• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Different Rules, Different Day = Same Crap

wamailmom

I can't believe the office I used to work for....

When I started as an RCA, in January 2017, there was another RCA that had been there a few months (much less than a year), who had been fired for getting into an accident, where she backed into someone's brand new car while servicing her route from an LLV. The weather had been bad at the time, with slippery roads. The big red flag, was that she did not report the accident. The PO found out when the customer called an complained, having video proof (from a doorbell cam, I suppose). He'd had the car parked in that spot for about 30 minutes when it happened, and had just gotten the car a week prior. A few weeks later, this RCA got her job back, claiming that a language barrier kept her from reporting the accident. (This person does speak English pretty well.)

Fast forward to when I quit (due to being overworked to the tune of 60-70 hours a week for months on end) in February of this year. This same RCA got into another accident. She hit a mailbox, causing damage to the LLV. Again, she did not report it. The regular carrier found the damage the next day and reported it. So accident-prone RCA (who at this point is now number one on the seniority list) is fired again. And I found out today, that she is getting her job back, again. "Because of a technicality" according to the postmaster. Of course everyone knows the post master never filed the paperwork.

Which I find fascinating, because he filed my paperwork when I turned in my letter of resignation that I was off the books within 3 days, such that my insurance was canceled even though I was still paying premiums for it.

And I was a hard worker who never go in an accident.

Gotta love that place...

Yup we have 2 people who have quit but PM keeps them on the books in case they change their mind. One of them returned after 4 months, an older guy who didnt like the other job he got.
The other RCA is most senior RCA (over me), got another full time job, put in his 2 week notice, hasn't worked in 3 months but PM is saving his spot.

Yup we have 2 people who have quit but PM keeps them on the books in case they change their mind. One of them returned after 4 months, an older guy who didnt like the other job he got.
The other RCA is most senior RCA (over me), got another full time job, put in his 2 week notice, hasn't worked in 3 months but PM is saving his spot.
As soon as a Primary position on a route is vacated by an RCA quitting or moving up, mgmt is to allow the RCAs to bid by Seniority & the residuals. A “fired RCA” should be handled to same way but if grieved & won, they’ll get their primary back. If no takers, the primary position goes to the “register” for new RCA placement when one is hired.

I can't believe the office I used to work for....

When I started as an RCA, in January 2017, there was another RCA that had been there a few months (much less than a year), who had been fired for getting into an accident, where she backed into someone's brand new car while servicing her route from an LLV. The weather had been bad at the time, with slippery roads. The big red flag, was that she did not report the accident. The PO found out when the customer called an complained, having video proof (from a doorbell cam, I suppose). He'd had the car parked in that spot for about 30 minutes when it happened, and had just gotten the car a week prior. A few weeks later, this RCA got her job back, claiming that a language barrier kept her from reporting the accident. (This person does speak English pretty well.)

Fast forward to when I quit (due to being overworked to the tune of 60-70 hours a week for months on end) in February of this year. This same RCA got into another accident. She hit a mailbox, causing damage to the LLV. Again, she did not report it. The regular carrier found the damage the next day and reported it. So accident-prone RCA (who at this point is now number one on the seniority list) is fired again. And I found out today, that she is getting her job back, again. "Because of a technicality" according to the postmaster. Of course everyone knows the post master never filed the paperwork.

Which I find fascinating, because he filed my paperwork when I turned in my letter of resignation that I was off the books within 3 days, such that my insurance was canceled even though I was still paying premiums for it.

And I was a hard worker who never go in an accident.

Gotta love that place...

When an RCA quits, mgmt simply has to submit the resignation as proof to get them “off the rolls”. When an RCA is fired, mgmt must answer to District as to why they were fired & can be compelled to offer the RCA their job back if District doesn’t agree with the firing. Mgmt also must wait for the possibility of a Grievance being filed.

My first PM was caught when I filed a grievance for not getting any relief on my overburdened 48k pre DPS route.
I went regular and was awarded that route.
I asked for a sub. Nothing.
Put in the 120 day letter. Nothing.
Grieved not having sub, every k day worked and all denied leave. Nothing.
I asked for a route cut. Nothing.

PM finally started negotiating with union to settle all my grievances. Ah-ha!
That's when we learned he wasn't cutting the form 50 for fired or resigning subs, so district didn't know how short-staffed we were. He finally made an offer I didn't refuse...One day of administrative leave for each day of relief I hadn't gotten. (Everyone in my office got the same thing.)
I really enjoyed the year of 4 day weeks, while being paid for 5 days. (I held off on the route cut until the year was up!?)
I loved that steward!!!

My first PM was caught when I filed a grievance for not getting any relief on my overburdened 48k pre DPS route.
I went regular and was awarded that route.
I asked for a sub. Nothing.
Put in the 120 day letter. Nothing.
Grieved not having sub, every k day worked and all denied leave. Nothing.
I asked for a route cut. Nothing.

That's when we learned he wasn't cutting the form 50 for fired or resigning subs, so district didn't know how short-staffed we were. He finally made an offer I didn't refuse...One day of administrative leave for each day of relief I hadn't gotten. (Everyone in my office got the same thing.)
I really enjoyed the year of 4 day weeks, while being paid for 5 days. (I held off on the route cut until the year was up!?)
I loved that steward!!!
is it 10% of the bonus for non career retention now? cemetary by me has old subs still getting mail from the post office!! ':)

That's when we learned he wasn't cutting the form 50 for fired or resigning subs, so district didn't know how short-staffed we were.

This is a huge problem: the failure of local management to communicate with district HR on staffing. If the district doesn't know you don't have any RCAs, they won't set the wheels in motion to hire. Local management again and again fails to do their job, such as leaving long gone RCAs active in the system, so that it appears the office is fully staffed (or nearly so).

And, on top of which, they're stupid. I got into a "discussion" with a new PM over how many RCAs he needed in his office. "The contract says every route blah blah blah" while he insisted DIstrict HR would only let him hire one RCA! "I don't care what you say, they're telling me I can only hire one." He's denying leave, paying OT out the nose, and telling me District HR will only let him hire one. Turns out, there are weekly conference calls between PMs and HR and during those calls, the HR rep would ask about staffing and the PM told that person he needed one RCA. He was too dumb to know he could ask for more--in truth, he probably did not know how many he needed!--and also too dumb to realize when he said, "I need one RCA" they took him at his word.

You would think somewhere along the food chain at the USPS someone would notice, "Gee, this office is paying a boatload of overtime to regular rural carriers every week. What's up with that?" But they don't. There is no accountability except for scanning. It's absolutely freaking nuts. An office can bleed thousands of dollars each week in OT, yet if the office misses one Parcel Select scan . . . As a result, local management focuses on scans, and not on staffing.

Dollars to donuts says the PM in @RDruckus 's post didn't even know how to remove an employee from the system. They're stupid and they're poorly trained and they cost the USPS millions each year in grievances like this.

Last edited:
So, do I get dollars or donuts? :sneaky:
He did it on purpose. He wasn't paying me OT, he was working me into the ground.
He didn't want to hire, he didn't care what he put us through, until he was afraid district would find out.

Back