• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Check all mailboxes for ballots?

ruralgirl13

I was just scrolling through Facebook and saw a post on a postal site saying that they have been mandated to open every mailbox next Thursday,Friday, and Saturday to check for ballots, regardless if the flag is up or not. Every box. What do you think the punishment be if we refuse to sign agreeing to this? I wonder if it’s even true? Yeah it seems so stupid it probably is.

Because of campaign mailings, the only box I dont stop for now is a vacation hold. Most of my customers get something everyday even outside of election. The policy doesnt bother me.

OK. It doesn’t bother you. But what would you advise those that it does bother as compensation? It’s an additional task.

I’d say look at rrecs and the time for a one bundle stop. Something like 14 seconds a box and keep tabs.

I was just scrolling through Facebook and saw a post on a postal site saying that they have been mandated to open every mailbox next Thursday,Friday, and Saturday to check for ballots, regardless if the flag is up or not. Every box. What do you think the punishment be if we refuse to sign agreeing to this? I wonder if it’s even true? Yeah it seems so stupid it probably is.
Yes, carrier in neighboring office just told me she was advised to do this. Hmmm.... me.... not a chance in hell!!!!

Must not be following the little breadcrumbs. What happen to no mail no stop. Hurry hurry start late finish early go go go. Right to mismanage I forgot no rights for rural s just wrongs.

May just as soon as the leadership at NRLCA wake up from their Covid nap they will create a step four that will never be addressed!
I just get sick of the USPS saying, no more DPS for you, check every mail box, go out and wash the LLVs, etc., etc.... yada, yada, yada.... and all we hear from the NRLCA is crickets....

Btw... what's up with them collecting back up all the backpay that they took forever to pay way back when??? ? ?‍♂️?

Last edited:
I told this to my PM, he just laughed and said, "are you kidding me?" We have no such edict.
Mine had a conference call about it a couple of days ago, its real and is out there maybe your PM just didn't get the memo. But it will probably be a no go once the NRLCA get wind of it. I know that in my office the method of handling ballots has changed at least 10 times, with the latest changing back to the original method!

I just get sick of the USPS saying, no more DPS for you, check every mail box, go out and wash the LLVs, etc., etc.... yada, yada, yada.... and all we hear from the NRLCA is crickets....

Btw... what's up with them collecting back up all the backpay that they took forever to pay way back when??? ? ?‍♂️?
Machine misses the interest it was making. Imagine what would happen if rural leadership told usps to back pay us for the delay in implementing that thing they thought would finally compensate the Craft a little bit honestly. Machine knows a good deal. It's black and white then redacted.

I fail to see where this is an "extra" task. We are paid to service each box every day as part of our evaluation. As a non L route, I'm paid 2 minutes per box.
The pay you receive for each box is the "average" amount of time to deliver. In that average there are boxes that receive NO delivery on different days, therefore you are not paid to stop and "check" every box.
ANY order given by any manager must follow in the same work that was required of you during your last count. If you were not required to check every box then, you can grieve this NEW order requiring your base pay to be increased. Any political mail being now required to be written on or placed in different places than your last count is also payable. Regulars should be paid on form 8127, and Rca's on a green card, for ANY new work.

Back