• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Benefits of union membership as RCA?

handsomprisoner11 -- "Benefits of union membership as RCA? -- Curious if it's something I should look into."

-- You mean no one has approached you about joining? That in itself says a lot.

-- Besides what "Morty" posted, you'll get the monthly national magazine.

-- Access to the "treasure trove" of info beyond the NRCLA's home page.

-- The March 2017 issue of the national magazine has an article entitled: Why it pays to belong to the NRLCA. The same item can be found at the NRLCA home page -- no need to go "inside".

-- President Stutt's might even reply to your email as a member of the NRLCA.

-- IF you decide to join and if you can handle the cost, opt to pay annually by cash or check. If you decide being a NRLCA member is not for you, just stop paying. Much simpler that having to get your request to stop having dues withheld from your paycheck. ( like a 10-day window! Miss the window, than you are a member for another year )

-- The choice to belong, or not, is yours.

Three simple words: access to information.
No mgr. is going to care whether you're getting screwed over; most it seems make it their mission to be sure that you do. A lot of angry regulars will do things that you will perceive as treating you like crap; it's just the nature of the position--the regular wants relief, and buddy, you're it, like it or not.

No one is more interested in your circumstance than YOU. But learning "the rules" is the only way you're going to help yourself. 'Cause no one else is going to care enough to see that you get help. Becoming a member gets you the magazine issues that provide some insight into your working contract (even though a LOT of career carriers are hopelessly uninformed about it!) and access to all the archived material on the union website, as btdtret described. That's where you'll educate yourself in the steward reference section as to what's been fought before, and what the rules really are.

Could be the difference between survival/persevering in the USPS or giving up in frustration/helplessness and hopelessness.

Also, attending union meetings gets you semi-regular access to the folks who know how to handle the crap! That's priceless if you are having real trouble in your office.

Just my humble opinions. Worked for me, so far. Glad I got involved, even if it took me years to do so.

Are you still on probation as an RCA? If so, consider holding off on joining until you've had a chance to see how things work at your location. While you're on probation, you can be terminated for just about any reason. While the union technically represents you during probation, they'll likely say there's nothing they can do for you if you're fired.

There is nothing that says you have to join up right away. It's really easy to get in, but very difficult to get out if you don't like it. Take time during the probation period to see exactly what the union has to offer you. Maybe you have a great steward who keeps management on their toes. Maybe not. Maybe you might be interested in becoming a steward yourself, if you don't have one already. Make the best decision for you about whether or not to join.

Either way, keep coming to this website. You'll get a lot of quality information here.

[QUOTE="handsomprisoner11, post: 103030, member: 6157"]
Curious if it's something I should look into.
[/QUOTE]

btdtret --- beat me to it! He/she said!
"IF you decide to join and if you can handle the cost, opt to pay annually by cash or check. If you decide being a NRLCA member is not for you, just stop paying. Much simpler that having to get your request to stop having dues withheld from your paycheck. ( like a 10-day window! Miss the window, than you are a member for another year ) "

Being a cash paying member is the only way to go! I became a cash paying member about 3 years ago after many years of being in the Payroll deduction for union dues system.

Right now the NRLCA is on a short leash with me for many issues (you pick a topic), with so many delays with the contract, retro and RRECS does the NRLCA really have any purpose? Anyway I'll have a decision to make when my annual dues payment becomes due this year! To be honest its getting harder to justify each year!

Last edited:
I've been wondering about this lately, too, but only for one reason. I've been trying to ask our representative if the union has any glimmer of a plan to try and help rurals that are so clearly being taking advantage of, overworked, and underpaid right now.

I'm sure he'll ask why I'm not a member, but feel I have two excellent reasons NOT to be right now.
1. Didn't want to put dues on auto-deduct, so I emailed the person listed on the flyer we got during our initial orientation 4 years ago, got no reply. I then wrote out and mailed a letter to this person, got no reply.
2. We were counted without Amazon, and 10 days later had it dumped on us, with no help since from union.

