• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Forced to Work holiday?

Bulk182

I'm a regular on a K route with Monday as my K day. Saturday Feb 16th will be my holiday for Presidents day. I'm being forced to work my holiday. Can they do that? If so, am I given a day off later?

And if not on the RDWL, you only get paid for the day and then your off and paid for the holiday off on Monday.
No soup for you!

I'm a regular on a K route with Monday as my K day. Saturday Feb 16th will be my holiday for Presidents day. I'm being forced to work my holiday. Can they do that? If so, am I given a day off later?
Grieve it you will be given an admin day at a later date. Manglement won't tell you this so grieve it.

And if not on the RDWL, you only get paid for the day and then your off and paid for the holiday off on Monday.
No soup for you!

RDWL is not for Holiday work use. That is for Relief Days only. The Holiday moves, not the Relief Day so there is no choices to be made.
Mgmt can work a Carrier on their Holiday (V) if they so choose. If that carrier has approved Leave for a day in conjunction with that Holiday, the carrier will be skipped unless they notify of availability in writing.

Working the Holiday is an extra day of pay. If that Holiday is Christmas, then 150% pay. No extra time off is given.

There is no grievance unless Leave is granted in conjunction with the Holiday. Contract states that Mgmt may work a Carrier on their Holiday prior to using a Relief Day Carrier.

1. When a holiday falls on the relief day of an evaluated car- rier, the carrier shall be granted the preceding work day as the designated holiday. When the primary leave replace- ment is unavailable on the carrier’s designated holiday and other leave replacements are unavailable in accordance with Article 30.2.D., the regular carrier may be scheduled to work on the designated holiday. For the purpose of this section, a leave replacement is considered unavailable when he or she is assigned to work on any regular or aux- iliary route. A regular rural carrier required to work on a designated holiday shall receive the daily rate of pay for such day in addition to holiday leave pay to which the employee is entitled.

Last edited:
How about when they force regular carriers in on their n/s day to cover annual leave so other carriers can have the day off instead of denying their leave request can you please post the article # that gives management the right to force regulars in to cover AL.They are denying leave in our office and I want to grieve but I don't Know the article # to back up my grievance.

Question.....if you Put in for a sick day on the Tuesday after the holiday for a medical appointment and your k day is Monday the holiday, can they force you to work the Saturday, your holiday? Put in meaning I submitted my leave slip, it was signed by my supervisor as received 1/19, not signed approved but is FMLA dr. Appt. Thanks

Last edited:
I think I know your frustration. I would always have regulars on the OT list at the last moment put in for AL and I'd lose my 3 day weekend every time. A big let down finding out at 5pm Friday, that your 3 day was toast.

How about when they force regular carriers in on their n/s day to cover annual leave so other carriers can have the day off instead of denying their leave request can you please post the article # that gives management the right to force regulars in to cover AL.They are denying leave in our office and I want to grieve but I don't Know the article # to back up my grievance.

The O-6 Order of Consideration is a guideline for mgmt to use in scheduling and covering routes. Art. 8.5.A has the instructions on using Regular Carriers on their Relief Day due to the unavailability of a sub. Art. 30.2.D speaks to covering a route by Matrix prior to using the RDWL. If mgmt denies a leave request, you can throw these in your defense but may still need to file that grievance. Sometimes it takes a Steward to show them the way.

Question.....if you Put in for a sick day on the Tuesday after the holiday for a medical appointment and your k day is Monday the holiday, can they force you to work the Saturday, your holiday? Put in meaning I submitted my leave slip, it was signed by my supervisor as received 1/19, not signed approved. Thanks

Article 8.5.A.
3. A regular rural carrier will not be required to work if the carrier has at least one day of annual leave (including an approved X day) or sick leave adjacent to the relief day.

I know it says Relief Day but it can be grieved that it’s “protected” also.

Indeed, to be skipped in the 0-6 order, you must take earned leave. Lwop does not qualify as that is given at the installation heads discretion.

In the same boat for entire tenure as a REG with Monday being my selection for years by my choice as a J and K. Why burn AL/SL for stuff one can do on a Monday.

Management might try to ease your discomfort by pontificating you should be happy. After all you are earning double time next Saturday. There will be no mention of day off loss.

On another tangent here because your office lacks coverage like mine.... Found out recently if RCA needs are posted and people have applied, there needs to be at least 3 applicants applying for any rural route job before the interviews can take place. My APO/RMPO needs 5 RCAS only 2 have applied.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the process for granting annual leave.Just a little concerned because was forced in many .many times as a junior carrier ADR said yes management can do this.I plan a nice vacation once a year and have no intention of cancelling if management doesn't force regulars in and denies my vacation I just wish I would have grieved back then of scheduling conflict that way I would have a paper trail that its managements decision that they can force regulars in.Just hope with disparate treatement grievance I have my job when I get back.

Can management force me to work my holiday, k day Monday so holiday Saturday, if my primary is available to me or can they take my primary and utilize elsewhere and force me in?

Second question, I have a FMLA dr appt scheduled for the day after the holiday, Tuesday, using a sick day.
I’ve notified managelment via 3971 and have also called into the 800 number. Someone mentioned if you have a approved leave adjacent to your relief day you would be skipped..... My FMLA is approved and not pending.
Does this mean they HAVE to skip me?

One more thing..if I am not skipped, forced in on a code V, someone mentioned I would be granted a admin day at a later date....do I get that date secured prior to working the holiday via 3971?

Thanks peeps ?

Great Question!! It does not make sense that any regular carrier that is not on the RDWL, no matter the seniority, should be mandated to work their NS day so that another carrier can be granted AL. Where can this be in contract?

Great Question!! It does not make sense that any regular carrier that is not on the RDWL, no matter the seniority, should be mandated to work their NS day so that another carrier can be granted AL. Where can this be in contract?
So you’re ok with being denied al, just so somebody can have their NS day? Your ok with planning a week or 2 long trip, and get denied because your case neighbor has 2 days off in that 2 week Period your planning a nice vacation? I’m sorry, but I’ll gladly work my NS days so another carrier can have a nice vacation! (As I know my carriers in my office would do for me)

ROFLMAO!
just realized, this is a 2019 thread……

Good day. Thanks for the response. It seems that I responded with the rules and not also the whole picture of working with others. May I expand here?

We all want our AL approved and for good reasons. And, like all organizations there are rules that allow and support us to work together. Our office also has carriers (including me, but not everyone) that will give up their NS day so that another carrier may have leave. The point that I am making is that we agree to do so. Notice I said "mandated by management" to work my NS day.

NS days are important to people for family reasons and taking care of life's business. I make plans for my NS days. I can often rearrange the plans and will if needed.

Look forward to more good conversations

Back