Full-Time Driving Safety Instructor Position Now Available to Rural Carriers

Ruralinfo

Administrator
Staff member
The NRLCA has been in discussion with USPS Officials on the eligibility of rural craft employees to apply for the position of Full-Time Driving Safety Instructor. Several rural carriers around the country have expressed interest in the position. However, the...

Continue reading...

Voglio-il mio

I read this on the NRLCA web site. The way its written it sounds like they are discouraging anyone from applying for this position.

If you are a rural carrier and are "qualified" and selected for this position, there's no looking back...unless you are teaching the newbies about the reverse gear. I wonder if it pays more than a safety captain makes...

btdtret

Voglio-il mio et al -- "I read this on the NRLCA web site. The way its written it sounds like they are discouraging anyone from applying for this position."

-- "Discouraging" is putting it mildly ( IMHO )!

-- In BOLD LETTERS: "YOU WILL BE TRANSFERRED PERMANENTLY TO THE CLERK CRAFT."

-- You will relinquish your rural route with no recourse. ( that should make some RCA's happy! )

-- You will not be able to transfer back to the rural carrier craft without resigning and being re-hired as an RCA or ARC. ( In some locations, RCA's make more money than regulars. Of course have to work, work, and work to do so. )

-- You will be represented by the APWU. ( already under their pay program, thanks to Arbitrator Clarke )

-- It is not a part of our bargaining unit and provides no opportunity to return to the rural craft. (no more missed scans, no "Back by 5 -- no matter what!", etc.)

-- The NRLCA National Board seem to be making it out as a bad thing.

-- Also seems to confirm something of a conspiracy ( DB? ) to keep rural carriers in their craft - period.

gotstamps

The best part of this job is that you become part of a craft with a
union that keeps it's members informed, and doesn't sneer at or belittle them.
The clerks in my office would argue that statement. Their representation here is almost nonexistent & don’t feel that their grievances are taken seriously or dealt with timely.
They envy our Union but we do have Stews in office that are proactive & they don’t.

PastOThirty

On lite blue, on eCareers (usually for EAS jobs) or eReassign (for craft duty assignment changes) are the main choices for internal postings. As it is considered a craft job, you probably have to go through eReassign. However, as until this ruling come about, no rural carriers could reassign to other crafts, so perhaps a computer system limitation/inadequacy will prevent the application process along typical methods.

That being said, you should still have all the in-office and district-wide jobs posted somewhere in the office as they come available, including in-craft, EAS, and reassignment opportunities for other crafts (which would encompass all other craft jobs outside of rural carriers, including the driving instructor position), and perhaps even detail opportunities.

John Winger

I was joking haha. There are no postings near me otherwise I would apply. If I could make one change, other than making 1 table for all rurals, it would be to allow rural carriers to switch crafts just like other craft employees. It's total garbage that I can't go for a mechanic position without quitting and then hoping I get hired. A clerk on the other hand, can put a transfer in for a maintenance position and work 8 to 5, M - F.

Ticks me off