailboxes. Strangely enough, with all the stoplights & different MPH to my neighborhood, that 7.5 miles takes about 15 minutes. That’s with 40, 55, 60 (rarely), 45, & 30 MPH zones & 4 lefts, 3 rights, and 7 stop lights.

I'll tell ya...smh..I.have a newer development..the boxes are 50 ' apart...I'm hoping to gain enough to make this mess a wash
Fwiw...I haven't been truly rural for near 20 years.

I can watch the Corn grow, see a beautiful landscape, deliver a neighborhood, AND handle major & minor businesses within a 10 mile radius on my route. I’m both Rural & City in the same route. ?

Most routes will gain small to moderate amounts of time. Some will lose. It depends ENTIRELY on how your route is laid out, so it is tough to generalize.

My route is rather sparse (roughly 100 miles, 300 boxes) and I'm going to gain about 8 minutes a day on drive time. I used a wrist watch GPS to measure my route and then wrote a program to figure up the drive time:
RRECS: Drive Time Revisited

Unfortunately, this is still well short of the time it actually takes to drive my route. Most of the roads are "gravel" but are more accurately described as "mud with a few rocks." Seldom do I crack 35mph.

Likewise this new system doesn't consider weather conditions. So if you have to putt along in snow/ice country, no help there either.

If you are driving more then 5190 ft b/n events, they expect you to AVERAGE 39.45mph. Which means you need to cruise at something closer to 45mph to make that average speed (ie if you want the average to be 39.45 mph you have to reach a speed FASTER than that to make up for the time accelerating). So just remember the speeds in the drive time matrix are AVERAGE speeds, you have to reach a peak speed faster than that.

Josh and I are talking about drive time on the next podcast episode. So if you prefer to consume your RRECS info that way, stay tuned!

Most routes will gain small to moderate amounts of time. Some will lose. It depends ENTIRELY on how your route is laid out, so it is tough to generalize.

My route is rather sparse (roughly 100 miles, 300 boxes) and I'm going to gain about 8 minutes a day on drive time. I used a wrist watch GPS to measure my route and then wrote a program to figure up the drive time:
RRECS: Drive Time Revisited

Unfortunately, this is still well short of the time it actually takes to drive my route. Most of the roads are "gravel" but are more accurately described as "mud with a few rocks." Seldom do I crack 35mph.

Likewise this new system doesn't consider weather conditions. So if you have to putt along in snow/ice country, no help there either.

If you are driving more then 5190 ft b/n events, they expect you to AVERAGE 39.45mph. Which means you need to cruise at something closer to 45mph to make that average speed (ie if you want the average to be 39.45 mph you have to reach a speed FASTER than that to make up for the time accelerating). So just remember the speeds in the drive time matrix are AVERAGE speeds, you have to reach a peak speed faster than that.

Josh and I are talking about drive time on the next podcast episode. So if you prefer to consume your RRECS info that way, stay tuned!

I see this as an issue on 80 % of my route as maximum speed limits are 25 mph on all neighborhood roads in my town. So I will be having 39.45 mph being used against me when I'm only allowed by law to go 25 mph!

I see this as an issue on 80 % of my route as maximum speed limits are 25 mph on all neighborhood roads in my town. So I will be having 39.45 mph being used against me when I'm only allowed by law to go 25 mph!
So, no problem with the 30 MPH being used against you now?
Neighborhoods with mailboxes half mile apart?
Don't you get a lower MPH for shorter distances?

FYI, one mile is 5280 feet. Do you frequently travel that far between, stop sign/light/ mail boxes/dismounts?

I'll tell ya...smh..I.have a newer development..the boxes are 50 ' apart...I'm hoping to gain enough to make this mess a wash
Fwiw...I haven't been truly rural for near 20 years.
So you don't have any worries about backing up more than 50'. Good on you.

Back