forced to work in another office during the week, not sunday or amazon.

hacksaaw

I was always told, and trained that I could refuse to work outside of my assigned office, during regular mail delivery days as an RCA. We all know the Amazon screwing is different thanks to the national union and its MOU on Sunday and Holidays. My acting PM is getting pressured to send me out, I have other work I do and my main delivery rig is in the shop getting a new leaf spring so don't have it available to delivery from as well. But from what I can see in the office I am only responsible to jump and say

You were told wrong. As of late 2017 (I think that's the time frame) the NRLCA lost a grievance on this and it's the USPS position that they can have RCA's work other offices. The USPS position is also that the only way to change this is when negotiating a new contract. I don't know if the NRLCA has tried to appeal this or is trying to take it to arbitration, they're probably too busy working on next years party. (convention)

Voglio-il mio

If I were an RCA working this gig as a supplemental job with no benefits or guarantees and the only responsibility I agreed to when accepting employment was to supply coverage for my primary route during the regular carriers absence, I would tell them to go pound sand if requested to work in another office. I'm sorry, I'm not on call or being paid to be on call and the location of the Post Office that is my primary work station is the only one I work at unless I initiate assisting elsewhere!

eunomios

You were told wrong. As of late 2017 (I think that's the time frame) the NRLCA lost a grievance on this and it's the USPS position that they can have RCA's work other offices. The USPS position is also that the only way to change this is when negotiating a new contract. I don't know if the NRLCA has tried to appeal this or is trying to take it to arbitration, they're probably too busy working on next years party. (convention)
They can ask and schedule willing RCAs, but that is it. At least in Central PA districts.

I'm curious if the grievance was for RCAs being abused or for Regulars who didn't want their subs scheduled at other offices (my educated guess would be the second).

Note that calling a leave replacement in the morning to help another office is very different then scheduling them in advance (sometimes regularly). All the subs in my office are Happy to get a defined schedule even if it is across numerous offices.

So far I have turned down numerous offers to get scheduled at other offices and don't know a single RCA in my area who is/was FORCED to work at another office. I even respond to morning texts / voicemails saying I can't work and no one goes after me. HOWEVER, the first time I was ever scheduled at another office the Regular threw a fit and called in sick. I lost a lot of potential income because that office found another RCA to help them for a few weeks.

Last edited:

hacksaaw

Well I am going to follow up a bit more with the Union rep, but its looking like the USPS believes it can screw us, probably yet another reason why there is an ever increasing number of open RCA slots nationwide. They are looking at a staffing disaster of their own creation.

hacksaaw

its one thing to be properly trained on a route, and quite another to be thrown at a real rural route of many miles, having to navigate dirt roads in wintery conditions when your trying to follow the route of travel because you have no knowledge of the area.

eunomios

Well I am going to follow up a bit more with the Union rep, but its looking like the USPS believes it can screw us, probably yet another reason why there is an ever increasing number of open RCA slots nationwide. They are looking at a staffing disaster of their own creation.
If you do end up going to help out and you would have otherwise refused, make sure you get it in writing that it is a Direct Order to report to work there and not you "voluntarily" choosing to work.

Most importantly - do not stress - the mental stress on yourself isn't worth the USPS. When you go to the other office try to enjoy yourself and meet some new people (you never know what opportunities you might find). If it is an Aux or H route it is possible to 100% Case / Load / Carry without being trained. You may run over evaluation -> you could try asking for green card time if they do not want to give training.

Any of the Regulars there "should" be happy to help out since you are, primarily, helping them out. They might number your parcels for you, help case, etc.

Ask the PM / supervisor at the other office if they would rather you fill out an etravel form or note your travel miles to office on green card / time sheet. You WILL/MUST get paid for any travel miles (To and from) to help other offices.

If there is an LLV assigned to the route and you use your PoV - make sure to note POV and miles driven on time sheet / green card.

PastOThirty

You might find that office they forced you to be what you were looking for alll along. I get being uncomfortable with different and new, but just accept it always a challenge and appreciate that there will be some struggle, at least till you have some repetition. A friend was in a similar boat but was carrying for the city side, and in the process of getting loaned out, learned a lot about the surrounding area, made some friends, and made a couple bucks just for driving there.

You might find the office is ready to need to replace a regular, and that they would be good to work for even if sub short.

You might also find a disaster, nightmare, or a general hole of a dank kind. If that is the case, my recommendation is to be extra safe, taking possibly more than enough time to both do it right and to be the ultimate defensive driver. It might mean you miss dispatch. It might mean they will hesitate to send you back.

