COLA

Gotrope

Nalc site has them listed under cola section of website. Weird. I know, a website with info. They have them listed in chronological order.

Gotrope

All USPS contracts have the same cola calculation. The others are based upon 40 hour week. So if your evaluation is higher than 40 your cola will be slightly higher.

Wilco183

Nalc site has them listed under cola section of website. Weird. I know, a website with info. They have them listed in chronological order.
After reading the NALC chart, COLA is listed as a $ amount:
July 2018 - $645
Jan 2019 - $0 (zero)
July 2019 - TBD

So the $645 must be an average of sorts, with the exact amount depending on salary. We will get something like this amount plus the added time accrued retroactively in a lump payment after Contract finalized. Zip for Jan 2019.

The NALC chart notes that full (?) COLAs are to be added to Table 1 salaries. So we should see a salary increase of whatever percent their $645 represents during the 1st pay period after we receive the lump payment...?

FrozenToes

The $645 is for a 40K. It equals .31/hr.
To get additional amount for higher evaluations take (extra hours over 40 x 1.5 x 52 x .31)= additional increase.
ex. 45K : 5 x 1.5 x 52 x .31 = $121
121 + 645 = $ 766 for 45K

DB.Cooper

The $645 is for a 40K. It equals .31/hr.
To get additional amount for higher evaluations take (extra hours over 40 x 1.5 x 52 x .31)= additional increase.
ex. 45K : 5 x 1.5 x 52 x .31 = $121
121 + 645 = $ 766 for 45K
Since COLA is based upon a percentage %... shouldn't the 31 cents vary depending on what pay Step you are at??? :unsure:

I'm thinking a Table 1 Step 12er will get more than a Table 2 Step 1er... just sayin'... not to hurt the Table 2er's feelings or anything... 😥

Last edited:

FrozenToes

Since COLA is based upon a percentage %... shouldn't the 31 cents vary depending on what pay Step you are at??? :unsure:

I'm thinking a Table 1 Step 12er will get more than a Table 2 Step 1er... just sayin'... not to hurt the Table 2er's feelings or anything... 😥
No it doesn't. That why some people , on this site, have pointed out that the COLA is actually less for the higher step folks. Percentage wise.
It's actually better for the table 2 folks.
Formula is based on 40K . All get the same $ amount for the same evaluation regardless of step or table.
Formula is in the contract.

Last edited:

gerl2

I realize that there are varying plans of health care cost, but how much more on average will we be paying? That 1% more could wipe out any raises.

FrozenToes

I realize that there are varying plans of health care cost, but how much more on average will we be paying? That 1% more could wipe out any raises.
The raise for 2020 totals 1.8%. The healthcare for 2020 goes up 1%. All depends on what happens with the premiums.
There is of course other contractual raises ( 1.3 % and 1.1%) and possible COLAs ( 6 total).

Voglio-il mio

I don't use the Health Care with USPS as I'm a Retired Veteran with Tri-care as my provider. So I lucked out on that increase! My health care costs per year for two, is less than some pay in two months for one.

martian

I have $55 withheld from my paycheck for health insurance each pay period. Assuming USPS pays 74% of the premium, the total premium cost is $5,500. The 1% additional paid by me for next year would be $55 per year, or $2.11 per pay period. The additional 1% has minimal impact - it is the increases in the premium that drive the costs up.

Meanwhile, if my salary is $60,000 and I get a 1,3% increase, my salary increase is $780, or $30 per pay period. So I net a positive $27.89 per check.

Rcflyn

No offense intended, so please don’t take this wrong,
But, cola, means cost of living allowance, correct???
How does a table 1 step 12 person deserve more cost of living allowance than a table 2 step 1 person? Why should your cola be more than mine?
Are we not living in the same time frame of 2019?
You get a substantial bigger pay than I do, but I'm still living in the same year your living in. Your gas don’t cost you any more than mine does. Your grocery bill is approximately the same as mine is. Cola covers cost of living increases each time we get them. It’s not to widen the gap of our pay scales.
I understand, your bills are probably a lot more than mine are, but you incurred those bills based off what you are/were currently making. As I did/have. My cost of living isn’t any less than yours. Thus my cola shouldn’t be any less than yours.
I’m sure your bills don’t go up any more than mine each year.
If colas were to benefit each person in any given table, at any given step, that’d just widen our pay scale gap, and isn’t that what we’re trying to not have happen?????

DB.Cooper

Other than the USPS COLA formula... pretty much EVERY other Gov't COLA operates on a straight percentage... many got 3% at the beginning of 2019... so if you had a $1000 SS pension, you got a $30 dollar COLA... if you had a $2000 pension, you got $60 bucks... and that's just how it works...

Btw... all of the pay raises in our contracts work that way as well... 1.3% for a Table 1 peep making $60K will get $780 clams... while a Table 2 peep making $40K, will only get $520 bucks... so, instead of being behind by "only" $20K... you're now behind by MORE than $20K... so, again, this is just how the $#!+ works... like it, don't like it... whatever... just sayin'... it is, what it is... :oops:

Last edited:

Rcflyn

Ok. I guess that does make more sence than when I read what you originally wrote.
I still hold to my “your expenses going up each year aren’t any more than mine”,
But I suppose, I also agree that a cola on 60000 should be more than a cola on 40000.....

DB.Cooper

And, I understand your point as well... but, if we're gonna stick strictly to that... then why does a 46K route get more COLA than a 40K route???

I mean the fellow working the 46K is already hauling down 6 hours a week more at the OT rate than the 40K peep... so why do they need a bigger COLA??? Things that make you go hmmm????

Does the 46K peep have to pay more for gas or groceries, etc... than the 40K peep??? :unsure:

FXDL2003

It is a Cost of Living Adjustment. It has and always will be a percentage of your income. The concept is that is costs every person that percentage more that year to pay the same bills etc that they did the year before. Yes, people that make more will get more of an increase but that is how percentages work - basic math. Maybe those making higher salaries have higher bills, newer cars, houses etc.