• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Has anyone been checking radar numbers?

Our clerks end up on a naughty list if we deliver a package that wasn't scanned aau so the package still shows delivered and at what address. Our clerks have been instructed to put a red mark on every package scanned aau and if we receive one without a mark give it back. They have been doing this for a few years.
Ha!!! Ours, including PM, just falsify at end of day the AAU scan. It can be manipulated 🤬

Marking with red sounds like a time waster to me, but whatever just don't hold me up from leaving when I'm ready to go! Oh and by the way how are you getting paid to hand packages back to clerks & where is that in the Contract.
It doesn't take them any time they hold the marker and scanner in the same hand and just rotate enough to make a red mark by address. It's a small office so I am able to tell them they missed one and they come to me as I continue putting parcel markers in. Might only happen once a month. Even if aau does affect us the time factor for a couple parcel averaged over 52 weeks is almost nothing.

Oh man, I didn't even think about those too!! Good ol' UPS & the stickers on the barcodes!! Or the ones where somebody used a marker & blacked out a couple lines on the barcode!! Amazon with the blurry lines on the barcode! C'mon Gotrope, we. need. answers. Lol
Mine will spend, literally 20 minutes ( I timed my namesake) looking up UPS, FedEx, who ever label it is just to track down our label so a new label is printed

What do you do with the business closed Mail from Saturday?
Its scanned as Business Closed on day its recieved (Saturday), Scanned Out for Redelivery (Monday) on the day Business has reopened and delivered (Monday). This is a different situation then what we are talking about above. We handle holds the same way, Scan as hold during hold time period, when hold is over scan as Out for Redelivery and Deliver.

Its scanned as Business Closed on day its recieved (Saturday), Scanned Out for Redelivery (Monday) on the day Business has reopened and delivered (Monday). This is a different situation then what we are talking about above. We handle holds the same way, Scan as hold during hold time period, when hold is over scan as Out for Redelivery and Deliver.
So to clarify/summarize on how you handle a parcel for a closed business.
Saturday = Scan closed, Scan Out for redelivery, Deliver next delivery day
Sunday/Holiday = Scan Closed, Leave 3849- Don't deliver next delivery day?

Last edited:
I understand your point but you don't understand mine, if you don't redeliver Monday through Saturday why would you make the exception occurrences for Sundays & Holidays.
Well, I do redeliver parcels Mon-Sat if I need to bring parcel back back for whatever reason. I think that's our district's policy. Also, you're telling me that your RCAs/ARCs are writing out 3849s for parcels they're not delivering on Sundays/Holidays? I've never heard of this practice

It doesn't take them any time they hold the marker and scanner in the same hand and just rotate enough to make a red mark by address. It's a small office so I am able to tell them they missed one and they come to me as I continue putting parcel markers in. Might only happen once a month. Even if aau does affect us the time factor for a couple parcel averaged over 52 weeks is almost nothing.
Yeah Ok, But I have a hard time with changing SOP to accommodate failure to achieve compliance. I come from over 25 years of management background prior to USPS so my tolerance for accepting substandard performance is only limited. You Train, develop and counsel or give corrective advice to achieve those standards. You don't change the standards to match the abilities of those performing them. You should be training to the established procedures.

BUT is the AAU scan needed to trigger full delivery credit of that pkg through the Rrecs system once delivery is scanned at the residence?
I'm assuming "hold" parcels are scanned "accepted" in your actual office, therefore those parcels are in the system. I'm wondering about parcels that are scanned "accepted" on Sunday/Holiday in a different office, to a "static" route. Then brought back to your home office because it couldn't be delivered. Wouldn't those need to be scanned "accepted" in your home office?

So to clarify/summarize on how you handle a parcel for a closed business.
Saturday = Scan closed, Scan Out for redelivery, Deliver next delivery day
The original topic was packages being brought back undelivered by relief carriers on Sundays and Holidays, at that point we were not discussing Businesses.

Correct!

On Monday or the day after a Holiday if it on my cart I assume everything has been properly done prior to my getting it and I just deliver.

If ARC, RCA or PTF has already attempted it on Sunday or the Holiday why should I attempt again the day after?

Don't know what you mean "Scan Closed"? If you are referring to a Business being close for a Sunday or Holiday package, then yes I would redeliver on the next day they are open. But if it's just a residence its scanned as attempted and a PS3849 is left at house for them to come get or request redelivery.

Well, I do redeliver parcels Mon-Sat if I need to bring parcel back back for whatever reason. I think that's our district's policy. Also, you're telling me that your RCAs/ARCs are writing out 3849s for parcels they're not delivering on Sundays/Holidays? I've never heard of this practice
Look I'm not looking to change the way anybody does what they do but to continually redeliver the same packages seems counterproductive. Proper compensation for delivering it once is questionable at best I can't imagine having it be taken to the route multiple times. Do you leave a PS3849 the first time you bring it to the route? If so what do you do if the day after when you bring it back out the customer shows up at the PO to pick up and you have it with you? If you don't leave a PS3849, Why?

The original topic was packages being brought back undelivered by relief carriers on Sundays and Holidays, at that point we were not discussing Businesses.

Correct!

On Monday or the day after a Holiday if it on my cart I assume everything has been properly done prior to my getting it and I just deliver.

If ARC, RCA or PTF has already attempted it on Sunday or the Holiday why should I attempt again the day after?

Don't know what you mean "Scan Closed"? If you are referring to a Business being close for a Sunday or Holiday package, then yes I would redeliver on the next day they are open. But if it's just a residence its scanned as attempted and a PS3849 is left at house for them to come get or request redelivery.
I guess I saw your reply (34) to post 31 where it says "business closed". 🤷‍♂️

BUT is the AAU scan needed to trigger full delivery credit of that pkg through the Rrecs system once delivery is scanned at the residence?
That's just another one of those great unknown questions. I'm sure that when the RRECS procedure's were written the scan for Out for Redelivery was overlooked for credit to be given to Rural Carriers.

Last edited:
I'm assuming "hold" parcels are scanned "accepted" in your actual office, therefore those parcels are in the system. I'm wondering about parcels that are scanned "accepted" on Sunday/Holiday in a different office, to a "static" route. Then brought back to your home office because it couldn't be delivered. Wouldn't those need to be scanned "accepted" in your home office?
Why are they not left at the Amazon Hub or Spoke and brought to you through normal channels & distribution with the rest of your packages from the plant.

See Post # 57 From "43 months"

The first question would be why are they not delivering them? All Amazon packages should be delivered on Sundays or Holidays without exception as that was the agreement with them. Liability for stolen or missing deliveries are covered by Amazon. If they do bring them back why wouldn't they leave a PS3849 its their job! The only reason I could think of for non delivery or not leaving a PS3849 would be the inability to find the address.

Last edited:
I have been told that the left over sunday Amazon we deliver through the beginning of the week is from them not having enough carriers to get it all done on Sunday.
Our Hub started a new system last fall. Each office covers there own. So if an office is down carriers. Other office's carriers don't have to help cover down routes anymore. That office has to pick up the slack. If they can't cover, parcels have been rolled.

Back