Check all mailboxes for ballots?

gotstamps

No, sorry, you don't. Delivering mail and checking for outgoing mail are 2 different things. There are boxes that I deliver to that I never open completely UNLESS their flag is up. There is no need to open a large box all the way when you can open, place mail in, and shut in less than 2 seconds with one hand, as I do when delivering mail. Checking for outgoing requires stopping completely, opening, looking in/around around for those letters, then continuing on. I trust you don't look though any mail left in the boxes to see if there may be a ballet in there, but why not? You are paid to collect out-going mail, but not when the flag is NOT up.
Again, ANY new work, outside of count is payable to carriers.
So you can open a box, throw mail in, & shut the box without stopping completely? Even with using my BoxCommander Ring I cannot do that safely.
That sounds not only unsafe since this Would entail “fingering the mail” &/or holding it while driving (which is a big “no-no”), but you also won’t get paid in RRECS for that mailbox without coming to a stop.
Just a glance into a box would show nothing going out. Only an idiot would put outgoing mail in a box with yesterday’s mail. The only time I pull any delivered mail out is to make sure my sub put the correct mail in. Only takes about 2 seconds of that 18.7 to 20 seconds we’re paid for that box.
It rarely takes more than 20 seconds to stop & check so I don’t see the issue of doing so for a week or 2. JMHO

Rt2mailman

So you can open a box, throw mail in, & shut the box without stopping completely? Even with using my BoxCommander Ring I cannot do that safely.
That sounds not only unsafe since this Would entail “fingering the mail” &/or holding it while driving (which is a big “no-no”), but you also won’t get paid in RRECS for that mailbox without coming to a stop.
Just a glance into a box would show nothing going out. Only an idiot would put outgoing mail in a box with yesterday’s mail. The only time I pull any delivered mail out is to make sure my sub put the correct mail in. Only takes about 2 seconds of that 18.7 to 20 seconds we’re paid for that box.
It rarely takes more than 20 seconds to stop & check so I don’t see the issue of doing so for a week or 2. JMHO
I agree that fingering the mail is unsafe, I don't agree that holding the mail, and the steering wheel, is unsafe.
Is there anything in our contract about "only holding" the mail to be considered an unsafe action, or is it only "fingering" that is thought/mentioned as unsafe?

Old Fart

I agree that fingering the mail is unsafe, I don't agree that holding the mail, and the steering wheel, is unsafe.
Is there anything in our contract about "only holding" the mail to be considered an unsafe action, or is it only "fingering" that is thought/mentioned as unsafe?
Our offices have been told we MUST have both hands on the steering wheel at all times when the vehicle is moving, USPS policy. Upon carrier observations, we are cited if such practice isn't adhered to.

Old Fart

interesting. i would get cited every day.

i ride the hump. been driving one handed my whole career.
We
interesting. i would get cited every day.

i ride the hump. been driving one handed my whole career.
We all get cited!!! Even tough to do in an LLV. Lots going on. Stupid rule anyway.

We have one carrier who was a Marine Corps combat driver trainer. Said they proved one hand was as safe or better in many situations.

I'm guessing that management wants to be certain we don't drink our beer and drive at the same time?

Bleostic

Our offices have been told we MUST have both hands on the steering wheel at all times when the vehicle is moving, USPS policy. Upon carrier observations, we are cited if such practice isn't adhered to.
I never have any hand on the steering while driving my route. I use a drive stick one handedly from the passenger side so I guess I'm doing it all wrong..🤦

muttleycrue

Must come to complete stop. To use turn signals.

hahahaha.

Funny. but not funny.

Mine had a conference call about it a couple of days ago, its real and is out there maybe your PM just didn't get the memo. But it will probably be a no go once the NRLCA get wind of it. I know that in my office the method of handling ballots has changed at least 10 times, with the latest changing back to the original method!
That sounds about right. Change it three or more times, and then back to the original. What a waste of time!!