So now, if I complain, giving money to the union will somehow make things better for me? That's some "fool and his money" territory, I'm afraid.

Are you still on probation as an RCA? If so, consider holding off on joining until you've had a chance to see how things work at your location. While you're on probation, you can be terminated for just about any reason. While the union technically represents you during probation, they'll likely say there's nothing they can do for you if you're fired.

There is nothing that says you have to join up right away. It's really easy to get in, but very difficult to get out if you don't like it. Take time during the probation period to see exactly what the union has to offer you. Maybe you have a great steward who keeps management on their toes. Maybe not. Maybe you might be interested in becoming a steward yourself, if you don't have one already. Make the best decision for you about whether or not to join.

Either way, keep coming to this website. You'll get a lot of quality information here.

Now that's some very sound advice. You have the greatest people on this site that can truly help you and have loads and loads of knowledge.
As blamethesub said "Either way, keep coming to this website. You'll get a lot of quality information here".

Access to health insurance?

Better representation, and some will poo poo it because it's supposed to be equal. But no way is it in my district.

I cost the inion way more than I pay in. So I'm getting a good value ?
You should get an educator of the year award!! All the things your steward is learning from your cases can help others down the road?

I always heard if you get in some deep trouble. USPS tries to fire you, our Union will help you keep your job... Anyone got any stories about this, or know someone that our union stepped in and saved their job?
The Union is there to protect any carrier whether they are a member or not. I saved a carrier’s job from a Letter of Removal for delaying mail. I have no idea if he’s a member or not.

I've always had union jobs and I'm sorry to say in every case it has not been worth the money. Dont get me wrong, back in the day unions were awesome but nowa days not so much. In my experience the only jobs unions ever saved were lazy asses who should of gotten fired anyway. Sorry but I've had more than enough unions taking my money to help guys who it really shouldn't. From what I've seen of our local stewards I made the right decision. Your mileage may vary.

I haven't been approached by a steward I actually don't know who he/she is if there is one in my PO. Are was suppose to come talk to us RCAs during orientation but he was actually the only one that DIDN'T how up. I still am on PROB, I'll ask other RCAs in my office. This site really has helped me a lot and the members as well! So thanks for that.

I've been working for 3.5 years, don't know who the steward is, never been approached by anyone, and honestly don't care. :)

You get the association magazine with all the black and white photographs of bigwigs standing around at the National Convention. Its the highlight of the NRLCA year.

[QUOTE="handsomprisoner11, post: 103030, member: 6157"]
Curious if it's something I should look into.

btdtret --- beat me to it! He/she said!
"IF you decide to join and if you can handle the cost, opt to pay annually by cash or check. If you decide being a NRLCA member is not for you, just stop paying. Much simpler that having to get your request to stop having dues withheld from your paycheck. ( like a 10-day window! Miss the window, than you are a member for another year ) "

Being a cash paying member is the only way to go! I became a cash paying member about 3 years ago after many years of being in the Payroll deduction for union dues system.

Right now the NRLCA is on a short leash with me for many issues (you pick a topic), with so many delays with the contract, retro and RRECS does the NRLCA really have any purpose? Anyway I'll have a decision to make when my annual dues payment becomes due this year! To be honest its getting harder to justify each year!
[/QUOTE]
Please tell how you were able to get out of payroll deduct and into cash pay. The obvious.... have to wait for that ever present window of opportunity, but is there a time limit in which to re enroll?

NRLCA membership? Imho, don't waste your money! Has your union stepped up during this parcel onslaught? Are you table 2 and make 6-'7k less/year than table 1, ? are you an rca in 2020 who makes less now than I did as an rca in 2011,? do you get real benefits aka paid holidays, paid vacation, paid sick time(not covid)? If you answer no, yes, yes and no...Then you are wasting your money by paying dues. A fed up ex union supporter!

Back