Guarantee Period and Xmas Overtime

btdtret

sinister minister et al -- "Can someone explain the byzantine formula that is Xmas overtime rate calculation based on Guarantee Period?"

-- From the 2019 postal bulletin pb2253 ( probably won't change for the 2021 Christmas season:

- The overtime rate paid to regular ( FLSA Code B ) carriers is 150 percent of the carrier's regular rate. The regular rate is determined by dividing the total compensation received for hours actually worked by the carrier since the beginning of the Guarantee Year ( not including overtime ), by the total number of hours worked since the beginning of the Guarantee Year ( not including overtime ). This overtime rate is used for both FLSA overtime and Christmas overtime.

"How can it work to our favor/detriment?"

-- One would have to figure if the USPS developed the "formula", then it would be detrimental to rural carriers.

-- Probably first developed way back when carriers were ( consistently ) working under their evaluation leading up to the Christmas period ( i.e. prior to the Amazon avalanche )

-- Also note there were / are different "peak" seasons for the different crafts.

- for the APWU for the 2017, it was 11 NOV 2017 through 5 JAN 2018 ( nearly 8 weeks ) while the rural carriers got the usual 3 weeks of the "special overtime rate".

-- Another interesting tidbit from postal bulletin 22478: For the APWU and NALC, the Penalty Overtime Exclusion period for 2017 was from 02 DEC 2017 to 29 DEC 2017. ( apparently the USPS CAN have it their way )

gotstamps

"The regular rate is determined by.........."

Is there a way to find out what this number is, or do we just assume the USPS will do the right and honest measurement?
The only way is to go on Liteblue & do the math using your paystubs. The Less hours you work, the more you make per hour. That # will be used for the SPECIAL OT rate calculation.

Beanut

sinister minister et al -- "Can someone explain the byzantine formula that is Xmas overtime rate calculation based on Guarantee Period?"

-- From the 2019 postal bulletin pb2253 ( probably won't change for the 2021 Christmas season:

- The overtime rate paid to regular ( FLSA Code B ) carriers is 150 percent of the carrier's regular rate. The regular rate is determined by dividing the total compensation received for hours actually worked by the carrier since the beginning of the Guarantee Year ( not including overtime ), by the total number of hours worked since the beginning of the Guarantee Year ( not including overtime ). This overtime rate is used for both FLSA overtime and Christmas overtime.

"How can it work to our favor/detriment?"

-- One would have to figure if the USPS developed the "formula", then it would be detrimental to rural carriers.

-- Probably first developed way back when carriers were ( consistently ) working under their evaluation leading up to the Christmas period ( i.e. prior to the Amazon avalanche )

-- Also note there were / are different "peak" seasons for the different crafts.

- for the APWU for the 2017, it was 11 NOV 2017 through 5 JAN 2018 ( nearly 8 weeks ) while the rural carriers got the usual 3 weeks of the "special overtime rate".

-- Another interesting tidbit from postal bulletin 22478: For the APWU and NALC, the Penalty Overtime Exclusion period for 2017 was from 02 DEC 2017 to 29 DEC 2017. ( apparently the USPS CAN have it their way )
I should know this by now…
But is the entire Christmas Period straight time?
Or is it evaluated time unless you go over 40hrs then straight time w/OT (like it is for RCAs all the time )

Or evaluated time unless you go over Evaluated time then straight time w/OT?

***Looking at my pay stubs from last December it looks like I was paid evaluated time. I don’t usually go over evaluation even in December.

Oi veh.

Staff member
I should know this by now…
But is the entire Christmas Period straight time?
Or is it evaluated time unless you go over 40hrs then straight time w/OT (like it is for RCAs all the time )

Or evaluated time unless you go over Evaluated time then straight time w/OT?

***Looking at my pay stubs from last December it looks like I was paid evaluated time. I don’t usually go over evaluation even in December.
evaluated time until you hit eval.

then it's either OT or (my preference---->) get sent home early on friday. (maybe thursday and day off friday if you're really hammered).

Beanut

evaluated time until you hit eval.

then it's either OT or (my preference---->) get sent home early on friday. (maybe thursday and day off friday if you're really hammered).
Then I really don’t understand the carrier that goes slower because she’s “afraid” she will be paid actual time….and will be paid less. She’s still under evaluation so really she’s just getting paid the same and getting home later

Oi veh.

Staff member
Then I really don’t understand the carrier that goes slower because she’s “afraid” she will be paid actual time….and will be paid less. She’s still under evaluation so really she’s just getting paid the same and getting home later
maybe you need to explain to her the crazy 3 week craziness known as "the no-overtime period".

i make sure to be super ultra positively safe and check everything twice. 😁