• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Cancelled leave?

I have a question about cancelling leave...but I'm referring to a regular carrier cancelling a leave request.
I have recently had an occasion where I had requested (sick) leave for a doctor appointment. 4 days before the appointment, my doctors office rescheduled the appointment for a few weeks out. I immediately let my Postmaster know I wouldn't need the day after all. My PM was ok with me cancelling, however he informed me that he would still have to pay the RCA who was scheduled for that day her days pay. I asked why, and what the acceptable time frame is for cancelling sick leave. I feel like burning a sick day when I'm not going to my appointment is a waste, and am floored that management is ok with paying the regular AND the RCA for the same day, especially when several days notice were given. I reached out to my steward and asked what the language is on this, and if there is a time frame on cancelling. I have not heard a word, and have attempted to reach her several times. Anybody have any experience with this issue? Thanks

I have a question about cancelling leave...but I'm referring to a regular carrier cancelling a leave request.
I have recently had an occasion where I had requested (sick) leave for a doctor appointment. 4 days before the appointment, my doctors office rescheduled the appointment for a few weeks out. I immediately let my Postmaster know I wouldn't need the day after all. My PM was ok with me cancelling, however he informed me that he would still have to pay the RCA who was scheduled for that day her days pay. I asked why, and what the acceptable time frame is for cancelling sick leave. I feel like burning a sick day when I'm not going to my appointment is a waste, and am floored that management is ok with paying the regular AND the RCA for the same day, especially when several days notice were given. I reached out to my steward and asked what the language is on this, and if there is a time frame on cancelling. I have not heard a word, and have attempted to reach her several times. Anybody have any experience with this issue? Thanks
been here since the 1980's... never seen a rcr, rca, trc, ptf get anything besides: "a we don't need you anymore".....

mainegirl -- " a question about cancelling leave. "

-- Despite plenty of notice of cancelling leave, PM still going to pay regular and RCA for the same route.

-- Politely ask for a reference. ( good luck )

-- Politely ask what the RCA will be doing when you both come into work on the same route.

-- PM's have no problem calling in an RCA at the last minute to cover a route. Should be able to call the RCA to explain why no longer needed on the route.

-- Any chance the RCA in question is the PM's "pet"?

-- Or the PM was just afraid to tell the RCA: Your services not needed because the regular cancelled the leave request". (with plenty of advance notice), because the RCA knows where "some of the bodies are buried?"))

As a follow up, I finally got to speak with my steward. She said there’s really “no language” that specifically deals with this issue. She also said that in her opinion the RCA should NOT be compensated when sufficient notice of the change in schedule has been given.(like in my case where I gave 4 days notice to cancel the sick day because of my appointment change.)
Steward said MAYBE if leave was canceled one day before scheduled she could see RCA being paid, but not with a considerate amount of notice, as in my case. This whole thing still seems a little “foggy” and I’m still not convinced. I understand the 2 hour “show up” pay scenario, but this is a different situation....

mainegirl -- " a question about cancelling leave. "

-- Despite plenty of notice of cancelling leave, PM still going to pay regular and RCA for the same route.

-- Politely ask for a reference. ( good luck )

-- Politely ask what the RCA will be doing when you both come into work on the same route.

-- PM's have no problem calling in an RCA at the last minute to cover a route. Should be able to call the RCA to explain why no longer needed on the route.

-- Any chance the RCA in question is the PM's "pet"?

-- Or the PM was just afraid to tell the RCA: Your services not needed because the regular cancelled the leave request". (with plenty of advance notice), because the RCA knows where "some of the bodies are buried?"))
As an RCA I have been scheduled before then told couple days ahead of the scheduled day that I was not needed, did NOT get paid for that day...

As an RCA I have been scheduled before then told couple days ahead of the scheduled day that I was not needed, did NOT get paid for that day...

I had it done to me back in the day, I actually cancelled working my other job so that I could cover for the day that never happened! I ended up with just taking the day off from both jobs. So in essence loosing a days pay at two different jobs for the same day, never happened again! As they say no good deed goes unpunished.

Back