Check all mailboxes for ballots?

Rt2mailman

I fail to see where this is an "extra" task. We are paid to service each box every day as part of our evaluation. As a non L route, I'm paid 2 minutes per box.
The pay you receive for each box is the "average" amount of time to deliver. In that average there are boxes that receive NO delivery on different days, therefore you are not paid to stop and "check" every box.
ANY order given by any manager must follow in the same work that was required of you during your last count. If you were not required to check every box then, you can grieve this NEW order requiring your base pay to be increased. Any political mail being now required to be written on or placed in different places than your last count is also payable. Regulars should be paid on form 8127, and Rca's on a green card, for ANY new work.

gotstamps

I fail to see where this is an "extra" task. We are paid to service each box every day as part of our evaluation. As a non L route, I'm paid 2 minutes per box.
I’m in agreement with you. We are paid a set number to service a box every day. It is a “perk” to not have to stop at a box that is receiving no mail for that day without losing the box pay. I don’t see mgmt requiring peeps to stop at known Vacant boxes but I understand them requesting us to stop at all Actives.
I imagine that when RRECS finally roles out we will lose a bit of time for those boxes that we roll right by.

DB.Cooper

The pay you receive for each box is the "average" amount of time to deliver. In that average there are boxes that receive NO delivery on different days, therefore you are not paid to stop and "check" every box.
ANY order given by any manager must follow in the same work that was required of you during your last count. If you were not required to check every box then, you can grieve this NEW order requiring your base pay to be increased. Any political mail being now required to be written on or placed in different places than your last count is also payable. Regulars should be paid on form 8127, and Rca's on a green card, for ANY new work.
I guess the NRLCA will be coming out with a statement to that effect.... in light of these widespread abuses now occurring.... 👉🤷‍♂️👈

sinister minister

In addition, I am being paid for the amount of mail I received during evaluation. I don't recall seeing any additional compensation for the vast increase in mail and parcels. I do recall contributing many free hours of labor to deliver said increased volume.

sinister minister

I’m in agreement with you. We are paid a set number to service a box every day. It is a “perk” to not have to stop at a box that is receiving no mail for that day without losing the box pay. I don’t see mgmt requiring peeps to stop at known Vacant boxes but I understand them requesting us to stop at all Actives.
I imagine that when RRECS finally roles out we will lose a bit of time for those boxes that we roll right by.
In that instance, I will check every mailbox everyday because that will be part of compensation. I will refer back to this election edict when challenged.

Rt2mailman

In addition, I am being paid for the amount of mail I received during evaluation. I don't recall seeing any additional compensation for the vast increase in mail and parcels. I do recall contributing many free hours of labor to deliver said increased volume.
We are paid for the amounts we received during count. Those are considered "average" for the year. ANY new WORK, like orders that were not required during your last count , like endorsement of the political mail, is payable.
The union can NOT start your grievance for you, D.B. These areas are not national, just some district manager enjoying his "power" that need to be grieved locally.

Casca

Nothing in the new Political/Election Mail Guidebook (that is supposed to standardize in every office how election mail is handled) about stopping at every box. Unless some managers are stretching the definition of collection points to include mailboxes when it says all collection points will be double checked to ensure no mail is left.

as to ads in ubbm, i throw them in the ubbm. Clerk pulls them out and she writes on them whatever she likes. It got mentioned we should do it, and I said when you figure out how to pay me for each piece I write on then I’ll do it. I’m still not doing it.

on a side note, 2 weeks ago I stopped at a box to put mail in, no flag up, 2 ballots in it to mail out.....

Itstillfun

Nothing in the new Political/Election Mail Guidebook (that is supposed to standardize in every office how election mail is handled) about stopping at every box. Unless some managers are stretching the definition of collection points to include mailboxes when it says all collection points will be double checked to ensure no mail is left.

as to ads in ubbm, i throw them in the ubbm. Clerk pulls them out and she writes on them whatever she likes. It got mentioned we should do it, and I said when you figure out how to pay me for each piece I write on then I’ll do it. I’m still not doing it.

on a side note, 2 weeks ago I stopped at a box to put mail in, no flag up, 2 ballots in it to mail out.....
Dunt dunt dunt dunnnnnn wow did they have stamps?? Crazy almost looks set up. Are you a squeaky wheel at your office too? Learnt the contract just to see it not followed by USPS and not enforced by the union wolves. In rural clothing.

sinister minister

We are paid for the amounts we received during count. Those are considered "average" for the year. ANY new WORK, like orders that were not required during your last count , like endorsement of the political mail, is payable.
The union can NOT start your grievance for you, D.B. These areas are not national, just some district manager enjoying his "power" that need to be grieved locally.
I agree with you. I would reinforce mail count manipulation being illuminated as to shortchanging our compensation. And, the non/malfeasance of our union to represent and communicate with us in any substantial way.

Old Fart

So extra compensation issue seems to vary by carrier. Some don't work every box every day so they're the ones who might grieve.

The carriers who do check every box during election time at least, have no complaint as they're putting something in every box anyway, so they're opening every box. Even if these carriers SOMETIMES don't open every box outside of election time now, the evaluation is an average, and when mail requires we insert in every box, they still have no grounds for grievance.

Do I have that right?

Casca

Dunt dunt dunt dunnnnnn wow did they have stamps?? Crazy almost looks set up. Are you a squeaky wheel at your office too? Learnt the contract just to see it not followed by USPS and not enforced by the union wolves. In rural clothing.
Yea they had stamps. These customers are sort of random as to when flag is up or not. Best I can figure, if they don’t want it stolen from the box, the flag is down. (bills, birthday cards, and now ballots lol)

too many yrs left

. I don’t see mgmt requiring peeps to stop at known Vacant boxes but I understand them requesting us to stop at all Actives.
I do stop at vacant boxes occasionally because I know subs that just drive along throwing mail in. I did that this week and found mail and a DC parcel in one and in another I found an absentee ballot destined for a box a couple of houses away. Not sure how long it had been sitting there but I was very grateful I found it and got it to its destination with plenty of time before the election.

Casca

I do stop at vacant boxes occasionally because I know subs that just drive along throwing mail in. I did that this week and found mail and a DC parcel in one and in another I found an absentee ballot destined for a box a couple of houses away. Not sure how long it had been sitting there but I was very grateful I found it and got it to its destination with plenty of time before the election.
Zip ties around the handle, duct tape, or priority mail tape to keep the lid closed should clue them in a little

Charlie Brown

While you're correct that the time allowance for each non L box is 2 minutes, that is for 6 days.

You receive 20 seconds to service each mail box per day. A little less on an L route.

Rt2mailman

So extra compensation issue seems to vary by carrier. Some don't work every box every day so they're the ones who might grieve.

The carriers who do check every box during election time at least, have no complaint as they're putting something in every box anyway, so they're opening every box. Even if these carriers SOMETIMES don't open every box outside of election time now, the evaluation is an average, and when mail requires we insert in every box, they still have no grounds for grievance.

Do I have that right?
No, sorry, you don't. Delivering mail and checking for outgoing mail are 2 different things. There are boxes that I deliver to that I never open completely UNLESS their flag is up. There is no need to open a large box all the way when you can open, place mail in, and shut in less than 2 seconds with one hand, as I do when delivering mail. Checking for outgoing requires stopping completely, opening, looking in/around around for those letters, then continuing on. I trust you don't look though any mail left in the boxes to see if there may be a ballet in there, but why not? You are paid to collect out-going mail, but not when the flag is NOT up.
Again, ANY new work, outside of count is payable to carriers.