• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

High Option Question

Crab Rice

I'm eligible for the High Option J-Route this year and want to take advantage of it. My problem is, we have an interim postmaster at my office who is a bit dim. She doesn't know what to do despite me asking her to get going on the procedure of this all. I know I have to give in writing to her that I agree I will not go over 2080 hours a year. Also that a 4003 has to be done where you select "high option" and place an "X" in the option election box.

My question is...Is this done in the on-line 4003 or is it a printed form that needs to be sent in?

Also, what is the timeframe I need to get this in by? We are about 4 weeks out from the guarantee period now.

Thanks

I know many of these people running these PO's are not exactly to bright, but is there a reason your incompetent PM cannot ask someone how to do it ?

That is the problem we have our LIC (loser in charge) does not ask others for help, so usually it takes FOREVER to get anything done.

When you sign the form agreeing to the results of the count, there is a place where you can elect the high option. You need to have ten years in as a regular to do this.

When you sign the form agreeing to the results of the count, there is a place where you can elect the high option. You need to have ten years in as a regular to do this.
Well, we are not counting in my office. But I think I recall that the form comes out for a signature anyway on all routes, right? So I just wait for that form and elect it then?

Problem is, last year one of the older carriers was NOT given the option. He was on a J Route and it went away. He tried to get them to do it and got the standard "Too bad, too late now. Sorry." answer from management. I don't want to have this happen to me and am just trying to stay ahead of the game here. I need to get my High Three in as I want to get out of this outfit in a few years. :)

I know many of these people running these PO's are not exactly to bright, but is there a reason your incompetent PM cannot ask someone how to do it ?

That is the problem we have our LIC (loser in charge) does not ask others for help, so usually it takes FOREVER to get anything done.
She's one of those "I sent an email and haven't heard anything yet." kind of people. Nice, but gets little done.

I have no idea what Mgmt. has to do but what you have to do is, put it in writing. Write a brief request to elect high option for the next guarantee year, sign it, date it, round stamp it and make a copy. Take the original and give it to the PM, mark your copy with the time and date you gave the original to the PM and ask her to initial that. It's her problem to get the paperwork done, if she doesn't, you have a winnable grievance as long as you have a copy of the written request.

Crab Rice -- "I'm eligible for the High Option J-Route this year and want to take advantage of it. My problem is, we have an interim postmaster at my office who is a bit dim. She doesn't know what to do despite me asking her to get going on the procedure of this all."

-- If you really want to get the High Option, lead the LIC by the hand and if need by put the documents in her hand!

-- Thanks to Arbitrator Clarke, regular carriers need to have 10 years of service as a regular. Check?

-- If the LIC does not have a copy of the USPS-NRLCA in the office -- ask why?

-- From your down loaded contract, print out Article 9.2.C.7. and give it to the LIC.

-- Highlight: b. Reviews:

(1) National Count, Interim Adjustment, or Special Count.

At the time of the national count, interim adjustment, special count ( 17 September ) or just prior to the beginning of the guarantee year period ( 12 October ) the postmaster [ or LIC ] MUSTarrange a meeting with EACH eligible rural carrier to discuss requirements for election of a higher classification for which the rural carrier may qualify.

" I know I have to give in writing to her that I agree I will not go over 2080 hours a year. "

-- That used to be PS Form 4015-A. ( might as well print that too. One for her and one for you. And round-dated if need be )

"Also that a 4003 has to be done where you select "high option" and place an "X" in the option election box."

-- From you OP, I gather you are NOT participating in count. In that case, the PS Form 4014-A will suffice.

-- But if you are participating in the special count, then you would be signing the PS Form 4241 ( Rual Delivery Statistics Report ) in the bottom right-hand corner:

Carrier's Signature for "Leave Commitment"

-- One caveat: There is a second line to sign by which you are also agreeing that the count data is correct.

-- If you don't agree, put disputed items in writing. Once corrected, then proceed with signing the 4241 so you can get the High Option

-- If the LIC is reluctant or unwilling to take your word or supplied documents at face value, have your Assistant District Representative deal with the LIC.

-- Good luck - with the LIC, and in getting the High Option.

-- May as well act on "Charlie Brown's" suggestion too. ( can never have enough positive documentation when dealing with manglement )

Simple just file a grievance stating problem, " Why is postmaster not trained on how to administer personnel changes in system". I'm having to do the same thing for PM not being trained on how to update a 4003 and line of travel. So Sad!

