• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Extension or no extension, that is the problem

Tiredmailady

Good morning. I have an extension on my route that I have now served for around 9 months. This gentleman, which is quite into his eighties, put up a box at his new home which adds about 1/2 mile to the route. I told my supervisor immediately and she kept putting off going out to look at the placement,etc. Meanwhile, my sub started serving this box, so I did too. I brought it up again the other day, and she informed me that our District does not allow any extensions, that his box needs to be beside the last box on this road. I am beyond boiling point! I have found that five other routes are serving extensions and not getting paid either. I also have a hardship that she refuses to pay mileage on. Was wondering if any other district is refusing extensions or is this yet another tall tale? Thanks everyone!!!!

Good morning. I have an extension on my route that I have now served for around 9 months. This gentleman, which is quite into his eighties, put up a box at his new home which adds about 1/2 mile to the route. I told my supervisor immediately and she kept putting off going out to look at the placement,etc. Meanwhile, my sub started serving this box, so I did too. I brought it up again the other day, and she informed me that our District does not allow any extensions, that his box needs to be beside the last box on this road. I am beyond boiling point! I have found that five other routes are serving extensions and not getting paid either. I also have a hardship that she refuses to pay mileage on. Was wondering if any other district is refusing extensions or is this yet another tall tale? Thanks everyone!!!!
If they are not approved, and you are not paid for them, STOP delivering to them. If something goes wrong it will be your fault. Haven’t they already proved it by the way they lie, cheat, and steal?

Put the ball in the court of the recipient and the stupidvisor.

Have your manager write a letter to the customer explaining that they must move their box by (a date) or then a stop in delivery will take effect. Make sure your manager’s phone # is listed on the letter. All problems that arise are now your managers fault not yours. When you see the customer on your route, make sure to explain how congressional inquiries into Usps problems make the pms do what ever the congressman asks. He just has to call his congressman.

Have your manager write a letter to the customer explaining that they must move their box by (a date) or then a stop in delivery will take effect. Make sure your manager’s phone # is listed on the letter. All problems that arise are now your managers fault not yours. When you see the customer on your route, make sure to explain how congressional inquiries into Usps problems make the pms do what ever the congressman asks. He just has to call his congressman.
I mostly agree. Only thing I would change is that you stop delivering until specifically authorized.

If they are not approved, and you are not paid for them, STOP delivering to them. If something goes wrong it will be your fault. Haven’t they already proved it by the way they lie, cheat, and steal?

Put the ball in the court of the recipient and the stupidvisor.
Guess you are right. Just hate the innocent patrons out there being punished for their stupidity. Service went out the window years ago.

Tiredmailady -- [ route extension - or not ]

-- If manglement has not approved you serving the elderly gentleman, you could be in serious trouble if involved with in an accident - as in being off your line of travel, per the 4003.

-- Hardship deliveries are covered in the POM's Sections 2.1.2. and 2.2.2. as well as 631.42. Chapter 4 of the M-38 and the DOM's Section 508.2.2.2. The PO-603 barely mentions it in Section 313.1.

-- If you have access to the NRLCA website, search for Step 4 ( H-11 -- aka the Fritsch letter )

-- Have any of the "hardship" customers submitted Form 4027 ( Petition for Change in Rural Delivery )?

-- Or possibly the new Form 1528 ( Request for Exception to Current / Proposed Mode Due to Physical Hardship? )

-- District seems to have taken over approval of hardship cases, so if the extension is disapproved, might want to tell those customers to contact their congressional representatives. Manglement just hates having congressmen / women sticking their nose in. Or contact the local media -- something else manglement dislikes.

-- Manglement also dislikes Assistant District Representatives showing up, so might as well contact your ADR. You are probably already on manglement's #%*& list, so what is one more incident?

-- Try to keep "service" meaningful.

Thanks

-- If manglement has not approved you serving the elderly gentleman, you could be in serious trouble if involved with in an accident - as in being off your line of travel, per the 4003.

-- Hardship deliveries are covered in the POM's Sections 2.1.2. and 2.2.2. as well as 631.42. Chapter 4 of the M-38 and the DOM's Section 508.2.2.2. The PO-603 barely mentions it in Section 313.1.

-- If you have access to the NRLCA website, search for Step 4 ( H-11 -- aka the Fritsch letter )

-- Have any of the "hardship" customers submitted Form 4027 ( Petition for Change in Rural Delivery )?

-- Or possibly the new Form 1528 ( Request for Exception to Current / Proposed Mode Due to Physical Hardship? )

-- District seems to have taken over approval of hardship cases, so if the extension is disapproved, might want to tell those customers to contact their congressional representatives. Manglement just hates having congressmen / women sticking their nose in. Or contact the local media -- something else manglement dislikes.

-- Manglement also dislikes Assistant District Representatives showing up, so might as well contact your ADR. You are probably already on manglement's #%*& list, so what is one more incident?

Thanks so much for the references. I am sorry that I have asked for so much help lately, but this office must of been built over the mouth of Hell! I am the only one that will stand up and sound off. Maybe God had put me there for a purpose

@Tiredmailady the form you need is psform 4027. It's on the NRLCA website under their forms page or you can probably Google it.

The guidelines for it are in the M38 ch4 sections 4XX "roads". In this chapter, the word "must" is used often. Must not provide service until 4027 is approved. If 4027 is not approved, you must not provide service beyond the box. That's why 4027 is crucial and why management doesn't want them on file.

So we can contact the media? Didn't know that. This hardship happened when the regular was out on sick leave, then he retired, so the sub holding down the route said that he got this taken care of for this patron. Of course, there is no paper trail of any of this. This patron just moved her box and the sub started serving it. Just is a mess. Thanks for the form and reference numbers. I will need to go through all this process again to get it straightened out

@Tiredmailady the form you need is psform 4027. It's on the NRLCA website under their forms page or you can probably Google it.

The guidelines for it are in the M38 ch4 sections 4XX "roads". In this chapter, the word "must" is used often. Must not provide service until 4027 is approved. If 4027 is not approved, you must not provide service beyond the box. That's why 4027 is crucial and why management doesn't want them on file.

Back