Windindaface

You mention assigned office. Is the office you were sent to not part of your office MATRIX? If it was part of your MATRIX and untrained you are SOL.

btdtret

Charlie Brown et al -- "As of late 2017 (I think that's the time frame) the NRLCA lost a grievance on this and it's the USPS position that they can have RCA's work other offices. The USPS position is also that the only way to change this is when negotiating a new contract. I don't know if the NRLCA has tried to appeal this or is trying to take it to arbitration,...."

-- Anyone got a reference to anything on the "lost" grievance regarding sending RCA's to other offices??

-- Nothing when searching for "rca" in the KNOWLEDGEBASE Section. No luck at nrlca.org either. Of course, might not be "asking" the right question when searching.

-- Even if it is being appealed has gone to arbitration, should be something mentioned about it. ( I would think ).

Deer smearer

In the SAC thread there is a link to some updates in general.

This is in the update.

RCAs sent to other offices case: moved up.

So the USPS denied the NRLCA step 4. It sounds like the NRLCA is "taking it" farther.

Maybe mediation.
Maybe arbitration.
Maybe from behind.

btdtret

All -- A tip of the hat to "Deer smearer" for post #11.

-- In the case of an RCA volunteering to work at another post office, there is the USPS 05 APR 1999 letter from Charles Baker.

-- For that to happen, manglement has to ask the regular carrier on the RCA's assigned route if he/she plans on taking leave during the time the RCA would be volunteering at another office.

-- If yes, regular submits a leave request, making the RCA unavailable to the other office.

-- "If no, the RCA may be loaned to the other office for the day(s) in question and will be unavailable to replace the regular carrier in the home office for scheduled leave."

-- Maybe the USPS is relying on the "If no" portion while overlooking the "volunteering" part by the RCA.

-- In a bit of a stretch -- Article 30.2.C.2: When necessary or desirable, a substitute, rural carrier associate, or a rural carrier relief employee who is assigned to one route MAY BE UTILIZED on up to three routes. However, the employee's prime responsibility is to the assigned route. ( the USPS's out could be that no office is specifically noted - as I said, a bit of a stretch, not that the USPS is above "stretching" from time to time. )

PS -- Here is something from the "APO LLV - RMPO POV new requirement for RCA'S?" thread in the General Discussion ( around March 2018, or so):

Since I started, RCR's, RCA's TRC's never were required to work outside their assigned office. Then came Post Plan and then RCA's could be required to work in APO & RMPO. Is it really a stretch to foresee the next step down that road to make RCA's work at other offices and interpreting a qualified RCA as one above the dirt with a pulse. The Clerk Craft must go to other offices when needed, so I suppose the USPS will hang their hat on that little detail if this ends up at arbitration.

Last edited:

Rt2mailman

Any of the RCA's in our office that are "mandated" to work in another office, and don't want to, make it as painful as possible to the USPS. They get time and mileage to and from (driving very slow for "safety"), they work even slower maxing out the hours to case and deliver. They rarely get called to work there again. There is more than one way to "skin a route".

Just keep paying those dues! We need to keep them playing dress up and partying. They work so hard for us!:(;):LOL::ROFLMAO::poop:

Charlie Brown et al -- "As of late 2017 (I think that's the time frame) the NRLCA lost a grievance on this and it's the USPS position that they can have RCA's work other offices. The USPS position is also that the only way to change this is when negotiating a new contract. I don't know if the NRLCA has tried to appeal this or is trying to take it to arbitration,...."

-- Anyone got a reference to anything on the "lost" grievance regarding sending RCA's to other offices??

-- Nothing when searching for "rca" in the KNOWLEDGEBASE Section. No luck at nrlca.org either. Of course, might not be "asking" the right question when searching.

-- Even if it is being appealed has gone to arbitration, should be something mentioned about it. ( I would think ).
It was a 3 or 4 page grievance decision, I only copied the last page to my files because that was the one that basically summed up the important part.

Attachments

hacksaaw

talked to the district rep, this is apparently in arbitration. with basically 4 options for the RCA, 1) just do it, 2) do it and grieve it, 3 don't do it and grieve the discipline, 4 quit.

really sucks since the nearly 5 years ago when I was hired I was explicitedly told by the then postmaster that I did have the veto right to other work. Of course that was before we had these temporary clerks acting as PMs.