• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Bend over, it's about to hit the fan.

hmmm...we COULD all slow down.....just perhaps 10-20%....record time accurately......The city has had a concentrated effort to go slow, and keep subs slow, in all offices I've worked in....why not us?
Work fast won't last is for real. Human is not a machine. Your body is a lifetime commitment. The city union cares about the health wealth and well being of their due paying members.

Maybe they'll do a national count this September and then implement RRECS on the tail end.... it'll be a total bloodbath, and make me look like a complete genius for getting the flock out... :unsure: ?‍♂️??
I'm hoping the union really analyzes the rrecs numbers in comparison to evaluation. If it even looks slightly hinky, just go hourly. While I have loved the evaluated system of the past, the current system is not working for parcel routes. And it likely won't benefit anyone other than a high mileage route. I can suck it up to work just an 8 hour day. But, my high 3 is already earned at past salary. It wouldn't be the end of the world to go hourly...not anymore.

I'm hoping the union really analyzes the rrecs numbers in comparison to evaluation. If it even looks slightly hinky, just go hourly. While I have loved the evaluated system of the past, the current system is not working for parcel routes. And it likely won't benefit anyone other than a high mileage route. I can suck it up to work just an 8 hour day. But, my high 3 is already earned at past salary. It wouldn't be the end of the world to go hourly...not anymore.
In my office the 55 + city routes have only 3 CCAS. They cannot keep them either. We should have 15. And they do not have to supply a vehicle,work for free when you work over the evaluation of the route, no Holiday pay,etc..The carrier position is the worst position in the Postal system and needs better pay, better benefits,and better training. Management needs to be held more accountable. City side has lots of problems, and they are hourly with better benefits. I witnessed a city carrier sobbing in the bathroom last week how she cannot get vacation time approved. Look at Chicago.There was routes that didn’t receive mail for weeks.
The evaluation system has worked for the Rural in my office. 95% are under evaluation every day . We have LLVs in suburban area. Yes the bump was better 20 years ago roughly 4 hours a day under evaluation. Now about 2 hours a day on the heavy parcel routes. I do wonder if my high 3 would still count if we went hourly or I switched my postal career? We have a career carrier going to the Postal Inspection side.

In my office the 55 + city routes have only 3 CCAS. They cannot keep them either. We should have 15. And they do not have to supply a vehicle,work for free when you work over the evaluation of the route, no Holiday pay,etc..The carrier position is the worst position in the Postal system and needs better pay, better benefits,and better training. Management needs to be held more accountable. City side has lots of problems, and they are hourly with better benefits. I witnessed a city carrier sobbing in the bathroom last week how she cannot get vacation time approved. Look at Chicago.There was routes that didn’t receive mail for weeks.
The evaluation system has worked for the Rural in my office. 95% are under evaluation every day . We have LLVs in suburban area. Yes the bump was better 20 years ago roughly 4 hours a day under evaluation. Now about 2 hours a day on the heavy parcel routes. I do wonder if my high 3 would still count if we went hourly or I switched my postal career? We have a career carrier going to the Postal Inspection side.
I'm sorry but I cannot wrap my head around what you are saying about the rural side. 4 hrs under eval? Per day? Or per week? 2 hrs under on the heavy parcel routes? Today, Friday we averaged an hour and a half over/route. Over 3 times the parcels we saw last count. How can that Be? Something isn't right. Pay us hourly. 6 years of free Amazon. 5 of the original 6 carriers gone. Duke St. WAKE UP AND HELP US who are getting killed with Amazon and online shopping

I'm sorry but I cannot wrap my head around what you are saying about the rural side. 4 hrs under eval? Per day? Or per week? 2 hrs under on the heavy parcel routes? Today, Friday we averaged an hour and a half over/route. Over 3 times the parcels we saw last count. How can that Be? Something isn't right. Pay us hourly. 6 years of free Amazon. 5 of the original 6 carriers gone. Duke St. WAKE UP AND HELP US who are getting killed with Amazon and online shopping
hmmm....thought we were cake when we were an hour over evaluation daily for typical routes. Yes, we do score a great day where under an hour, but typical suburban LLV routes are rarely under, and we're a supplemental Amazon delivery point, but our own parcels plus others, are huge now. Had a couple hundred today, average it seems. Even casing DPS I'm usually under office time and over street time, because parcels are what takes the time.

