• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

End of the RCA as we know it

Low pay and in many places you have to provide a vehicle, the 2 main reasons people cannot be hired. In addition, how long is the process to be actually hired, a month ? Perhaps relative new hires on here can chime in on how long the hiring process takes??
I'm not sure of time frame except it is now measured in month(s)...more than one....thinking has to be 60 days...the hiring process alone scares many away.

They raised the minimum wage in my state to $15 an hour. It isn't at $15 yet but going up something like $1 a year until it gets to $15.

Even without it going into effect yet the local Walmart is starting at $12 an hour. And if you stay on a few months it increases to $13. You even get holiday pay, a bonus for working Sundays or loading unloading trucks, working in the deli etc.

And get this you have a set schedule so you know what days you are off each week.

Low pay and in many places you have to provide a vehicle, the 2 main reasons people cannot be hired. In addition, how long is the process to be actually hired, a month ? Perhaps relative new hires on here can chime in on how long the hiring process takes??
[/QUOTE]
Took my sister 2 weeks from application to orientation. She just started orientation/training last week. They are a revolving door in my area. They are doing RCA academy classes dang near weekly. No new routes so where are these new RCAs going? In and right back out the door when they see what we really have to deal with.

I can understand the $17/hr. + change for starting pay and health insurance. The problem is that with consecutive years of service there are no increases in wage or benefits for an RCA; and even worse is that there is no pragmatic solution to convert RCA's to career Rural Carriers. Going career in your home office only is bull-crap. I'm fine with a seniority system but for god's sake allow RCA's to bid out of their home office. That will add an incentive to put in for the long haul. Promotion should be a system of empowering those dedicated employees, rather than a system of luck and timing.

They raised the minimum wage in my state to $15 an hour. It isn't at $15 yet but going up something like $1 a year until it gets to $15.

Even without it going into effect yet the local Walmart is starting at $12 an hour. And if you stay on a few months it increases to $13. You even get holiday pay, a bonus for working Sundays or loading unloading trucks, working in the deli etc.

And get this you have a set schedule so you know what days you are off each week.

I've always admired Wal-Mart and its structure. One thing I can't help but notice is how HARD their managers work, they manage while they are setting up displays, moving pallets of product out to the shelves, always being productive and available.

I helped out in a big metro office today - new young sup was sitting at the computer when I arrived, after I cased and left, and when I returned. Literally must have just sat there all day long - doing what?! They even had another RuRal route sitting uncased, who knows if it even got delivered.

Ahh, a mess. The Post Office is in arrogant denial that pay isn't the deciding factor for one to work overly hard and put up with employer BS at the same time.
Several months ago some of us (regs and old PM) were discussing the lack of subs and the dim prospects of any new hires coming in, despite repeated postings of job openings, job fairs, etc. Old PM said "I really feel for you guys. I just don't know what else to do!!" I responded with "How many people are going to be interested in this job if you have to supply your own vehicle, you get no benefits, work 7 days a week and on and on. The job has to be more appealing to bring in anyone, something you don't have the power to do!" Unfortunately, nothing has changed and so our futures look even bleaker!! Now the pay isn't even very impressive. People can find comparative paying jobs with a lot less...um...hell to go with it!!

As a 6 year rca in a small POV office with limited hours... and probably 10 years till regular... I personally would be ok with continuing on at this wage if they’d just start giving us strings like ptfs. Not only that...expand them to j routes..

It’s either completely overworked or else it’s a famine for us.... having a schedule of hours that consists of more than a guaranteed one day a week would be be nice.

I just wanna point out... I just got approved by ethics board to work for a company that operates the HCR route in my office..., my total hourly compensation is MORE than what I get as an rca. Sure I was hired as a relief carrier for the guy who normally runs the HCR .... but... this really says something here...

I just wanna point out... I just got approved by ethics board to work for a company that operates the HCR route in my office..., my total hourly compensation is MORE than what I get as an rca. Sure I was hired as a relief carrier for the guy who normally runs the HCR .... but... this really says something here...

I wonder if this would be enough to prove in arbitration private industry compensation of a rural carrier sub.

In our area, ups trucks now have helpers to ride along. (Very weird this time of year) regular driver told us the helpers start at $21/hr with teamster bennies. Regular said they are having trouble filling the position. No workers! Arbitrator take note!

Hmmm. Some offices don't even have them yet. Many, actually.

What is happening with the satchels? Last official position I am aware of is carrying the satchel is recommended but could not be required. Mine never left it's nest under my case. No pay no play,

They gave them to us, said it was an order by district.
I timed the use for two weeks, submitted numbers with a written, round dated request for a base hour change.
Abrasive PM was livid, said I was being petty and threatened me with unfair count come Sept. (Yes, I documented it. I'd better not even smell any retaliation.)

They paid me 8127 time, and discontinued the requirement.

(I switched satchels with a city peep, so now I have an ancient unused satchel collecting dust under my case.l)
The only ones using satchels in our office wear blue uniforms.

RDRuckus -- "They gave them to us, said it was an order by district. I timed the use for two weeks, submitted numbers with a written, round dated request for a base hour change. Abrasive PM was livid, said I was being petty and threatened me with unfair count come Sept. (Yes, I documented it. I'd better not even smell any retaliation.) "

-- Sounds as if you and the PM need to mosey over to the office bulletin board to review the USPS policies on "Bullying", "Harassment", "Threats" - especially to one's pay.

-- Or better yet have your Assisant District Representative accompany the PM.

-- Is the PM sure of a Count this September? Any reference he would care to share?

RDRuckus -- "They gave them to us, said it was an order by district. I timed the use for two weeks, submitted numbers with a written, round dated request for a base hour change. Abrasive PM was livid, said I was being petty and threatened me with unfair count come Sept. (Yes, I documented it. I'd better not even smell any retaliation.) "

-- Sounds as if you and the PM need to mosey over to the office bulletin board to review the USPS policies on "Bullying", "Harassment", "Threats" - especially to one's pay.

-- Or better yet have your Assisant District Representative accompany the PM.

-- Is the PM sure of a Count this September? Any reference he would care to share?

No, all I know is what was said to me as I was being rudely, unfairly castigated.
PM mentioned when Amazon disappears in August, then we get counted in September, I'm not "gonna" like it.
(Well, d@^^^^, what makes you think I like it right now?)

I'm much better at holding my tongue when provoked than is Abrasive PM.
No official heads up on any of this. I suppose I could bait the PM to see if they spill any more beans.
This one is quite a tyrant. They warn new hires about it before they make it to our office.

Back