• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Check out the new FEHB premiums

Frozen Toes et al -- "Check out the new FEHB premiums."

-- Your FEHB premiums go up 38% for 2020.

-- The first basic salary increase is 1.3% ( based upon a pay schedule which is 8+ months old )

-- The second basic salary increase is 1.1% ( based upon a pay schedule which will be 20+ months old )

-- Based upon where you are at on the pay schedule, will those two pay increases [ LOL ] cover the increase in FEHB premiums?

-- Apparently gone are the days of 1.80% and 1.50% salary increase enjoyed ( ? ) with the 2002-2004 and 2006 -2010 contracts!

Is that the insurance premiums? RCA here

too late to wake up - we had our chance and blew it

I voted no! There were many issues I didn't agree with! I'm a table 1 carrier and didn't agree with the table 2 changes, issues for RCA's to include having to assist other offices was wrong! Additionally changes to the RRECS study using MOU's should never have been allowed. What our representation during the negotiation accomplished was BS!

not seeing any blue cross/blue shield for my state - no increase?

Check out the FFS (Fee For Services) for Postal Employees - Page 1. BC/BS is there. I think you are looking at wrong page if states are listed.

It looks like the increases for BC/BS are between 0 and 5% increases, depending upon the plan and self vs self plus one or family.

I have GEHA HDHP self and it looks like mine increased about 1% but will be getting an additional $150 paid into my HSA. So I think I am going to net out at almost even with 2019 as far as my premium + HSA out-of-pocket contribution.

At first glance, it appears the Rural Carrier plans have some of the biggest increase. I think the self plan has an increase between 40 and 50%. Will have to wait to see if there were substantial improvements to the policy to justify that large increase.

@martian - are you looking at the total cost column?

I have Rural Carriers plan - mine is going up $29.82 (or 27.48 - always forget what postal category we are.)
You need to look at the columns which are labeled "Empl. Pays" and "Change in empl. payment". :)

I voted no! There were many issues I didn't agree with! I'm a table 1 carrier and didn't agree with the table 2 changes, issues for RCA's to include having to assist other offices was wrong! Additionally changes to the RRECS study using MOU's should never have been allowed. What our representation during the negotiation accomplished was BS!
I voted NO also -

@martian - are you looking at the total cost column?

I have Rural Carriers plan - mine is going up $29.82 (or 27.48 - always forget what postal category we are.)
You need to look at the columns which are labeled "Empl. Pays" and "Change in empl. payment". :)

I was looking at the self plan for a co-worker and the increase is 43.2% under the Rural Carrier plan. The increase is $35.86 from 2019's employee premium of $83.09.

I believe the increase for the self plus one is $50.80 from 2019's premium of $147.08, which is a 34.5% increase. 2020 premium is $197.88.
The family plan increase is $29.92 from 2019's premium of $150.02, which is just under a 20% increase. 2020 premium is $179.94.

I will not be surprised if there is an error in the rural carrier family plan premium. I did not see any other plan that had the family plan cheaper than the self plus one.

I am pretty sure we are under the higher premium category of USPS employees.

Back to the insurance issue... If you are a REG, young and solo and willing to take a risk why are you opting for health insurance? There is no MANDATE anymore. Health Insurance is a lifestyle choice. If you feel you need it opt in. If not opt out.

Forget health insurance. Put these premium costs into your 401K now with your decided toss to it, and take the insurance when you decide you want it. The contractual raises in that span should offset the premiums you are paying now when you want it. You can always lower your extra 401K toss to cover it when you want it as you move up the pay tables.

Last edited:
Back to the insurance issue... If you are a REG, young and solo and willing to take a risk why are you opting for health insurance? There is no MANDATE anymore. Health Insurance is a lifestyle choice. If you feel you need it opt in. If not opt out.

Forget health insurance. Put these premium costs into your 401K now with your decided toss to it, and take the insurance when you decide you want it. The contractual raises in that span should offset the premiums you are paying now when you want it. You can always lower your extra 401K toss to cover it when you want it as you move up the pay tables.
i would never advise anyone to forgo health insurance. lack of insurance is currently the no 1 cause of bankruptcy. maybe if your young and don't have anything to your name you can get by, but anyone working is a fool to risk everything they have, if you young and solo, there is no reason not to have insurance, and max out retirement every year. it's all about choice.

@martian - yes, we are 1. FEHB: Which postal category are you in? (I have to look it up every year.

Apologies I was looking at 2 different lines!

Looks like I'm going back to the family plan.

Or becoming a city carrier. (wonder if we can be on their plan? I used to be on the APWU.)

You could join APWU as an associate member for $35 per year and get on their plan in previous years. Same with the other two postal unions (membership fee may be different.) However, non-rural carriers cannot pay a membership fee to be an associate member to the NRLCA. That is why they ask "Are you a rural carrier?" when you use the OPM comparison tool.

Back