Car breakdown scenario

Car breaks down in the middle of the route. Sub can't be found to take over the rest of the delivery. A good samaritan offers their vehicle for you to use. At the end of the day, the postmaster starts the inquisition as to tomorrows delivery. He says to use the good samaritans car again. I say I can't. It's too late in the day to get a rental, and no other good samaritans exist to beg for their car.

If a car cannot be acquired for the next day's delivery, what are the consequences? The postmasters threats and protestations do not make a solution suddenly appear. Although I must say, I do enjoy the look of concern on his face.

Car breaks down in the middle of the route. Sub can't be found to take over the rest of the delivery. A good samaritan offers their vehicle for you to use. At the end of the day, the postmaster starts the inquisition as to tomorrows delivery. He says to use the good samaritans car again. I say I can't. It's too late in the day to get a rental, and no other good samaritans exist to beg for their car.

If a car cannot be acquired for the next day's delivery, what are the consequences? The postmasters threats and protestations do not make a solution suddenly appear. Although I must say, I do enjoy the look of concern on his face.
Use postmasters car !

Morty

PMs car, clerks car, express van, llv

That or lwop, they make the call. Just state you are willing and able to work. You gave a reasonable solution.

eomr

My van broke down on my day off. I called the PO to let my supervisor know what happened and I wouldn't be in the next day. He wasn't there so I spoke to the Postmaster. He said that he didn't mean to be a jerk but I supposed to provide a vehicle for the route. I said that I did but it was in the shop. He hung up on me.
EMA barely covers one vehicle. Sometimes common sense isn't common. Want multiple vehicles provided, then increase EMA.

btdtret

sinister minister -- "Car breaks down in the middle of the route. Sub can't be found to take over the rest of the delivery. A good samaritan offers their vehicle for you to use. At the end of the day, the postmaster starts the inquisition as to tomorrows delivery. He says to use the good samaritans car again. I say I can't. It's too late in the day to get a rental, and no other good samaritans exist to beg for their car."

-- Stuff happens!!

-- All POV office or a POV / LLV mix? Any other POV user that would be off for the next day?

-- If the PM did not check out the "good Samaritan", the PM might be looking at charges for allowing some ( unvetted ) person ride in a vehicle used to deliver mail. Know anyone at District?? Postal Inspector Office?? USPS OIG office??

-- It is an unwritten, undocumented dirty USPS secret that POV users are supposed to have a route-ready back-up vehicle.

-- Even had there be time to rent a vehicle, the company may balk if you are truthful in saying what the vehicle would be used for. You could be on the hook for any damage if you rent without telling the company that you would be delivering mail out of the vehicle.

"If a car cannot be acquired for the next day's delivery, what are the consequences?"

-- The PM has had advanced notice, so let the PM do his/her job in dealing with scheduling.

-- If no subs in the local area nor spare LLV's in the District, ask the PM to use his / her vehicle. If turned down, put in for annual or LWOP.

-- Then there is the Unscheduled Leave phone number to use -- if the headache or cough gets any worse.

-- And smile if you tell the PM to "Suit up and show us how good you are as a carrier!" Well, maybe not the last part! Your choice.

-- Consequences? You've provided plenty of advance notice, so probably just the PM's ( continued ) dislike or hatred.

"-- It is an unwritten, undocumented dirty USPS secret that POV users are supposed to have a route-ready back-up vehicle."
This may be a management assumption, but appears to be unenforceable on it's face.

It's a small office, no llv, way out in the sticks. It was fortunate to get that days mail delivered...by dispatch no less. I even got a ,"well do what you have to do" as I walked out the door.

PastOThirty

For the 120 dollars gross you might get as a table 2 regular or relief carrier without step increases or a big route, it’s hard to justify spending 100 dollars to rent an 80 dollar minivan plus gas and cleaning prior to return when you net more sitting at home doing nothing in your underwear while someone else fixed your wreck of a route vehicle, whether it is a paid day or not. For a table one, high step regular with a big route, working might be worth it. I will never have that experience to tell you though.

We aren’t contract routes, and we aren’t paid Ema to have two vehicles, and I think we barely can say it’s enough for even one adequate/appropriate vehicle. F them. Make them make a call. You can’t fix or maintain vehicle while you are using it.

Windindaface

As a higher table REG with repair skills, tools and garage who delivered for long time in POV before LLV. You burn SL/AL while the car is in the shop and pray the day off pay covers the repairs which it doesn't. Heavens forbid 2 -3 day wait for repair.

That's why I purchased low cost a slash and burn ride stowed away which could pass a State inspection but might not fit daily load. A phone call to ins agent a quick visit to DMV to swap plates on day off. Delivering the next day. Main ride repaired repeat process when done on an early day.

As to HC routes and ride... There is a new rule requiring HC routes have this much space in ride depending on size of route, and the ride must be less than 10 years old. HC in office without other office drops is now in a scramble to find ride less than 10 old with 100 cubic feet to renew contract.

This 100 cubic feet scares me as an LLV driver. Is the Machine now predicting more JUMBO parcels to be delivered? The present LLV cubic footage is 121. The new generation LLV development requires 155 or more. At a price range of 25-35K. The LLVS we know and detest cost 11k+ when that contract was awarded.

Last edited:

btdtret

Windindaface et al -- " There is a new rule requiring HC routes have this much space in ride depending on size of route, and the ride must be less than 10 years old."

-- Any word out there that HC personnel trying to fight the 10-year old or newer vehicle requirement while pointing out the obvious that the USPS is using 30+ year old LLV's?

-- Disparate treatment, maybe?

-- Worst yet, will the USPS make cargo space and vehicle age a requirement for rural carrier POV users?

Oi veh.

Staff member
Tell him that your sub (any sub) is your back up vehicle.

Like we need more stress when our vehicle breaks down.

(I do have a backup now - kinda like Wind's, but didn't for years. Got tired of having to use perfectly good leave for car repairs.)

Tell him that your sub (any sub) is your back up vehicle.

Like we need more stress when our vehicle breaks down.

(I do have a backup now - kinda like Wind's, but didn't for years. Got tired of having to use perfectly good leave for car repairs.)
We, then must pay to go to work. This is a simple issue that I have begged the "Union" to address over the years.

Oi veh.

Staff member
I would like to see repair time for POVers in the contract.

However, the PO does not require me to have a backup. That is my choice in order to save my leave. It cost all of 600 bucks for a junker which I use probably 5 - 8 days out of the year.