Skier, there was once upon a time in the fabled past of our origins in myth and mist, a time where carrier's worked at least 3 hours under a day. A time when mailboxes weren't locked and few sent missives requiring walks to doorways. It was a time before internet, in primeval days of old. But, it is not this day. This day we meet the adversary at the pallet. And vanquish them at the end of long, winding drives. Near dwellings of electric mysticism, where their thoughts and wants materialize from our steady route beasts.

It's lord of the rings weekend. In 30 minute intervals. That's about as long as I can stay awake after this week.?

hmmm....thought we were cake when we were an hour over evaluation daily for typical routes. Yes, we do score a great day where under an hour, but typical suburban LLV routes are rarely under, and we're a supplemental Amazon delivery point, but our own parcels plus others, are huge now. Had a couple hundred today, average it seems. Even casing DPS I'm usually under office time and over street time, because parcels are what takes the time.
There is a 43 K route LLV that is 500 clusters 120 curbside 13 mile route that is done in 3.5 to 5 hours everyday except for weather or or waiting for parcels.

There is a 43 K route LLV that is 500 clusters 120 curbside 13 mile route that is done in 3.5 to 5 hours everyday except for weather or or waiting for parcels.
Not doubting you at all, but I am curious, having worked many offices in different situations going back a few years -- although, as my name indicates I might have memory flaws! What type of volumes do you have when you do this route? Random flats and letters, DPS, sequenced flats, EDDM, chunks/SPRS, parcels? Do you have FSS and do you take it to the street or case in office? Thanks!

Skier, there was once upon a time in the fabled past of our origins in myth and mist, a time where carrier's worked at least 3 hours under a day. A time when mailboxes weren't locked and few sent missives requiring walks to doorways. It was a time before internet, in primeval days of old. But, it is not this day. This day we meet the adversary at the pallet. And vanquish them at the end of long, winding drives. Near dwellings of electric mysticism, where their thoughts and wants materialize from our steady route beasts.

It's lord of the rings weekend. In 30 minute intervals. That's about as long as I can stay awake after this week.?
Well said, my comrade! Many factors now slow us down, but the biggest add to our times is cramming parcels in the LLV so we don't have a second trip, and the 200 trips to front doors we never made in our distant past of undertimes, And we're just an Amazon supplemental office, but our upscale customers just can't stop buying stuff. First class mail surely way down, but 3rd class ads and EDDM has multiple realtors and others competing which still takes time to case (or deliver, if you the one who takes it to the street). No FSS so it's all still sorted and cased. Had ONE realtor group who had FIVE cards for every residence in DPS one day last week.

Not complaining, as volume keeps us employed. But just saying I suppose why we aren't undertime. We also, by virtue of the "survey" could be more on the unique side, where apparently everyone else seems to be making times easily. Dunno, maybe we are just slow.

Our office counted in 2018 w/Amazon. We were hit with Covid volume until fall of 2020. An Amazon delivery hub opened.
Not all days have huge parcels. My parcel volume is near my count numbers now. DPS and flats have died. Easily under 3 hours/day. 46K
Last Friday I had 3 1/2 trays pulled down. ( Flats, DPS and Raw letters.) I swear 3/4 of the parcels were spurs. Quite a few drive bys. Done 4 hours under.
All in our office are under by varying degrees.

