• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Hmmm deliver scan question

Lyra

So I understand we’re supposed to be getting paid by the scanner and that’s including our footsteps and all that… But take this Christmas.. we didn’t have enough scanners and the subs would take some of our packages. but they would scan them in the office delivered before they took him on the street.. because they had to give us the scanner back, we literally had no extra

I know we’re getting new scanners but they’re supposed to be like over $1000 each do you really think we’re going to get an extra one??

I wonder how this is going to screw us over.

So I understand we’re supposed to be getting paid by the scanner and that’s including our footsteps and all that… But take this Christmas.. we didn’t have enough scanners and the subs would take some of our packages. but they would scan them in the office delivered before they took him on the street.. because they had to give us the scanner back, we literally had no extra

I know we’re getting new scanners but they’re supposed to be like over $1000 each do you really think we’re going to get an extra one??

My understanding:

1) You won't be paid per footstep
2) They will have where you park (the DDD -> direct door delivery point) and the front door (or wherever you drop packages) in a database. Building this database is part of the "mapping" process.
3) When you scan a package as "delivered to front door" for example, they will use the coordinates of the DDD and the front door from the database and calculate the straight line distance b/n them.
4) This is the walking distance you will be paid, regardless of how far you actually walk.

My office still has a rack of the old scanners, the ones before the current Dolphin. They send subs out with those sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if offices hang onto some Dolphins when the Zebras get here.

For the database math above, it doesn't really matter what scanner is used. I *think* they need/want the Zebras for the simplified mapping, but that is only my conjecture.

Actually, the current scanners are almost $3000, and the new ones are about $2000.... so... yeah, think of that as you're using it to bust ice off those frozen mailboxes.... ? :giggle:

Actually, the current scanners are almost $3000, and the new ones are about $2000.... so... yeah, think of that as you're using it to bust ice off those frozen mailboxes.... ? :giggle:
Good grief..... last week,we had a nice cold snap, and about a foot and a half of snow. It rained the day before, so several boxes was iced closed. Most of these boxes, I was able to hit them with the Pinkey side of my fist and break them open. However, several, I was unsuccessful getting open, so I just brought mail back. I’ve been meaning to buy a small rubber mallet for this purpose, but keep forgetting my “round to it” at home when I go to town. At those boxes, as I’m hitting my hand on the box, kicking myself in the arse for forgetting my “round to it” last time I went to town, never once did it occur to me, I really do have a nice “plastic mallet” sitting right beside me to hammer those boxes open. We’re supposed to get cold snapped Thursday, so I’ll try out this “scammer hammer” in a few days to see how well it works. I’ll bet it don’t bruise like my Pinkey side of my fist does.....

(And yes, I really do have a “round to it”. A friend gave it to me for Christmas several years ago. It’s a wooden coin, about the size of a silver dollar.... I don’t recall it’s actual words written upon it, but it basically says “here’s my “round to it” for all those times I’ve said “when I get around to it””.... I carried it with me for a few years, but it eventually found its way into my “catch all” drawer in the kitchen cupboard. But I occasionally stumble upon my “round to it”, and it always reminds me of times like this. “When I get around to it”)

I've got a rubber mallet under my seat.... it comes in quite handy on those icy days.... but, I'd use the scammer hammer before I use my hand to beat on frozen boxes... that hand still has to last me awhile, and it's not easily replaced.... just sayin'.... ?????
Only had to break ice off boxes once in my career, pulled up to the first box and nearly lost my finger! Luckily always had tools w me then and grabbed a pair of slipjoint pliers, no scanners then, and learned to appreciate what my Northern brethren endure during winter delivery. 1989 was cold in the South:)

I have improvised a time or two out there on the route. I have picked up a small piece of a tree limb or branch, broken it to suitable length and used it to tap on frozen mailboxes quite successfully. When I forgot to bring scissors or knife I have stopped to pick up a sharp edged rock to cut the straps on the hated bundles of box holder MSpark advertismemts we deliver here in my neck of the woods.

Well I’ll be.....
The scammer hammer works quite well. And my hand isn’t anywhere as near as sore as it was a couple weeks ago....
Although, there is a few weird scars on the scammer hammer I didn’t notice before.... hhhhhhmmmmmmmmm

I have improvised a time or two out there on the route. I have picked up a small piece of a tree limb or branch, broken it to suitable length and used it to tap on frozen mailboxes quite successfully. When I forgot to bring scissors or knife I have stopped to pick up a sharp edged rock to cut the straps on the hated bundles of box holder MSpark advertismemts we deliver here in my neck of the woods.

FYI, just a little tip for you and all others that don't know! I you flip over the strap on bundles right where it is joined together, you will find a small tab that can be pulled that will break the strap. No scissors or anything sharp needed!

Back