Episode 2 Ratified Contract

Rural Deviation

Second Episode is out now. I’m discussing the Ratified Contract.

YouTube

Spotify

Soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/ruraldeviation%2Fepisode-2-ratified-audio
It’s now available on Google Podcast. Just search Rural Deviation to find it.

Let me know what y’all think. It’s a bit longer than I thought it would be. But I do my best to walk through the changes and slide my thoughts in as well.

Enjoy!

Windindaface

Don't get upset. I understand along with many elders about this offer which was approved by a surprising total of lack of NO votes along with low turn out.

Keep up the good work. But almost an hour of time is long. Go to the KISS method. Keep it short, simple. Most will not endure an hour view to educate themselves on our issues unless they are a tick on a hound dog.

Go for 3-8 min spin comments.

Rural Deviation

Don't get upset. I understand along with many elders about this offer which was approved by a surprising total of lack of NO votes along with low turn out.

Keep up the good work. But almost an hour of time is long. Go to the KISS method. Keep it short, simple. Most will not endure an hour view to educate themselves on our issues unless they are a tick on a hound dog.

Go for 3-8 min spin comments.
Thank you for the positive feedback. After doing it I realized this one went a bit longer than I would have liked, but in order to give the best effort of talking about the contract it took that time to work through.

I will definitely keep that in mind for future episodes.

PastOThirty

I listened. I was a bit skeptical, but I liked it. Please be careful with the personal asides as an insider, even though I nodded in agreement along the way. You shouldn't have to, but someone of consequence may be offended and try to make an example of you for being "critical" of their activities and efforts.

I think it is a great service to the craft, the service at large, and the general, interested public. Thank you.

Rural Deviation

I listened. I was a bit skeptical, but I liked it. Please be careful with the personal asides as an insider, even though I nodded in agreement along the way. You shouldn't have to, but someone of consequence may be offended and try to make an example of you for being "critical" of their activities and efforts.

I think it is a great service to the craft, the service at large, and the general, interested public. Thank you.
Thank you for the kind words. I know you have been critical of the actions of this union. But that said I want to show you and everyday carriers there is reason to be a part of this fight.

I understand this doesn’t happen overnight it’s why I’ve done what I’ve done in the past years of being involved in this union.

I understand I don’t have the years of experience on the national level being as this is my first year here.

But I’m bound and determined to show carriers on the local level your voice still matters.

Whether that open and honesty leads to my downfall I don’t care.

Change occurs over time.

In my first night here I’ve had so many real conversations that I’m convinced our union need you and everyone else reading this to step up and be a part of this conversation.

Not just for your and my future in this craft but for the future of our craft 50 years from now.

If we don’t step up now and start the change now, then it will only make the task of defending our craft that much harder in the future.

I don’t know what this week has in store for me, but carrying the status quo is not one of them with the struggle y’all deal with on a daily basis.

I’m tired and angry, but somebody should be. The status quo of trying to show local carriers the need for them to get involve is not good enough.

Guys and Girls, we need to realize and step up to the fact if we as a craft can educate just 25% more of the everyday carrier of their rights as carriers. The impact it would have on management and the fact they would have no idea how to handle it.

It’s all good to be critical of the national level, but if we as local carriers never step up to change the system then we can’t cry when the system does us wrong because we failed to stand up in solidarity as a craft.

Forgot all the non sense you have taken in. My name is Josh Brandon and I’m here to tell you with each and every one of your voices that are reading this we can work to build a strong union the way unions were meant to be.

But it only happens if you as a local carrier chooses to step up and be involved.

I’m here to be there for any carrier that feels isolated. I’m here to show you I was successful on the local level and you can be too.

Forget hiding behind screen names. I’m done with worrying if my message will get me removed as a local steward.

This craft deserves better. I’m here to show y’all we can build a stronger foundation than anyone has seen in a union ever.

It only takes you choosing to take the steps to learn.

JFK said it best ..... We do this not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

Nothing in life that is easy will ever be worth the fight. I’m here to say I’m here to fight for you on the local level in whatever place I’m in, in this craft.