Our office counted in 2018 w/Amazon. We were hit with Covid volume until fall of 2020. An Amazon delivery hub opened.
Not all days have huge parcels. My parcel volume is near my count numbers now. DPS and flats have died. Easily under 3 hours/day. 46K
Last Friday I had 3 1/2 trays pulled down. ( Flats, DPS and Raw letters.) I swear 3/4 of the parcels were spurs. Quite a few drive bys. Done 4 hours under.
Curious, what is your daily average on DPS end of run? Most route out here are still above 2300 a day. More on sat/ Monday

Curious, what is your daily average on DPS end of run? Most route out here are still above 2300 a day. More on sat/ Monday
Last time I asked was a heavy day. 1900, I think.
Most days 3 DPS trays loose. So I would say if pushed tight, 1/2 to 3/4 full.
On Friday, one tub of flats from plant. It had 5 flats in it. Pitched flats from clerk, 1/3 tub. 6 inches presort flats.

Last time I asked was a heavy day. 1900, I think.
Most days 3 DPS trays loose. So I would say if pushed tight, 1/2 to 3/4 full.
On Friday, one tub of flats from plant. It had 5 flats in it. Pitched flats from clerk, 1/3 tub. 6 inches presort flats.
And this is why a national agreement is so hard to cover all types of routes. My rt is typically about 14000 dps a week. My flats are less but still 3 tubs and 2-3 feet unless business catalogs come in. We get tub loads of eddm daily. But, I'm small miles in a central city business area. I admire the ones who still have gravel and mud bogs on a daily basis.

And this is why a national agreement is so hard to cover all types of routes. My rt is typically about 14000 dps a week. My flats are less but still 3 tubs and 2-3 feet unless business catalogs come in. We get tub loads of eddm daily. But, I'm small miles in a central city business area. I admire the ones who still have gravel and mud bogs on a daily basis.
Our routes are roughly similar in our offices, I believe.

I still believe that our current evaluation system is basically acceptable, but it needs some tweaks to cover all types of routes fairly. The other part needed is the ability of management OR carrier to have route re-evaluated IF there's a shift of more than say 20%. I've written extensively previously as to how I'd propose the specifics, and I'm fully confident, as a route counter, one who's assisted realignment in several offices, that it could work fairly. I understand the calculations and how they're applied. It CAN work.

Disclosing previous private sector realignments I've been part of, I am fully confident I could fix it. Would I ever get the chance? Never. Would I ever even get the chance to give credible input? NO, nobody is interested in really listening, they have their agenda and all of US are simply going to do whatever arrives in the contract. I'm blowing hot air here. Whatever happens there will be zero consideration for what the actual workers want.

The REAL problem is that those who are under, or on, don't want evaluation as they're worried they'll lose. Those who are over crave evaluation, so they're no longer working for free. Right or wrong, each group is operating in their own self interest, even if fairly. A fair evaluation system (our current one, with some changes) would give all types of routes the ability to work on AVERAGE at or below evaluation. The way this REMAINS fair is the ability of management OR carrier to re-evaluate for major changes. Since these evaluations come at any time during the year, it would be tough for operations to withhold mail during the period, as it would be different for everyone.

Going hourly would surely be an hours work for an hours pay. The sacrifice we'd make for that, when it could be done through salaried evaluation, in my view, is too much. I see the supervisors walking the city side yelling "hurry up, get out of here, you're five minutes late" and "what do you mean that swing is 45 minutes it was 30 minutes yesterday" where every part of our work would be open to examination, evaluation daily, with MORE involvement with supervisors we surely don't want. I personally have no interest in taking everything to the street, nor do I want to carry and case parts of other routes. I'm done with specifics, but I've worked city in several offices and it's surely not for me. The city carriers in our offices actually would PREFER to be rural carriers. Enough said, I'll already get a dozen responses as to why I'm full of horse crap.

This is our office now . At least 3 new Amazon hubs have opened. 4 pallets of Amazon compared to 10 to 15 a day now. FED EX is gone. No FFS ,flat bundles maybe 3-6 feet , tubs 2 feet, DPS 3-6 trays. I did not mention the mom that comes in at 8:45 and is done between 12:30 and 2:00 on a 44K. She is the fastest caser of mail I have ever seen.You watch her and see how the new standards for DPS is over 80 letters minute. Some people come in kick a$$
go home.

Back