• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Feb count

There was some info put out about a "test" involving the "time study" routes... about 4,000 or so routes...

So, I'm assuming maybe nothing will happen to all of the other routes, until after they get done with this test...

Geezy Louisy... they drug the "time study" on forever... WAY past the May 2015 scheduled implementation date... and now it still needs further testing... peeps will retire before it's ever implemented... just ask CanGoNow / HaveNowGone... :love:

Last edited:
The “test” never went away. The info collected has been used on various new programs that have been implemented. This revisit is going to be I MDD driven. Required scans, some new scans.

(Left iron fist slams hard on the table) (SLAMMMM!) (Table's legs cracked) Hehe There will be (singing) "..NOOOOOOO....NOOOOOOO.....NOOOOOOOOOOO mail count!" If our contract remains in dispute and if the majority of the routes got reduced from low mail count, then how do we all expect to ratify a future new contract especially if PO management got the upper hand or took advantage of it? Just my opinion only. Notice I said "IF." If....if.....only if. --Your MailBoy

Route inspections are to be done yearly;
M-38 Section 510, it says routes will be inspected at least once a year
PO 603 522 Purpose
The purpose of the inspection is to obtain current and accurate data, including (but not limited to) route and delivery conditions; number and types of boxes served; minimum stops necessary to serve all boxes on the route; location, time, and frequency of authorized dismounts; and dismount distances. Route layout is reviewed by management to identify necessary route travel changes to improve efficiency and economy of service. In addition, the postmaster examines hazardous conditions and takes appropriate action to correct them.

If the PO were smart... yeah, I know.... :ROFLMAO:

Anyways, if they were smart, then why not wait until later this year to see if'n we're gonna count in September, or in conjunction with some sort of RRECS route mapping goat-rope and/or fustercluck... :rolleyes:

I've heard talk of the next round of driving evaluations being done but nothing about route evaluations. My understanding is nothing was in the old contract for a count.

Somebody help me with my memory here... didn't Jeanie make some sort of statement before the last contract like... words to the effect... we'll put this 2018 count in there, just in case RRECS isn't implemented by then.... probably won't need it, but just in case...

They've been kicking this can down the road for so long... I'm surprised there's even any can left to kick... :rolleyes:

I think the wording for yearly counts changed when we went from assured SEPT counts to the Spring counts. The wording became Special counts in Sept for 3 weeks either a National or just routes with the 2hr bump up or down.

This entire RRECS implementation is like spotting a White Rhino in the wild. If you think this test of the 4200 routes will reveal any new info or quicker implementation you are fooling yourself. Do you honestly believe neither side have crunched the numbers by now to see where we will end up?

I think the wording for yearly counts changed when we went from assured SEPT counts to the Spring counts. The wording became Special counts in Sept for 3 weeks either a National or just routes with the 2hr bump up or down.

This entire RRECS implementation is like spotting a White Rhino in the wild. If you think this test of the 4200 routes will reveal any new info or quicker implementation you are fooling yourself. Do you honestly believe neither side have crunched the numbers by now to see where we will end up?
I believe the post office has thoroughly crunched the numbers, but I'm skeptical that our union has done the same

Last edited:
Windindaface et al -- "I think the wording for yearly counts changed when we went from assured SEPT counts to the Spring counts."

-- The Wells' award changed "regular" counts from September to the FEB-MAR time frame.

-- Counts: 2002 = 12 days / 2003 = 24 days / 2004 = 18 days

-- Between 2005 and 2010, counts alternated between 24 and 12 days.

-- During the time of extensions, 2011 = 12 days, FEB-MAR 2012 = 18 days, SEP 2012 = 12 days

-- The Clarke award ( 2010-2015 ) incorporated the NRCLA recommendation for the FEB-MAR count time frame and alternating 12- and 18-day counts. As a bonus, a count was scheduled for 2016, even though the contract would expire!

-- The voted-in 2015-2018 contract some how omitted a 2017 count! ( which would have been an 18-day count (imaging that! ))

-- And it certainly does not look good for a 2019 count. ( you guessed it - another 18-day count that ( probably ) won't happen - anyone see a pattern developing? )

-- Special Counts have, per the contract's Article 9.2.C.11, been the last 12 working days in September as a result of ONE of the following conditions:

1 - when circumstances have negated the validity of the latest count and evaluation ( wink, wink )
2 - whenever a 120-minute or more salary adjustment is made on a route whether due to a SUBSTANTIAL SERVICE CHANGE ( wink, wink ), or a route adjustment AND the density of the route has increased or decreased ( regarding 12 boxes per mile ).

-- Back in the 1995-1999 contract, Special Counts could be conducted for 6 reasons.

-- Some interesting wording has gotten changed / lost since then: ...and shall be taken at the initiative of the Employer OR in response to a justifiable request FROM THE CARRIER on the affected route. ( wonder what the NRLCA got for giving up that -- you know the mantra: have to give up something to get something )

-- And the USPS has reserved the right to conduct a national count of mail for all rural routes during the last 12 days in September of any year.
( With 30 days notice to the union ) ( current contract's Article 9.2.C.a.(3)) It has been that way since the 1995-1999 contract ( and probably before that -- anyone?? )

As a bonus:

-- MOU #1 also seems to be neglected / ignored too: It is the understanding of the parties that a national mail count MAY BE initiated where rural delivery has been IMPACTED on a NATIONAL level. Examples of such change would be a reduction in delivery days, a SUBSTANTIAL CHANGE IN MAIL VOLUME, etc. ( either the avalanche of Amazon parcels did not happen nation wide, or parcels are not considered "mail".

-- Another problem with MOU #1 -- it doesn't specify WHO could INITIATE a national mail count.

Has anybody heard ANYTHING about the subject of this thread???

Do you think we'll be doing route inspections anytime soon, even if no count???

Inquiring minds wanna know... :whistle:

Our PM/Super will be doing route inspections within the next few weeks.

Inspect all you want. Like driver observations it's part of their job when they have time to get out from behind their desk(s) from daily conference calls, answering the phone, reading daily blast of Machine Emails or fighting grievances. Be happy they made this time availabe to spend quality time with you.

I have been hearing a lot of rumors about a count but I think it's just a load of hot air. I am in a test office though and the serious rumor is that starting February 2nd or 9th (I cant remember) they are using the scanners to perform a live test of the implemented study. Management has been riding our asses about making sure our line of travels are correct and our box counts are proper.

Maybe I'm being optimistic and naive but I have some faith in the union this negotiation. The reason being is that the union knows it's not really in favor with the members atm. People are angry and frustrated with the last contract especially after the results of the last arbitration agreement. I think because of this, it is putting a lot of pressure for the union to actually do good for the members for this contract. Last I heard and I'm sure most of you know they are basically at an impasse now and are going to arbitration. Hopefully they will stand their ground this round because they dont want to piss the members off for a second time. If they fail the union is going to loose out bigtime through the members.

I have been hearing a lot of rumors about a count but I think it's just a load of hot air. I am in a test office though and the serious rumor is that starting February 2nd or 9th (I cant remember) they are using the scanners to perform a live test of the implemented study. Management has been riding our asses about making sure our line of travels are correct and our box counts are proper.

Maybe I'm being optimistic and naive but I have some faith in the union this negotiation. The reason being is that the union knows it's not really in favor with the members atm. People are angry and frustrated with the last contract especially after the results of the last arbitration agreement. I think because of this, it is putting a lot of pressure for the union to actually do good for the members for this contract. Last I heard and I'm sure most of you know they are basically at an impasse now and are going to arbitration. Hopefully they will stand their ground this round because they dont want to piss the members off for a second time. If they fail the union is going to loose out bigtime through the members.

