• Please keep questions in the Questions forum to contract, procedures, and requests for documentation. Vehicle, TSP, retirement, etc questions please post in the regular forums. Thank you

Complete primary assignment first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rural Runner

RCA here. Non-aux runner. I have always been told that I am to complete my primary assignment BEFORE being utilized to assist or split other routes. Can someone please provide any documentation?

Solution
That is the issue that I ran into. All I could find was this...

"2. When necessary or desirable, a substitute, rural carrier associate, or rural carrier relief employee who is assigned to one route may be utilized on up to three routes. However, the employee’s prime responsibility is
to the assigned route.
"

Much like the rest of the contract, there is no explanation of what that last sentence actually means.
Although it is a bit vague, you can only work one route at a time. There is no way for mgmt to input a hour of another route work while “clocked in” on the assigned route. RRECS is also set up this way. You clock in on the assigned route & are on that route...

btdtret

Rural Runner -- "RCA here. Non-aux runner. I have always been told that I am to complete my primary assignment BEFORE being utilized to assist or split other routes. Can someone please provide any documentation?"

-- None that I can find. Of course, that does not mean such wording is not out there somewhere.

-- However, an Auxiliary Route RCA is afforded such "protection" in Article 30.2.G.5 -- in part:

- After completion of the assigned auxiliary route or the primary route assignment, a leave replacement assigned to serve the auxiliary route may be utilized on any other auxiliary route, or serve as a leave replacement or provide auxiliary assistance on any regular route.

-- None of the other RCA Designations has that wording.

-- Article 30.2.Q -- Additional Duties -- ( It does not specify when other duties / assignments could or should be performed, as in after completion of assigned route for an Auxiliary Route RCA. )

- Leave replacements may be required to perform duties in addition to the route assignment; .......

-- And then manglement can point to Article 3 - Management Rights. Which basically gives manglement carte blanche to get the job done.

Rural Runner

-- However, an Auxiliary Route RCA is afforded such "protection" in Article 30.2.G.5 -- in part:

- After completion of the assigned auxiliary route or the primary route assignment, a leave replacement assigned to serve the auxiliary route may be utilized on any other auxiliary route, or serve as a leave replacement or provide auxiliary assistance on any regular route.

-- None of the other RCA Designations has that wording.

"2. When necessary or desirable, a substitute, rural carrier associate, or rural carrier relief employee who is assigned to one route may be utilized on up to three routes. However, the employee’s prime responsibility is
to the assigned route.
"

Much like the rest of the contract, there is no explanation of what that last sentence actually means.

Twingrlie

to the assigned route.
"

This is referring to the matrix. Subs have a primary, secondary, and tertiary route that they are entitled to. The primary takes precedence over all others.

Rural Runner

This is referring to the matrix. Subs have a primary, secondary, and tertiary route that they are entitled to. The primary takes precedence over all others.
So, if I am assigned to one of my matrix routes (as I was today), and am told to case a second route before leaving for the street, is my matrix route taking precedence?

Last edited:

PastOThirty

In practical terms, take care of business, schools, and churches. Then residential, preferably out of town over in town so you are not n the dark in the boonies or along some highway. If it is an option, get the mail delivered then worry about parcels because finding driveways and porch’s is easier than mailboxes or clusters in the dark.

Of course, it is all subject to management discretion. But that’s how work should be prioritized in my opinion when there is clearly too much.

Twingrlie

So, if I am assigned to one of my matrix routes (as I was today), and am told to case a second route before leaving for the street, is my matrix route taking precedence?
If you’re assigned to your primary, they can’t move you from your primary to work another route unless the regular was called in to work it. Casing another route or taking a split is still an option management can use.

PastOThirty

If you’re assigned to your primary, they can’t move you from your primary to work another route unless the regular was called in to work it. Casing another route or taking a split is still an option management can use.
They only have the guarantee of hours of the primary on the given relief day, not the route itself... just the evaluation.

Twingrlie

They only have the guarantee of hours of the primary on the given relief day, not the route itself... just the evaluation.
I don't agree. The Order of Consideration states the leave replacement must be scheduled on their primary assignment if available. If Route 1 is their primary, they cannot schedule a different sub to run that route if the primary sub is available to run it. This includes removing that sub on Route 1 to do Route 2 and then splitting route 1 because maybe route 1 is easier to split.

PastOThirty

I don't agree. The Order of Consideration states the leave replacement must be scheduled on their primary assignment if available. If Route 1 is their primary, they cannot schedule a different sub to run that route if the primary sub is available to run it. This includes removing that sub on Route 1 to do Route 2 and then splitting route 1 because maybe route 1 is easier to split.
And what is the financial harm by working them elsewhere besides the primary?

The only grievance is the guaranteed day and dough.

Twingrlie

Because the sub has been formally trained on their primary route. The regular won't have to come in to rolled mail or parcels. Keep in mind I'm talking about when the regular for the route is gone. I don't even know why management would move a sub off their primary when they're going to be the best replacement for that route. They'll finish faster (ideally) and be allowed to go help other subs if needed. I've won grievances for this very reason when management moved a sub off their primary to run a harder route and decided to split the easier route (subs primary).

Voglio-il mio

What you are saying is true and back when I was an RCA due to over all training mix of all RCAs available I was required to forfeit my primary, (get paid the higher evaluation for it) but hand it off to the secondary RCA for that route. I covered a route blind because I was the one that could handle it the most efficient!

gotstamps

to the assigned route.
"

Although it is a bit vague, you can only work one route at a time. There is no way for mgmt to input a hour of another route work while “clocked in” on the assigned route. RRECS is also set up this way. You clock in on the assigned route & are on that route until you clock out from it for the day. Assisting another route can be done prior to or after the assigned route.
I.E. If case a route between casing The assigned & leaving for route, what start & end time do you put on the green card? If you put that “hour” as if you worked after, then you’ve falsified your timesheet & the green card not to mention that the Scanner has you still delivering during the time you say you are helping elsewhere. Falsifying could come back to bite you at a later date.

Solution

Itstillfun

Although it is a bit vague, you can only work one route at a time. There is no way for mgmt to input a hour of another route work while “clocked in” on the assigned route. RRECS is also set up this way. You clock in on the assigned route & are on that route until you clock out from it for the day. Assisting another route can be done prior to or after the assigned route.
I.E. If case a route between casing The assigned & leaving for route, what start & end time do you put on the green card? If you put that “hour” as if you worked after, then you’ve falsified your timesheet & the green card not to mention that the Scanner has you still delivering during the time you say you are helping elsewhere. Falsifying could come back to bite you at a later date.
Does all the goobleygoop affect the "bump"? When shuffling and reshuffled numbers punched into systems. Effecting the Craft negatively.

gotstamps

Does all the goobleygoop affect the "bump"? When shuffling and reshuffled numbers punched into systems. Effecting the Craft negatively.
Don’t know about now but I am interested as to how “splits” will effect a route’s eval for RRECS.
I’ve seen a route be split on a Saturday & when you add all the subs times that were “helping”, many add up to 12-17 hrs for that route that day. Funny that mgmt still thinks that it’s cheaper than calling a Regular on the RDWL 🤦🏼‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.