Thank y’all for the kind words and support. It has across all the platforms I’ve posted this shown me the need for your voices to be heard on a national level and treated as such.

Give me the opportunity to show you this union is worth fighting for before you as a carrier give up hope.

Last edited:

Rural Deviation

I can’t say it enough thank y’all for supporting me in this journey I’m taking. As I sit here at 1 am thinking about the future of our craft. Sitting here on the steps adjacent to where the national delegates will walk for the first time to the convention floor tomorrow.

My mind is weighed by all the concerns I’ve seen here and the ones I’ve personal talked to carriers about. I’m not here for me. That’s pointless. I’m here to show there is a future for y’all and the next generation of carriers to be able to take this career path and raise your families on a above average wage.

I just sit here in amazement that so far from home with such determination to show the local level you are more important than anything the national level will ever be able to accomplish.

Without y’all on the local level standing up for one another, the agreements agreed upon on the national level mean nothing.

We have to become a union that will stand up for one another on the local level.

Only by building the local level will the national level ever reflect our values on the local level.

Last edited:

FrozenToes

Appreciate the video. Liked the addition of PowerPoint.
COLAs- the COLA is paid the second pay period after the release of the index. Most of the time this is the second week of the following month. Not the actual month of the index. July 2019's index should be released today. So the second pay period from today.
COLAs- My interpretation. Using the July 2018 COLA of $229.
All Table 1 steps will receive the same COLA for the evaluation. $229 for a 40K. As each step increases in base salary, the percentage raise of the COLA becomes less. Step A = .49% ( 229/46505) Step 12 = .39% (229/58975)
Table 2 would be a little more if the same amount was applied to all steps. Step 1 = .56% (229/40734) Step 15= .39% ( 229/58975)
So what they are doing is proportional. So All Table 2 steps will get the lowest %. Which is .39%. Another screwing of Table 2 folks.
So the proportion would be 40734( Step 1)/58975( Step 15)= .69 . Take .69 x 229 ( COLA) = 158 COLA for Step 1. 158/40734=.39% . The same % as the top Steps which have the lower percentage.
Or just take the % of the raise at Step 15 x the base of whatever step.

Last edited:

Skierstmoritz

Appreciate the video. Liked the addition of PowerPoint.
COLAs- the COLA is paid the second pay period after the release of the index. Most of the time this is the second week of the following month. Not the actual month of the index. July 2019's index should be released today. So the second pay period from today.
COLAs- My interpretation. Using the July 2018 COLA of $229.
All Table 1 steps will receive the same COLA for the evaluation. $229 for a 40K. As each step increases in base salary, the percentage raise of the COLA becomes less. Step A = .49% ( 229/46505) Step 12 = .39% (229/58975)
Table 2 would be a little more if the same amount was applied to all steps. Step 1 = .56% (229/40734) Step 15= .39% ( 229/58975)
So what they are doing is proportional. So All Table 2 steps will get the lowest % .39. Another screwing of Table 2 folks.
So the proportion would be 40734( Step 1)/58975( Step 15)= .69 . Take .69 x 229 ( COLA) = 158 COLA for Step 1. 158/40734=.39% . The same as the top Steps which have the lower percentage.
Or just take the % of the raise at Step 15 x the base of whatever step.
Just another example of us table 2 peeps living the dream! Not!

RDruckus

About 9 of our RCAs asked me about the contract provisions for their insurance when I told them the special 30 day open season starts the last Monday of this month.

I sent them to your content and told them the insurance is addressed about 30 minutes in.

They wanted me to thank you! Thank you!😎

Rural Deviation

I need to add a correction to this episode. In this episode I state table 2 has 12 steps and the Ratified contract adds 3 steps.

That is incorrect. Table 2 had 13 steps and the new contract added 2 steps.

I feel like I might have been living in a bearstein alternate world moment. I’ve know about table ever since it came out in 2012 and always thought it was the same steps.

At the same time my premise of adding steps and time is correct. The last two steps add 104 total weeks to the ability for a step 2 carrier to max out.
Roughly 26 months or a little over two years.

I still feel like there was a better option that could have been negotiated based off other unions contracts to benefit Table 2 Carriers in a more positive way.

Last edited: