From Mileage to Evaluated System

tedo1215

Best answers
It would be interesting to know how long it took to change from routes being paid according to mileage and to the current evaluated system. When I started as a sub the route I was on was paid based on the mileage and not on a mail count as long as the regular carrier stayed on that route. When he retired it changed to the hourly evaluated system. I wonder how long they had to work to come up with the time standards and to implement the current system? Probably not as long as it is taking with RRECS.

Rt2mailman

Best answers
I don't think any carriers except auxiliary route carriers were ever paid by a "mileage" system since before 1950. If your former regular could have been still being paid under that system he would have had to be more than 90 years old.

tedo1215

Best answers
Mileage system lasted well pass the 50's. He retired in 1986 and has since passed away. I was paid based on mileage till he retired then it was converted to the hourly evaluated. I'm guessing the new hourly evaluated system came in the late 60's or early 70's. The regular carriers had the option to stay mileage or go with new system if they stayed on their current route. I was wondering if anyone knew how long it took to study and implement?

C$$

Best answers
I'm no expert, but I did read a letter from the 1970s that @Wilco183 posted in this thread:

There is some further discussion there as well.

I'm going off of memory, but here's how I remember it.
The "Heavy Duty" system is the seed of the evaluation system we have today.
The "Rural Carrier Schedule" is the mileage system you refer.

Don't remember if there was any time frame for converting from Schedule to Heavy Duty mentioned in the letter...

Last edited:

DB.Cooper

Best answers
I never really understood the term "Heavy" with rural routes.... it said that on many of my old form 50's..... were there any "Light" routes???? :unsure:

psd181

Best answers
I never really understood the term "Heavy" with rural routes.... it said that on many of my old form 50's..... were there any "Light" routes???? :unsure:
Heavy refers to how things were changed from mileage only to volume, boxes, and miles; happened in the 60's . This was under the Post Office Dept. and turned into the evaluated system. There was something else on the form 50 to denote route was under the new evaluated system and had undergone a mail count. This was the thing about retirees referred to in previous posts. As long as the carrier remained on a route, they had a choice evaluted or mileage or something like that. I think the thing was a "V" meaning vacated and therefore was under the evaluated system only.

Gotrope

Best answers
I was told by several former National officers, whom served during that time, there were no time studies or anything solid to confirm time allotments, the evaluated system was people tossing numbers back and forth until agreed upon. The other thing to consider is route demographics were considerably different than a rural route today.

Altoonaflyer

Best answers
I was told by several former National officers, whom served during that time, there were no time studies or anything solid to confirm time allotments, the evaluated system was people tossing numbers back and forth until agreed upon. The other thing to consider is route demographics were considerably different than a rural route today.
Correct...my father-in-law was carrying during that time and confirms that the evaluated times were never meant to reflect actual times for anything...they were actually just part of a formula that came close to evaluating most routes with a number most carriers could meet.
This is why we have suffered such a hit to our evaluations when mgmt started cherry-picking our time standards. The individual standards were only to be viewed as part of the whole system, not stand alone actual times!