• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

clarification =)

Bucknadhand

I saw this the other day and was curious since we are talking about leave in another forum thing (federal soup).

30.2.M

In addition to the provisions of Article 16, the following
actions shall constitute just cause for removal of rural carrier
associates and rural carrier relief employees: repeated
unavailability for work, failure to maintain the regular schedule
within reasonable limits, delay of mail, and failure to perform
satisfactorily in the office.

Reason I'm asking as in prior conversations, I know we are not a on call craft as a rca, and we do not have to answer the phone when we are off, but i read this little thing. So can they get you on that, or what does that pertain to. It just drives me nuts that everyday off i get a phone call because they wont do anything about the regulars constantly calling in. It wouldn't be a super big deal but trying to balance home/child along with them expecting you to be in 7 days a week is nuts,

I am under the assumption that this only pertains to scheduled days? not being at home and anwsering the phone

Last edited:
Yea we have really bad retention. They hired 4 rcas and 3 already quit within a 1 month span. Either because they couldn't handle the work, regular bullied them etc.

Just was super concerned that they would try to use this little article to write me up or something on those lines.

I wonder what that little quote pertains to I’m guessing it’s a excerpt from the contract or manual I couldn’t find it

It's probably the contract article 30.2.M, but i don't have it in front of me.

This language hinges on schedule. Unscheduled leave, sick leave, acts of God shouldn't pertain. You got your probation time in, right?

And some day you may become a regular. Work 6 days a week for months on end with denied leave, you may find yourself calling in. And there may be an RCA complaining how you call in and trash talking you...maybe even the whole office trashing you for staying home with your sick 8 year old child. Don't ask me how I know?

Lol yea be three years in may just this last few months being down ten rcas there really gettin bad

lol but yea our office is pretty gossipy. I try to just have my music on, but the talk is always who is sleeping with who,everyone hates the person off etc etc. sometimes I think that the people call off all the time because of that

I saw this the other day and was curious since we are talking about leave in another forum thing (federal soup).

30.2.M

In addition to the provisions of Article 16, the following
actions shall constitute just cause for removal of rural carrier
associates and rural carrier relief employees: repeated
unavailability for work, failure to maintain the regular schedule
within reasonable limits, delay of mail, and failure to perform
satisfactorily in the office.

Reason I'm asking as in prior conversations, I know we are not a on call craft as a rca, and we do not have to answer the phone when we are off, but i read this little thing. So can they get you on that, or what does that pertain to. It just drives me nuts that everyday off i get a phone call because they wont do anything about the regulars constantly calling in. It wouldn't be a super big deal but trying to balance home/child along with them expecting you to be in 7 days a week is nuts,

I am under the assumption that this only pertains to scheduled days? not being at home and anwsering the phone
You are not on call but you do have to be available till a certain time in the am. ( available for work) You are a sub this is how it goes , your hired to cover when needed. if you need off then put in a slip in and get it approved, then you don't have to answer your phone. Not answering you phone in the morning will get you written up, if they call you later , this would be like being on call, you don't have to answer then, you could be anywhere. I never answered my phone after 8 am, went to my other job, you could not get written up for this. And remember a text is not the same as a call,

You are not on call but you do have to be available till a certain time in the am. ( available for work) You are a sub this is how it goes , your hired to cover when needed. if you need off then put in a slip in and get it approved, then you don't have to answer your phone. Not answering you phone in the morning will get you written up, if they call you later , this would be like being on call, you don't have to answer then, you could be anywhere. I never answered my phone after 8 am, went to my other job, you could not get written up for this. And remember a text is not the same as a call,

Actually, no Rural Craft is “on call” which also means that you do not have to be available until ____ time. If you answer & constantly tell mgmt that you can’t come in because of “whatever”, that might could hold water with repeated availability but not answering the phone doesn’t. Sometimes the calls don’t actually reach your phone... i.e. cell towers down, dead battery, bad reception, accidentally walked into a Faraday Cage, etc. Mgmt cannot prove you received a call unless you answer.

I don't believe they can use that for not answering the phone every damn day a regular calls in, because they wont call the slow rcas in
Okay this brings up a whole different problem. Every office is supposed to have a Matrix that shows every RCA's Primary route their secondary and tertiary route. Mgmt. must apply the Matrix when they have a regular call off. First the primary RCA and if already working on another route or unable to contact then they go the the secondary and finally the tertiary if the secondary is unavailable. Only if none of those three are available can Mgmt. call a different RCA in.

Does your office have a Matrix and does Mgmt. follow it?

They do have one, and no.... no they do not unfortunately. As bad as it may or may not sound its more about who the fastest is, they have a nasty habit of not calling other slower rcas, as our office instead of making people do their routes on their own, they send help constantly, because the closing manager person doesn't want to sit there.

You are not on call but you do have to be available till a certain time in the am. ( available for work)

I don't believe this to be true. If this isn't on call, what is?

Okay this brings up a whole different problem. Every office is supposed to have a Matrix that shows every RCA's Primary route their secondary and tertiary route. Mgmt. must apply the Matrix when they have a regular call off. First the primary RCA and if already working on another route or unable to contact then they go the the secondary and finally the tertiary if the secondary is unavailable. Only if none of those three are available can Mgmt. call a different RCA in.

Does your office have a Matrix and does Mgmt. follow it?
Most newer management doesn't even know how to pronounce matrix, much less know what one is or bother to follow it.

CCA has an on call type system, and they also have a career path with 24-30 months of continuous service for putting up with the 24/7 bs.

Even to this day, there's a burning hatred that boils in me when I hear a ringtone I had as an RCA. I want to smash that phone and silence it, cause it rang every day for years.

A better policy is to contact the steward who will represent you. They will either defend you or defend management.

And the wizards of smart in the NRLCA have allowed borrowing in from any distance, whatever it takes. So rest easy, and turn off your phone when you go to bed.

Well the only people that can make Mgmt. follow the rules and use the Matrix are the RCA's themselves.
They need to grieve every time Mgmt. does not use the Matrix.

Yep, that's what happened. Need to do it every time an OIC or I go to a new office to sub.

Newbies lack of training.

Back