• Please keep questions in the Questions forum to contract, procedures, and requests for documentation. Vehicle, TSP, retirement, etc questions please post in the regular forums. Thank you
  • Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Dps review

Status
Not open for further replies.

IshayaFoundation

Fire last year took many houses. Forwards all expired so now left with tons of letters to go through at days end. I requested a dps review to make up for all extra time spent working these letters. Does anyone know where to find a checklist or instructions on how to complete a dps review. Management and myself don't have a clue on how to do one.

Fire last year took many houses. Forwards all expired so now left with tons of letters to go through at days end. I requested a dps review to make up for all extra time spent working these letters. Does anyone know where to find a checklist or instructions on how to complete a dps review. Management and myself don't have a clue on how to do one.
Mail pulled from your DPS for Forwarding or UTF does not count in a Quality Review. Only Missort & Missequence count.
For Quantity Review, i’s about the amount of DPS “pull” (usually found rubberbanded) vs your DPS received. It goes on the percentage of raw mail vs DPS.

Any letters in your DPS that can’t go into the box on the route or into the case (if you case it) is counted as DPS letters (in the end of the run report) and counted as part of the 3-m mail pulled out of DPS, as raw mail. 3-m mail is mis-sent, mis- sequenced, and mis-sorted.
I don’t know what Gotstamps is talking about with: “For Quantity Review, i’s about the amount of DPS “pull” (usually found rubberbanded) vs your DPS received. It goes on the percentage of raw mail vs DPS.”
It is much more than just your rubber banded mail in your raw.
The quantity review (the only one worth doing) compares your last count % of DPS to ALL of your raw letters, to the current %.
If this comparison is ANY lower in %, your last count #’s are changed to reflect sector segment mail instead of DPS mail, therefore raising up your hours of evaluation by that amount.
Letters that get counted as raw letters come from many places. Some are pulled from DPS, some are in your letter case, where you withdraw mail, some are in with your flats, and some are even in with your parcels. ALL OF THESE are counted as raw mail NOT just your rubber banded mail that was kicked out of your DPS for whatever reason.
The problem you are having can be somewhat corrected if your plant uses a current scheme from your updated edit book, but since no one cares but you, that rarely happens.

Any letters in your DPS that can’t go into the box on the route or into the case (if you case it) is counted as DPS letters (in the end of the run report) and counted as part of the 3-m mail pulled out of DPS, as raw mail. 3-m mail is mis-sent, mis- sequenced, and mis-sorted.
I don’t know what Gotstamps is talking about with: “For Quantity Review, i’s about the amount of DPS “pull” (usually found rubberbanded) vs your DPS received. It goes on the percentage of raw mail vs DPS.”
It is much more than just your rubber banded mail in your raw.
The quantity review (the only one worth doing) compares your last count % of DPS to ALL of your raw letters, to the current %.
If this comparison is ANY lower in %, your last count #’s are changed to reflect sector segment mail instead of DPS mail, therefore raising up your hours of evaluation by that amount.
Letters that get counted as raw letters come from many places. Some are pulled from DPS, some are in your letter case, where you withdraw mail, some are in with your flats, and some are even in with your parcels. ALL OF THESE are counted as raw mail NOT just your rubber banded mail that was kicked out of your DPS for whatever reason.
The problem you are having can be somewhat corrected if your plant uses a current scheme from your updated edit book, but since no one cares but you, that rarely happens.
Missent doesn’t count. It says so in the link above. It ONLY lists Missort & Missequence for a quality review. Raw doesn’t count in a quality.
Quantity counts DPS, Sector Segment (mail that cannot be processed by machine), & residual. I guess the definition of “residual“ would be up for discussion. 🤔

Last edited:
DPS reviews are just like counts, as stated on #5 instructions for the quantity review procedures. Please look there Gotstamps, ALL LETTERS ARE COUNTED.
You have to be able to verify what your manager has counted to be able to immediately dispute any perceived discrepancies. Because of that, your manager must “tell you” when your DPS review starts.
You should be able to give to him any “pulled out of DPS” mail, and if he just started it without you, that can’t happen.
He has 30 days to complete the entire review. That would be 2 weeks, if they fail, they will say they fixed the problem, then you must ask for another quantity review to complete the failure and get the hours added to your evaluation.

Missent doesn’t count. It says so in the link above. It ONLY lists Missort & Missequence for a quality review. Raw doesn’t count in a quality.
Quantity counts DPS, Sector Segment (mail that cannot be processed by machine), & residual. I guess the definition of “residual“ would be up for discussion. 🤔
It always bothered me that missents don't count.
Lots of times the plant likes to pump up their work hours and will bust open bundles of mailings (flats and letters) and manually “sort” carrier routed items. Some of those items are “letters”, like the Sam’s club and the Viking cruises. Technically letters, even if they do not run them on automation. Make sure you inlude all non machined letters.
Our plant is forever mucking up our mail this way.
It feels good to make them count these letters.