No, there is not an actual count. There is a “test run” of the RRECS system on approximately 4200 routes that were previously in the Study. The PO wants to see the outcome of the new system prior to mapping the rest of the country.
This test will NOT change the evaluations for the routes involved. I do hope that these routes will take it seriously, though.
Good luck to your office.
As to the negotiations, it’s hard to say where we will end up. The National Board has had the biggest change of players that I’ve seen. It doesn’t seem that they are the pushovers that obviously the PO thought they’d be when you look at the BS that they are demanding we give up. I do hope that if we go to Arbitration, we will get the same contentions that the other Unions did in their most recent contracts. Fair is fair & the PO is not playing fair.

From a personal standpoint, if the union fails us in this contract, I will definitely bail from the union and will seriously consider dumping the job. I'm a tier 2 regular who has trouble getting a day off. They have to do something for the non existent rcas. I live in a resort area. Starbucks pays their servers $18/hr and chic-fil-a starts @ $16.

If you added up all the stuff the other unions ALREADY HAVE, that we don't, and gave us that... that'd be a HUGE win for us... should we start the list... PSE's get holiday pay... NALC Pay equal at top step... 3% COLA from last year... etc., etc... :oops:

Guin -- "Hopefully they will stand their ground this round because they don't want to piss the members off for a second time. "

-- Only for the "second time?"

"If they fail the union is going to loose out big time through the members."

-- Some how the NRLCA seems to avoid that exodus of members, no matter how badly they don't come through in supporting the membership. Granted, this time could the different.

"People are angry and frustrated with the last contract especially after the results of the last arbitration agreement."

-- Apparently you missed out on the 2002 Wells arbitration "award".

-- Or being labeled as "egocentric" by a national board member after voting down the recommend "excellent" 2006-2010 contract.

gotstamps -- " The PO wants to see the outcome of the new system prior to mapping the rest of the country. "

-- Nothing like being able to take RRECS for a "test drive" to see if the USPS likes the results!

"This test will NOT change the evaluations for the routes involved. "

-- That probably will not set well if carriers find out their route continues to be way under evaluated and are giving even more "free" work hours to the USPS.

"As to the negotiations, it’s hard to say where we will end up. The National Board has had the biggest change of players that I’ve seen. It doesn’t seem that they are the pushovers that obviously the PO thought they’d be when you look at the BS that they are demanding we give up."

-- Some of the reported USPS "demands" are really out there.

"I do hope that if we go to Arbitration, we will get the same contentions that the other Unions did in their most recent contracts."

-- For that to happen, it will take a sympathetic arbitrator, one like the NALC or APWU manages to find.

-- Although I'd fear whom ever the arbitrator might be, if he/she looks at past NRLCA arbitration results, especially the fiasco that has been on-going since the Clarke award, the results won't be good for the NRLCA and its membership.

" Fair is fair & the PO is not playing fair. "

-- Nor is the USPS paying fair.

-- Unless it is on the scale of: poor / fair / good / better / excellent / outstanding / stellar

Parity would be a lot closer. The whole situation with POV and length of time to get benefits/make career being opaque needs vast improvement to be competitive when the schedule is so terrible.

As far as I can tell, RCA path to a career position is the worst in the entire USPS... and then add to that benefits for RCA's is also the worst among all of the other craft non-career positions (PSEs, CCAs, etc...)... and it says basically that the RCA position is lower than whale $#!+ on the ocean floor... jmho... :whistle:

You know, all this talk of the Union top brass bowing under or contract going to negotiations......
I would at least have respect for the top brass if they did not give in and forced things to arbitration...whether we won or lost at arbitration, at least they would have done their job and try to take care of us poor peons.
But if they just agree to any silly crap and dury us under, then even I, as a die hard union fan will be thinking of the day I signed into the Union...(March 10th by the way), and having paperwork all ready to get out.
I just want someone who is getting paid pretty damn good, to actually care about me, one of the schmucks stuck on Table 2.

Back