• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

CLEVERMADE LOCKING PARCEL BOX

Surprise!

I was at costco today and saw the CLEVERMADE LOCKING PARCEL BOX for 39.97.

The advertisement stated that you can give the combination to your carriers.

More free work for us unlocking these things.

If you go through the steps they provide, to let the carrier know your combination, it is through delivery instructions, for informed delivery. Step 15, says the customer must do this for each parcel, as the po does not accept blanket delivery options. Any one that wastes 40 bucks on this, will be disappointed to find out the safes will be stolen as well.... and wont be used by carriers.

Nope.

No keys, no combos.
Had a customer tell me the old regular had no issue accepting the code to open the Gate and deliver down at his house (.1 miles).

I told him flat out, unlike him I don’t own a yacht and have a lawyer for an in law. If the gates shut, notice is left.

Then he had the nerve to call and complain, and I had the nerve to tell my OIC to put it in writing that I had to accept the code, but would have 0 liability in anything not covered by the tort claims act.

Long story short, I still don’t know what his house looks like. Bad memory, can’t keep track of the paper it’s wrote on. Guess I lost it. You’d be amazed at the number of calls I get.

It's always an ok rule when it puts more or ALL of the burden on the rural carrier to make it so much easier and convenient for everyone else. If your mailbox and porch is such an unsafe place for packages, how about GET A P.O. BOX and give the carrier a break! I don't think we have to deliver to more than 1 box per address, whether it be a mailbox or parcel box. I'm thinking about getting all my big parcel hounds a jumbo mailbox and zip tying it to their old tiny box to take some wear and tear off me and my vehicle!

Last edited:
Leave it opened and unlocked next to front door.
I'll put parcel in and close it.

I had a customer do that with a garage and a paddle lock.
My guess is that most of us have had at least one customer to something like that.
However, this is not what is being sold and in most cases not what the customer will be buying.
If we look at best case then we will probably not be prepared for worst or normal case situation.

I had a customer do that with a garage and a paddle lock.
My guess is that most of us have had at least one customer to something like that.
However, this is not what is being sold and in most cases not what the customer will be buying.
If we look at best case then we will probably not be prepared for worst or normal case situation.

I think this brings up the next step to the question. Will the new scanners be able to hold and use codes to open things? We have competitors that can do this.

Nothing more irritating than the high volume parcel customer with inadequate mailbox size; or at the very least a covered area for efficient, quick, relatively secure parcel drops. Bagging one hundred plus parcels on a rainy day is......%&**$** !
An idea or two. --- Parcel vendors offer a 'deal' on oversized curb boxes for high volume customers.
--- Remember the milk cubby when you visited Great Aunt Edna in the big city ? ( Yep! I am an 'old' farm boy !) How Magical !! A fresh quart right there in the kitchen when the inner door was opened ! ---- As the front door of most suburbia clients is NOT cleared of snow, nor generally utilized (as in NEVER !) in favor of the auto-cave (automobile) opening of dwellings -- such cubby's should be built into the auto cave facility of the dwelling. Much larger -of course- with the inner door locked by the customer.

Not really sure why this is considered “clever” since porch pirates can just pick up the clevermade lockbox with parcels inside and bust into it later. If it’s good enough to lock up, must be worth stealing
I'm wondering if this is meant to be bolted to something heavy/large?

I do have a customer with an ingenious lock box. Large regular mailbox atop a huge steel lock box. Bottom of mailbox has a springy trap door that will allow boxes and mail to fall thru to the locked compartment below.
You'd have to have arms like a basketball player to even think of trying to fish anything out of it, and would likely get scraped so bad you'd regret it. Plus, this particular guy would be Hell to deal with if he caught someone stealing from it.

I'm wondering if this is meant to be bolted to something heavy/large?
The details on that ad say that it comes with anchoring bolts so it can be permanently attached to whatever it sits on.
It comes in parts and must be assembled. And unless those parts are a lot more substantial than they look, it looks cheap and thin.

If the parcel needs to be locked up, they should have the shipper use Signature Confirmation and be home to sign for it, or go to the PO and sign for it. I have customers that have a small mailbox and get Amazon packages that would fit in a medium or large mailbox, but they've said they want me to bring it to the door. Well I have to bring it to the door, but I don't knock or ring the bell. I've had some call and complain, but our clerks tell them to get a big mailbox or have it sent with postage requiring a signature and we will knock or ring the bell for them to sign for it. That shuts them up, because they want the FREE shipping, so they get the FREE service that comes with it - package delivered, no extras.
Got stuck in the ice today had 3 cars and Amazon all pass by me since all I needed was a push. I would drop and knock as a courtesy since the neighborhood has been hit with mail theft. Took me ten minutes to get out of the ice. I guess that street doesn’t get that level of service anymore.

Looks to me like a heck of a lot of parcels I deliver would NOT fit in that cute little lock box. Then what? The big ole boxes sit OUTSIDE the lock box anyway, ready to be picked off by porch pirates!!

I hate such fake ads, BTW! Like Drew Brees has any worries about porch pirates!! Oh yeah, he's a great spokesperson!!

Back