170 missent pieces in my DPS yesterday and I am doing a DPS review. Trust me not only has my statement been notified but National is very aware of this. The specifications to which a DPS review is done needs to be changed. How can an accurate reading of the quantity of DPS be accurate when you have that many pieces that don’t even belong in your office. Needless to say I started out my DPS review with a 60%

“ The specifications to which a DPS review is done needs to be changed.”
What specifications need to be changed?
Where is this management idea of mis-sent pieces not to be counted in a DPS quantity review coming from?
Quantity defined in itself means ALL of the pieces, but wait there’s more, the definition of this type of review specifies it is to be conducted exactly as a count. HOW ELSE COULD IT BE COMPARED TO YOUR LAST COUNT????
Please look at the QUANTITY section of YOUR #2 post above. In #5 it spells out the review must be conducted as applicable count procedures dictate.
At your last count were your mis-sent letters not counted, because that would have been wrong. Grieve any pulled out of DPS (anything that does not go into the case or box) that is not counted as raw mail.
I copied the section you need to look at concerning QUANTITY REVIEWS for you below.
By the way if you already have a 60% day, they most likely can not recover from that low %.

Attachments

• 69BC2EFC-36D3-41BD-A3DF-77F4ED66225A.jpeg
    69BC2EFC-36D3-41BD-A3DF-77F4ED66225A.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
“ The specifications to which a DPS review is done needs to be changed.”
What specifications need to be changed?
Where is this management idea of mis-sent pieces not to be counted in a DPS quantity review coming from?
Quantity defined in itself means ALL of the pieces, but wait there’s more, the definition of this type of review specifies it is to be conducted exactly as a count. HOW ELSE COULD IT BE COMPARED TO YOUR LAST COUNT????
Please look at the QUANTITY section of YOUR #2 post above. In #5 it spells out the review must be conducted as applicable count procedures dictate.
At your last count were your mis-sent letters not counted, because that would have been wrong. Grieve any pulled out of DPS (anything that does not go into the case or box) that is not counted as raw mail.
I copied the section you need to look at concerning QUANTITY REVIEWS for you below.
By the way if you already have a 60% day, they most likely can not recover from that low %.
Sorry but the following items are NOT considered errors in a formal DPS quantity or quality review
1. Missent
2. Undeliverable as addressed
3. FWD
4. Accountable pieces in DPS
5. P.O. Box mail
This is taken directly from the Bloch arbitration settlement and the criteria in which to preform a review. It sucks to say the least

Attachments

• CDBB793B-B32F-4D8D-B5F9-C02AA2F207C1.jpeg
    CDBB793B-B32F-4D8D-B5F9-C02AA2F207C1.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 8
Sorry but the following items are NOT considered errors in a formal DPS quantity or quality review
1. Missent
2. Undeliverable as addressed
3. FWD
4. Accountable pieces in DPS
5. P.O. Box mail
This is taken directly from the Bloch arbitration settlement and the criteria in which to preform a review. It sucks to say the least
That's quality. The 98% threshold. Not quantity. Count % vs current %.

Please read and print off the directions for a
Quantity review, quality reviews are worthless, as I’ve stated above.
Think about it, how can you compare #’s to your last count if you aren’t counting the same thing? ANYTHING in your DPS trays that FOR WHATEVER REASON you can’t place in your case or your boxes is counted as raw. Don’t let them JACK YOU AROUND. File a grievance now, just to find out, and to have an accurate review. Keep the # of letters in dispute on record (4240) so after your grievance is resolved you can have accurate information.

Please read and print off the directions for a
Quantity review, quality reviews are worthless, as I’ve stated above.
Think about it, how can you compare #’s to your last count if you aren’t counting the same thing? ANYTHING in your DPS trays that FOR WHATEVER REASON you can’t place in your case or your boxes is counted as raw. Don’t let them JACK YOU AROUND. File a grievance now, just to find out, and to have an accurate review. Keep the # of letters in dispute on record (4240) so after your grievance is resolved you can have accurate information.
Thanks so much…. And yes I have a form, normally used during mail count, that I am keeping records. I’m going to read the Bloch award again to find something to back me on this. Initially it didn’t make sense to me that mis-sent, etc would not be counted as raw. I’m a fighter. ADR already notified!

Attachments

• B1E3FF9C-B311-4D71-83D3-D3B18BD4F481.jpeg
    B1E3FF9C-B311-4D71-83D3-D3B18BD4F481.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 4
As Rt2mailman said, dump the quality . Quality has the 98% threshold. Waste of time. Seems to also be confusing the participants. Both #9 and #10 in your attachment are referring to a Quality review.
Rt2mailman attached the directions for each type of review. He even pointed out the line ( #5) for the instructions.
Good job standing up, keeping track and contacting ADR.
Sometimes we have to train management. 🤷‍♂️
I have attached the Mail Count Guide's instructions for DPS.
Read it. Doesn't matter if you case or not.
Read Rt2mailman's post about where you will find raw letters. (everywhere)
Here are the instructions for the review. Although your PM could've printed them as well.

Attachments

• NRLCA-Mail-Count-Guide-revised-09-2020.pdf
    974.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DPSReviews.pdf
    14 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Well, grievance filed this morning because management does not want to follow the directives given for a formal DPS review under the quantity. The big kicker is they’re getting all their information from guess where? Our union🤬🤬🤬

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back