I'm eligible for the High Option J-Route this year and want to take advantage of it. My problem is, we have an interim postmaster at my office who is a bit dim. She doesn't know what to do despite me asking her to get going on the procedure of this all. I know I have to give in writing to her that I agree I will not go over 2080 hours a year. Also that a 4003 has to be done where you select "high option" and place an "X" in the option election box.

My question is...Is this done in the on-line 4003 or is it a printed form that needs to be sent in?

Also, what is the timeframe I need to get this in by? We are about 4 weeks out from the guarantee period now.

Thanks

If you have a shortage of subs you will make more money working overtime than High option. Management was wondering why are area many carriers got off high option. The only benefit to high option is if you have subs,

Simple just file a grievance stating problem, " Why is postmaster not trained on how to administer personnel changes in system". I'm having to do the same thing for PM not being trained on how to update a 4003 and line of travel. So Sad!
Someone in my Po asked for a copy of the 4003 for his/her route, loser pm's response was "do you really need it ?", what kind of response is that ???

hockey94 -- "Someone in my Po asked for a copy of the 4003 for his/her route, loser pm's response was "do you really need it ?", what kind of response is that ??? "

-- One that might make the dream of getting rid of your loser PM come true.

-- If the PM can not produce a copy of the 4003 for the carrier, the carrier should file a grievance. 4003's are OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS and MUST be available in cases like this.

-- The grievance should alert District that the PM is a lousey keeper of records or is just plain lazy of both - and probably should be moving on to ruin some other post office.

-- In the mean time, the other post offices in your area should be thanking you for having the PM at your office so he doesn't mess up theirs.

-- For the carrier in question, how is his / her Route Book? Does it have all the required forms, the PO-603, a route map? While it is up to the carrier to keep the Route Book up to date, manglement will be the source of missing forms. If manglement can on provide copies of the 4241-A, etc, more grievances, which might grease the skids even more.

-- How about other carriers in the office - any missing forms?

If you have a shortage of subs you will make more money working overtime than High option. Management was wondering why are area many carriers got off high option. The only benefit to high option is if you have subs.
I think I've read here that OT worked does not count towards one's high 3, as high 3 is based on Evaluated time. My next ? is...does taking 'high option' drive up one's high 3?

I think I've read here that OT worked does not count towards one's high 3, as high 3 is based on Evaluated time. My next ? is...does taking 'high option' drive up one's high 3?
Yes, it does. Many carriers take some LWOP (can affect your leave earning) because you don't have to work up to the evaluation, that part is irrelevant. Your high three is based on your evaluation, not on what you worked.

It is my understanding that the Rural Analyst at district level takes care of this once paperwork has been submitted, so you can tell that to your dim-witted PM and see if it sets off a light bulb.

And as always, contact your union rep for help.

hockey94 -- "Someone in my Po asked for a copy of the 4003 for his/her route, loser pm's response was "do you really need it ?", what kind of response is that ??? "

-- One that might make the dream of getting rid of your loser PM come true.

-- If the PM can not produce a copy of the 4003 for the carrier, the carrier should file a grievance. 4003's are OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS and MUST be available in cases like this.

-- The grievance should alert District that the PM is a lousey keeper of records or is just plain lazy of both - and probably should be moving on to ruin some other post office.

-- In the mean time, the other post offices in your area should be thanking you for having the PM at your office so he doesn't mess up theirs.

-- For the carrier in question, how is his / her Route Book? Does it have all the required forms, the PO-603, a route map? While it is up to the carrier to keep the Route Book up to date, manglement will be the source of missing forms. If manglement can on provide copies of the 4241-A, etc, more grievances, which might grease the skids even more.

-- How about other carriers in the office - any missing forms?
I wish pm person would just leave for good, and retire, why should this person leave, he/she does little or no work.

Person will not file a grievance for whatever reason and I try to stay out of things like this.

This person has been moved plenty of times, I can see our PO being persons last stop.

Route book to the best of my knowlege is most likely up to date.

We have very few ppl in this office and any trouble that is stirred up is by me and pm will know its ME, and I do not want to visit that scenario.

Thanks

Mgmt needs only print out a 4015-A for you to fill out & sign. Get mgmt to date stamp when you turn it in & get a copy. High Option will be effective at the beginning of the Guarantee Period, October 12.

Back